PDA

View Full Version : PT Miniwave LED

rktman26
07-23-2008, 18:48
I took the plunge and bought this light. I'll be using it Friday on an offshore night dive. I'll post here again for anyone interested in how the light does.

mitsuguy
07-24-2008, 05:51
it's an awesome, cheap, relatively bright light that doesn't take up a whole lot of room...

my wife and I both have one and they are great little lights... half the burn time of the 8 cell light, but really, who cares... I carry mine on every dive and have spent at least 12 hours underwater on night dives and only on my second set of batteries..

rktman26
07-24-2008, 19:18
I'm looking forward to using it. This will be my first offshore night dive.

Rileybri
07-24-2008, 19:47
Ya I took the plunge on the Shockwave LED (8cell) yesterday. it will be a dedicated night/muck diving light and I have a decent back up for general use. Cant wait to get it!

rktman26
07-26-2008, 18:50
Used it last night on the Indra, and it worked awesome. My buddy bought the 8 cell version, and they appeared to be the same brightness. The light is lightweight, almost neutral, and pretty bright.

I know it's not a high dollar light, but I've not done a lot of night dives, and I think it will fit my needs nicely.

Coaster
07-26-2008, 20:47
Good light, eh...glad you like it...as I said before, I like mine. Rocket, how did you carry your light?

rktman26
07-27-2008, 08:06
A double-ender to a D-ring on my BC, for now, when I'm not using it. WHen I am using it, just the wrist lanyard. My buddy used one of these:

CRLO3, Light Accessories, Cetecea, CRLO3 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3)

And he seemed to like it pretty well. I'd be interested in what some of the more experienced folks are using to carry theirs.

Coaster
07-27-2008, 14:47
I have a CRL03 (from ST) and like it. It has paid for itself already. With the miniwave size, my wrist lanyard is OK although I dont care for it on my wrist all the time.

I think there are better options to the coil, but for now it is fine...dont do that much night diving and use my PT PCa or PT LITE LED (wrist lanyard) for day dives.

Travelnsj
07-27-2008, 16:17
I bought one a couple of months ago. Unfortunitly have not been able to use it yet. I like the weight and size. Will be taking it to Lembeh and Raja in three months.....I know people who have Light Cannons...I would hate to carry one of those around.

chinacat46
07-27-2008, 16:24
I bought one a couple of months ago. Unfortunitly have not been able to use it yet. I like the weight and size. Will be taking it to Lembeh and Raja in three months.....I know people who have Light Cannons...I would hate to carry one of those around.

Yeah but my light cannon is alot brighter then your light and it's over 4 years old. They didn't even make your light then. So what should I do throw it away and replace it? If I was getting a light now I think I'd go for the Dive Rite LED that is as bright as my light cannon and probably weights less then your new light.

Travelnsj
07-27-2008, 16:27

Yeah but my light cannon is alot brighter then your light and it's over 4 years old. They didn't even make your light then. So what should I do throw it away and replace it? If I was getting a light now I think I'd go for the Dive Rite LED that is as bright as my light cannon and probably weights less then your new light.

I'm laughing so hard....I was wondering if you were going to see this post!

chinacat46
07-27-2008, 16:34
Yeah well at least I use my light I just don't carry it around. If I had taken my light to Little Caymen it would have been used 2-4 times instead of just gone for the trip.

Travelnsj
07-27-2008, 16:42
Hey I prepaid for a night dive and it was canceled three times. The day it looked calm to go out that night a lady had a compound fracture earlier in the day as she was not holding onto anything and fell going thru the channel. Thus they would not take any chances....And no they did not refund the dive...The intention was there.....my kewl lite was ready....:smiley13:.....But I will use it in Lembeh:smiley20:

chinacat46
07-27-2008, 16:46
Good the best dive I've ever done bar none was a night dive I did at Lembeh.

Travelnsj
07-27-2008, 16:52
One of my favorite night dives (except the Manta dive in Kona) was at The Zoo in Wakatobi......what was really cool there were all these people with lights that made the Light Cannon look Dim!....everything was lit up!

chinacat46
07-27-2008, 17:09
One of my favorite night dives (except the Manta dive in Kona) was at The Zoo in Wakatobi......what was really cool there were all these people with lights that made the Light Cannon look Dim!....everything was lit up!

WoW! If those lights make the Light Cannon look dim it would make your light seem like it was off.:smilie39::smilie39:

Travelnsj
07-27-2008, 17:25
I had my old PT shockwave....it was a waste turning on! My dive Buddy had a couple of those Photographers lites (as did other people) that lit up the underwater. One person did have a Light Cannon good but not as bright as the (i think they are called) Hartenberger lites.

chinacat46
07-27-2008, 17:28
I bet that old PT shockwave weights about the same as the Light Cannon I bet your glad to get rid of it. Not to mention how dim it was.

rktman26
07-27-2008, 18:21
I have a CRL03 (from ST) and like it. It has paid for itself already. With the miniwave size, my wrist lanyard is OK although I dont care for it on my wrist all the time.

I think there are better options to the coil, but for now it is fine...dont do that much night diving and use my PT PCa or PT LITE LED (wrist lanyard) for day dives.

I think I'll try the CRL03.

Travelnsj
07-27-2008, 23:02
I bet that old PT shockwave weights about the same as the Light Cannon I bet your glad to get rid of it. Not to mention how dim it was.

You bet i'm glad to be rid of it...I'll save 1kg on Lion Air:smiley20: