PDA

View Full Version : Ikelite Domes....etc

anERdoc
07-23-2008, 19:47
Hello...First post here....I am in the process of getting some uw photography equipment. I own a Canon 20D....Im a decent photographer on land, but I have to admit, I do not know the first thing about shooting underwater. I made an attempt in my pool this afternoon and now my camera is all soggy and doesnt work....what am I doing wrong?

Ok, kidding about that....however, I did buy an ikelite housing....I have not committed to a lens, yet, but I am pretty sure I am going to try out the stock Canon 18-55 lens that came with the kit. For this to work, apparently I can buy a 6 inch dome or an 8 inch dome....is either "better" for any reason other than the 8 inch is compatible with more lenses?

dbh
07-23-2008, 19:54
The 18-55 is neither a wide angle lens nor a macro lens. It will be decent for fish portraits. You will catch the fever after a few dives with your camera and want different lenses. When you move to the 10-22, you will want the 8" dome so you might as well buy it now and save the pain (& loss) when you sell the 6" dome and buy it later anyway.

The above is MHO.

Dave

allison finch
08-23-2008, 08:32
I agree that you might outgrow the 6" dome quickly. I was advised to buy the 6" dome with my Tokina 10-17 lens. It was bad advise, as I get serious vignetting as you can see

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/2634019030_54868675aa_o.jpg

I have just bought the 8" dome and will get it wet soon. Save your money and get the 8".

Aussie
08-23-2008, 09:35
I would also recommend the 8 inch dome. Especially if your going to go into underwater photography.

Yes its alot more money than a single 6 inch dome but you can use it for a large range of lenses by simply using different port spacers.

Have a look at the Tokina 10-17mm lens. Its available in both Canon and Nikon and I just simply loveit. Its also reasonably priced when compared to other wide angles.

Another lens to look at is the Sigma 17-70mm Macro. This lens is also very popular and well prices. It also great behind the 8 inch dome. Thie lens is great for everything between the Tokina 10-17mm and a good macro (60mm, 100mm).

Regards Mark