PDA

View Full Version : Anybody planning a trip to the Pacific?

deepdiver47
08-10-2007, 13:08
I am planning a trip in January to Bulaken Island in in Indonesia. Anyone else planning something?

thesmoothdome
08-10-2007, 14:57
The wife and I will be on the Star Dancer out of PNG next July.

picxie
08-10-2007, 19:33
I'm planning on getting out again in a months time ... up north though, a whole 8 hours or so driving. Or maybe 1 1/2 hours if I fly. I'll go north to get that slightly warmer water - it'll still be a bit cold locally. Does that count??? :smilie39:

But something a bit more pacific is also on the cards next year ... haven't quite decided yet ... Vanuatu or Tonga or PnG are the options at this stage. They've been the preferences from the start but we chop and change our mind as to the 'top' preference. We'll have to decide once we need to book!

chinacat46
08-11-2007, 08:56
I am planning a trip in January to Bulaken Island in in Indonesia. Anyone else planning something?

I'm heading to the Pacific. Got a trip to Australia, PNG and NZ starting at the end of September. I come home for all of 5 days and then head to Indonesia. I'll be diving Wakatobi and Lembeh on that trip.

Where is Bulaken Island near I've never heard of it or seen it listed as a dive location. You don't mean Bunaken do you?

deepdiver47
08-11-2007, 12:37
PNG, tell me how you are getting there. I couldn't find a way that didn't route thru Cairns, AU

deepdiver47
08-11-2007, 12:40

I'm heading to the Pacific. Got a trip to Australia, PNG and NZ starting at the end of September. I come home for all of 5 days and then head to Indonesia. I'll be diving Wakatobi and Lembeh on that trip.

Where is Bulaken Island near I've never heard of it or seen it listed as a dive location. You don't mean Bunaken do you?

I spell like crap, you are correct, Bunaken island off the coast of Manado. Have you been diving there? I just got back from Bali 2 weeks ago, I just love Indonesia

thesmoothdome
08-11-2007, 12:45
PNG, tell me how you are getting there. I couldn't find a way that didn't route thru Cairns, AU

As far as I know, everything routes through either Cairns or Singapore. The only flights to PNG are through Quantas or Air Nuginea and if you fly Quantas in, they don't allow the extra "scuba allowance" for weight that AN does.

chinacat46
08-11-2007, 17:54
Air Nuginea also has flights from Brisbane and there are once a week flights from the Solomons and I think Fiji as well but I've heard they change the flight times on the fly so I wouldn't book one of those.

chinacat46
08-11-2007, 18:01
I did dive Bunaken Marine Park back in Feb. It was after I did Raja Ampat and Lembeh Strait so it was a bit of a let down. Raja has the most pristine reefs you will ever dive and Lembeh has all the strange critters so Bunaken while still a great place just didn't compare to those two places. I've been to Indonesia a few times and to me there is no better diving anywhere in the world. You will enjoy Bunaken but I prefer Lembeh much more. Muck diving is incredible and really should be renamed Critter diving as I think the word muck scares people off. I didn't see any muck to speak of black sand yes but no muck. You see reefs as well just not all over the place like in Bunaken. Enjoy your trip and try and do Raja Ampat, Wakatobi and Komodo in the future all 3 places are incredible not to mention Lembeh which is my favorite place to dive on the planet.

beenerachi
08-18-2007, 21:20
Air Nuginea also has flights from Brisbane and there are once a week flights from the Solomons and I think Fiji as well but I've heard they change the flight times on the fly so I wouldn't book one of those.

Hey you guys, I live and work in Port Moresby, just finished a nice dive this morning with POMSAC (Port Moresby Sub-aquatic Club).

#1 - Get a visa before coming out here, the 1 hour wait in line will frustrate you when you arrive after dozens of hours of getting here from the US (or wherever)

#2 - www.airniugini.com.pg or www.apng.com (a 'discount' airline from Cairns/Brisbane - I like it..)

#3 - Direct flights from Tokyo, Singapore, Manilla, Honiara (Suva via Honiara), Brisbane, Cairns....

#4 - Expensive...be ready to dish out some money

#5 - dive operators in Port Moresby: The Dive Centre (www.divecentre.com.pg) Loloata Resort (www.loloata.com)

Dive Centre is at the Airways hotel which is pretty nice..
Loloata takes about a 20min drive from hotel with a boat transfer to the island...it's nice..summer camp feel.

#6 I also did a dive at Tawali in Alotao (www.tawali.com), super nice place, but takes an hour and half from airport

#7 Ask me anything and I'll try to answer my best about this place, hope to see you guys soon!

Chris

chinacat46
08-19-2007, 08:24
Hey Chris thanx for the tips especially #1. I downloaded the Visa application and filled it out. Will contact the embassy this week to clarify a few questions I have about the form. I only have about an hour and half between flights on arrival so this will help me out. Thanx again.

- Chuck