PDA

View Full Version : Affiliate Program still around?

przeor
07-24-2008, 02:51
That sums it up.. is the Scubatoys affiliate program still around?

ScubaToys Affiliate Program (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/affiliatequestion.asp)

NeveSSL
07-24-2008, 04:17
Very interesting... I'd like to know, too. And can it be used with phone orders?

Brandon

ScubaToys Larry
07-24-2008, 06:11
It never did work with phone orders, and we kind of stopped the whole thing - unless someone was in it from back when we started. The problem is, we just can't give away too much money.. so I can't give someone a 10 gift certificate, and a 50 dollar gift certificate, and 10% for being on the forum, then give a bit more off with a package... then give away another 10% to the referrer... it puts us at a loss.. we don't have enough margin for that. So we took the link off for the affiliate program when we started offering the 10% directly to the customers in the way of the discount.

przeor
07-24-2008, 06:58
Well I see why you don't have it any more, though a program in some form would be a neat thing to have for independent instructors who refer students. Similar programs are run by the local shop and another online dealer, but I suppose it wouldn't make sense to lose money to earn money!

Don Wray
07-24-2008, 07:09
I agree and have thought of that in the past. Give it some thought Larry. Would be a great help especially "smaller" quanity buys in the less expensive bc's, regs, etc.

One a side note, Kris, I thought you were in Utila this week.

NeveSSL
07-24-2008, 12:56
It never did work with phone orders, and we kind of stopped the whole thing - unless someone was in it from back when we started. The problem is, we just can't give away too much money.. so I can't give someone a 10 gift certificate, and a 50 dollar gift certificate, and 10% for being on the forum, then give a bit more off with a package... then give away another 10% to the referrer... it puts us at a loss.. we don't have enough margin for that. So we took the link off for the affiliate program when we started offering the 10% directly to the customers in the way of the discount.

Makes sense to me. :)

Thanks for passing the discount on to the general population. This is one of the many reasons I'll be buying my stuff from you guys. :smiley20:

Brandon

ScubaToys Larry
07-24-2008, 20:00
I agree and have thought of that in the past. Give it some thought Larry. Would be a great help especially "smaller" quanity buys in the less expensive bc's, regs, etc.

If you're talking about instructors buying stuff for classes... just give us a call. I've had a lot of independents call us up and get 6 training sets, etc. And then they send all their students to us - and make sure they mention their names... you can bet - we'll take care of you when you need even more stuff later.

With more shops closing across the country, a lot of the future of this industry is in the hands of the independent instructors - and we always try to help them out. But also keep in mind that sometimes on our very inexpensive packages, there is not much margin even if doing multiple sets - but it never hurts to give us a call!

Don Wray
07-28-2008, 18:00
Thanks Larry....that's a deal. I already mention you guys every class for quality reasonable gear compared to local prices. Thanks and I'll get in touch.