PDA

View Full Version : Brigade/Escape questions

USF_Diver
07-24-2008, 10:34
Anybody have both these BCDs?

The Brigade isn't much more than the Escape is it worth the extra price?

Is the Brigade about the same size as the Escape?

If you have both of them which do you prefer to dive and why?

thanks

DevilDiver
07-24-2008, 10:45
The Brigade is a mix of the heavy duty Ranger harness and the smaller Escape bladder. Best of both worlds....
Never dove the Escape but love the Brigade

DevilDiver
07-24-2008, 10:47
Oh yea...... The rip cord wheight system is great.

mr_tabasco
07-24-2008, 10:50
The weight release system was the big advanage I saw. I don't have both but have the Brigade and would agree with DevilDiver itis a great BCD. I didn'tlike the Ranger because it was so bulky but the harness system and weight release are really nice.

crgjpg
07-24-2008, 10:55
I also was looking at the Escape an Brigade. While researching the two, I liked the heavy harness but was hesitent with the ripcord system. I had only used the pull pockets like the escape. I liked that it would not be difficult to get the larger bladders and use them on the harness in the future if I wanted. I got the Brigade and after familiarizing with the ripcord I believe that it is better than the pocket systems. I am very happy with the brigade.

harb99
07-24-2008, 11:01
never tried an Escape, but I love my Brigade - packs pretty well and the ripcord system is a great setup for weights

Catt99
07-24-2008, 11:47
I've read elsewhere of people fitting their Brigades into carry-on luggage -- any owners want to share their views on this? I like to vacation dive and am looking hard at the Brigade to do double duty of local California diving and tropical diving; packing my BC in a carry-on is not a requirement for me by any stretch but it will give me a better sense of the Brigade's bulk / packability.

Thx.

ScubaJ
07-24-2008, 12:29
I'm able to fit two full sets of gear in one of the large travel (not scuba specific) suitcase and come out at 47# total.
Thats my Brigade, wife's Zena, masks, snorkels, fins, wetsuits, lights, slates, and various other do-dads. Should mention that I bring our regs in a carry on back pack. I can handle a rental BC if the suitcase doesn't make it, but not rental regs.
These days some airlines are getting pretty strict about the size of carry on luggage, so it may be a squeeze to fit a BC, & regs into a carry on. Thats assuming you check your snorkel gear.

loudgonzo
07-24-2008, 12:34
I don't have either, but I do have the Stiletto which I suppose falls somewhere in the middle. It packs up real nice when traveling, has smaller pockets than the Brigade (ranger harness), similar in size to the Escape, but it's made of heavier material and is tougher. Depending on what type of diving/traveling, you might want to look into the Stiletto also.

Zeagle Stiletto BC, BCDS: Men, Zeagle, Zeagle Stiletto BC (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleStiletto)

loudgonzo
07-24-2008, 12:38
Adding to ScubaJ's post, my travel bag checks in dry at 38-40#, on the way back, it checks in at 42-44# when it's still somewhat damp, and a few souvenirs thrown in the bag.

TRACI
07-24-2008, 13:15
I just bought a a Escape, I love it!

harb99
07-24-2008, 13:51
I'm able to fit two full sets of gear in one of the large travel (not scuba specific) suitcase and come out at 47# total.
Thats my Brigade, wife's Zena, masks, snorkels, fins, wetsuits, lights, slates, and various other do-dads. Should mention that I bring our regs in a carry on back pack. I can handle a rental BC if the suitcase doesn't make it, but not rental regs.
These days some airlines are getting pretty strict about the size of carry on luggage, so it may be a squeeze to fit a BC, & regs into a carry on. Thats assuming you check your snorkel gear.

we were able to fit 2 sets of dive gear (Zena, Brigade) except wetsuits and regs into an Oceanic Rolling bag and be at 45 pounds - regs were carried on and the wetsuits put it right at 50 - I was afraid we would be over on the way back - even damp, it was under by a few pounds

USF_Diver
07-24-2008, 14:24
Thanks everybody, sounds like I can't go wrong with either of them.

I might lean more towards the Brigade since really its almost a ranger for a few hundred cheaper, can't beat that.