PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle Razor First Stage

NorthwoodsDiver
08-10-2007, 16:24
Anyone out there using the Zeagle Razor as a First Stage on a pony bottle? Looking to streamline my set up and the Zeagle looks like just the ticket.

Opinions appreciated.....How hard is it to fill?

Thanks!

DougNR
08-11-2007, 20:27
I'm doing just that. I put a Razor on a 19cf pony and am using my Envoy Octo as its second stage. Very streamlined and clean! Since it is not my intent to dive the pony all the time, and I don't care to be swapping the octo from the pony to the primary reg each time I go from one to the other - I bought an Octo-Z. Now the Envoy stays on the pony which I tend to use for deeper dives. Sure I have three available seconds in those cases, but it's not a big deal at all, and who can argue with more redundancy?

Filling is simple. Thread in the adapter and you're good to go. Certainly loosing the adapter could mess up your day, so there I guess is a down side.

Good luck

rfb3
02-29-2008, 16:09
Doug,
Which fill adapter did you buy? I am thinking of getting both...???

rye_a
02-29-2008, 18:01
I looked hard at the razor, but have settled on the envoy 1st stage because I can use it as a back-up for my regular set-up. Sure it is not as streamlined, but the redundancy makes that worthwhile.

Grin
03-01-2008, 08:08
I hate to say this but I bought a Razor for my pony and ended up returning it. Once I got the correct crossfill adapter it seemed junky to me and leaked. I drained the pony to test the crossfiller thing and the valve got stuck open. At that point I figured I would return it, rather than use channel locks to try to break the valve free. I gave up and sent it back to Zeagle so they could be the one to try to pop it free. Who knows what it took to break the valve free. Zeagle was anxious to get back and see if I was nuts or what. I told them I may be the problem but I'm through with it, as I lost my confidence in it. They completely refunded me and I never got a confirmation if it was me or the Razor that was the problem. When I asked about 6 months after the episode, I was told noone could remember the situation. My opinion is there should be zero leaks when crossfilling it and the valve should not be able to be stuck in any way. I ended up going back to my old Sherwood reg for my pony and bought a crossfiller for that. I am a big Zeagle fan and was suprised the Razor gave me such a fit. Who knows, maybe it was a bad one(my opinion), or maybe it was me(I personally doubt it)? Something tells me the one I got was just a bad one and this would not be others experience with the Razor. But there you have my experience, for what its worth.

rfb3
03-01-2008, 09:22
Grin,
Thanks. That is a saddening story! I was looking forward to streamlining my pony... Are there other options out there for this?

Anyone else use the Razor?

rfb3
03-03-2008, 09:20
I looked hard at the razor, but have settled on the envoy 1st stage because I can use it as a back-up for my regular set-up. Sure it is not as streamlined, but the redundancy makes that worthwhile.

Isn't the Envoy Razor the same thing? Maybe I am confused...???:smiley13:

DougNR
03-03-2008, 10:44
Doug,
Which fill adapter did you buy? I am thinking of getting both...???

Freddy - Sorry I took a while to reply, but this thread had been stale for some time.

I have nothing more than the adapter that comes standard with the Razor first stage. Note that I had to special order as I only wanted the 1st stage. I'm using my Envoy Octo as the second on the pony.

Regards;

rfb3
03-03-2008, 10:52
No prob, Doug. Thanks for getting back to me. Let me re-phrase my question... There are two fill adapters available now in the ST store. One allows refilling from another bottle, and one allows refilling from a compressor whip. I am thining I may just get both. Any suggestions of thoughts?

rye_a
03-03-2008, 11:14

Isn't the Envoy Razor the same thing? Maybe I am confused...???:smiley13:

No, the Envoy Razor is a combination of the Razor 1st stage and the Envoy 2nd.

rfb3
03-03-2008, 12:42
Oh, OK. Hopfully some others will chime in on the Razor first stage... Any pros/cons, thoughts/comments?

rye_a
03-03-2008, 12:46
You might find more info at this (http://forum.scubatoys.com/regulators/3768-zeagle-razor-pony.html) thread...

rfb3
03-03-2008, 13:07
Thanks Rye!

rye_a
03-03-2008, 13:39
No Problem. If you get a chance, post what you decide to do and why.

rfb3
03-03-2008, 13:47
Will do. I pretty much gonna get the Razor first stage (and use my old octo for the second stage)... I read one bad post about the Razor though. I was wondering if anyone else had any bad news...??? I will probably get it in a few weeks.