PDA

View Full Version : Wreck Diving Question

srhtech
07-25-2008, 10:11
Is it considered wreck diving to dive over and around a wreck or only if you actually penetrate the wreck?

TommyB
07-25-2008, 10:19
Is it considered wreck diving to dive over and around a wreck or only if you actually penetrate the wreck?

Over and around -

Penetration is in the realm of overhead training / or tech training.
Unless overhead trained ie cavern/cave you need to be aware of the dangers even if it's a slight swim-through

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
07-25-2008, 10:24
It depends on who is doing the considering...

In my mind it all depends on the dive goal. Are you there to study the wreck or recover artifacts (gasp! ;) )? Are you there to spearfish? Are you there to look at all the pretty fishies?

Many wrecks are so broken up they cannot be penetrated. Diving them is still wreck diving. From one recent trip my dives on the Shurz and Naeco were wreck dives - no penetration possible. My dive on the Spar which involved pentration was not a wreck dive- it was sight-seeing with overheads. The Spar is a coast guard cutter that's an artificial reef known for its many large sharks.

TommyB
07-25-2008, 10:30
One thing to remember a wreck is nothing but a "Steel Cave"
Once inside, same basic rules apply that apply to cave diving, and them some due to razor sharp metal, wires/lines, silt, etc...

pir8
07-25-2008, 11:14
Diving on and around a wreck is wreck diving.

harb99
07-25-2008, 11:21
over and around to be considered a wreck dive - IMO

JHodgeCMI
07-25-2008, 11:25
are you asking for dive log purpose or specialty card purpose?

harb99
07-25-2008, 12:44
are you asking for dive log purpose or specialty card purpose?

I didnt ask the question - but I would imagine the OP was asking for dive log reasons

fire diver
07-25-2008, 16:36
If your purpose is to see the wreck, then yes, it is a wreck dive. Wreck penetration is something that requires lots of training and pratice. Most penetration divers will do "survey" dives on the outside before ever attempting to go in.

I am also curious as to the basis of the question. Logging? or just general curiosity.

SkuaSeptember
07-25-2008, 16:55
It is considered a wreck dive as the above replies stated.
The idea central to the concept of a wreck dive is not just whether you go in, around, over, under, or through. It is that you are diving an artificial structure that may or may not present some of the following hazards: sharp edges, unstable structure, interior entanglement hazards, exterior entanglement hazards caused by fishing gear and other lines, overhead environments, unfamiliar current patters caused by the structure, navigation problems due to magnetic interference, possible disorientation due to the way the structure sits on the bottom, and worst of all - the temptation to do something you really shouldn't.

doczerothree
07-25-2008, 17:18

Over and around -

Penetration is in the realm of overhead training / or tech training.
Unless overhead trained ie cavern/cave you need to be aware of the dangers even if it's a slight swim-through

Good idea not to enter a wreck if not trained. :smiley20:

dannybot
08-22-2008, 21:56
I think it is a good idea to use sound judgement regarding wrecks. If you are not properly trained and equiped you are at risk of injury, death or even arrest and being hauled off in the PADI wagon.