PDA

View Full Version : Mares Navy Reg

Lawdude
07-25-2008, 23:06
I acquired an obsolete Mares Navy reg, recently serviced. It works great, no problems. I am a very conservative diver: no cold water or super deep dives. Is there anything I need to be aware of since I am going old school here. recalls?:anim_grenade::anim_grenade:

keyshunter
07-26-2008, 06:32
My Mares MR-12 Navy was the last Mares reg I owned. It was a good breathing reg. The major problem with Mares in the mid '90's was lack of parts support. I was in the water a lot in those days, and went through about 4 high pressure seats a year--and they were difficult to get. Dealers were known to call other dealers who had a few and beg, so that they could repair some of the regs they had in for service. I had 2 Mares regs then, and both were shop mascots because of poor parts availability. Fortunately I had a Sherwood reg to fall back on. If you are a typical rec diver who dives about 50 or so dives a year you will have no problem, but if you typically go beyond that I would insist on having the new tri-material seat retrofitted at your next service. They have finally, after more than 30 years of torturing divers, come out with a seat that appears to have some longevity.