PDA

View Full Version : A little disturbing

Phestr
08-10-2007, 19:24
I heard on the news that rescue divers at the Mineapolis bridge collapse have to keep fending off other divers that are looking for souvenirs. Now, I understand the intrigue of such a site, but isn't that a little morbid? If you want to dive the site, volunteer to help, don't go sifting through to take a peice home.

Any comments?

Foo2
08-10-2007, 19:41
I agree that sounds morbid. It sounds like they are doing nothing but getting in the way.

thesmoothdome
08-10-2007, 19:55
I can't believe that the water isn't in the control of the agencies involved in the recovery efforts? What the heck are rec. divers even being allowed out there for?

nferra2
08-10-2007, 19:59
I was wondering how a diver could even get near the bridge area right now. I bet we will see "rubble" on ebay next week.

FishFood
08-10-2007, 20:16
Wow! Diving in a swift current with no vis. and tons of pollution just to get a piece of...??? I dont get it?

gsdive
08-10-2007, 20:21
The souvenir hunting divers need to be hauled off so the rescue volunteers can do their job.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-10-2007, 20:31
Those freaks need to get smacked up the side of the head.

Jumpinjax
08-10-2007, 20:32
I would think that it is illegal. Since this is the death scene.

Cichlid
08-10-2007, 20:37
What could they possibly want? :smiley21: I agree, they shouldn't be there until the area is cleared. That would be the best thing for their safety and the safety of the rescue divers.

Osprey
08-10-2007, 20:46
I don't know, but anyone making a buck off of someone's misfortune (or death!) needs to get a nut-punch

nferra2
08-10-2007, 20:53
I think a little natural selection needs to take place.

Phestr
08-10-2007, 21:13
I don't know, but anyone making a buck off of someone's misfortune (or death!) needs to get a nut-punch

That's what I'm talkin about!

cummings66
08-10-2007, 22:26
Someone asked how they could get to it, simple. The visibility is less than a couple feet. They could with some simple compass navigation make it there from outside the area.

I believe it's wrong for them and swift punishment is called for.

JCAT
08-11-2007, 04:45
I'm not starting anything but, I will need to see the media source for this. I tend to doubt anything that a news outlet says about scuba divers.

I just can't see someone working in about zero vis. entanglement hazards beyond imagination, current, ect. ect. in order to get what? some steel or concrete, that will have little value in 2 weeks?

If the police had any thought that there were civilian divers attempting such actions, my guess is that said civilian divers would get arrested the minute they hit the surface.

I'm not doubting what the OP heard, I doubt the media.

just my 2psi

WV Diver
08-11-2007, 08:56
I think JCAT has something here.

Being considered a "crime scene", until otherwise determined, I doubt any unauthorized personell are able to get anywhere near the site.

fire diver
08-11-2007, 09:34
I doubt this is happening. With police and navy divers in there, I'm sure any interlopers would be hauled out and sent to jail. Much less getting in there. I'm sure theres no way to get close to the scene in a vehicle which would mean carry all gear long distance over land, and probably past police checkpoints. Then there is the zero vis, entanglements and pollution.

I just don't see anyone doing this.

FD

Osprey
08-11-2007, 09:43
Well, I googled around and could not find anything about looting divers. I DID find something about 16 people being arrested for trespassing, but it seems they have motion detecting cameras to find people, meaning it's doubtful they were underwater.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if someone stated something like "I bet the divers are stealing" or "I'd go down and steal" and that's where a rumor started, but if someone really is dumb enough to go in there, the media hasn't said much about it.

quarrydiver
08-11-2007, 17:40
not likely but possible. stupid people do stupid things.

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 23:15
If they are they should be arrested. I think it is sick to try to make a dollar off of someone's death and to defaced their place of death...these people have families.

Phestr
09-01-2007, 23:21
I don't know what the original source was, but I heard it on Paul Harvey. He doesn't cite sources usually, and I have yet to find any more.

chewyjr15
09-01-2007, 23:21
really shamefull i could never do that nor can i understand how anyone could every do that

greyzen
09-01-2007, 23:28
if thats true I think the rec. divers need to be arrested for trespassing and fined for interfering with an investigation/rescue effort.

paintsnow
09-02-2007, 02:06
what on earth are they looking for? change people keep in their car? a purse?

if your going to steal at least steal from someone who can defend themselves, not the dead, i mean come on
how low can you go?

and how much trouble would it take to actually get there?
scooters and deco from a point outside security?

come on people...think a little

ScubaJenn81
09-02-2007, 08:49
I hope that these people are caught and fined very deeply. Money seems to be the one thing that really talks, unfortunatly.

diverdad
09-03-2007, 17:16
these people sund alot like paparazzi nothing but bunch of bottom feeders. they all need to be taken out and beat with a headstone.

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 19:49
I agree, I would want to see a verified source before buying this one. Sounds like a story someone made up because they thought it sounded good, someone else repeated it, and suddenly everyone is talking about the "fact" of this.

Conditions are MISERABLE for the public safety divers out there. True ZERO vis. This is blackout diving. They have surface tenders who communicate via rope lines and radios with the divers below, directing them from place the place. I call BS on anyone actually making it into the area alone without serious surface support... or serious injury.

Read these accounts of some of the difficulties the NAVY DIVERS are facing, and ask yourself how likely this is:

http://www.gazette.net/stories/082907/germnew172929_32361.shtml

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=261497

QuarryDiver2
09-04-2007, 20:14
That is sad. Especially, no doubt, to the ones that had hoped against all odds that their loved ones had survived. It is they that have the right to whatever is brought out of the water.