PDA

View Full Version : Bad tasting octo

Phestr
08-10-2007, 19:53
Okay, so my octo tastes like...well, something you really shouldn't put in your mouth. I was thinking of bleaching the mouthpeice. Yeah, it's that bad. Will this work, or is it overkill? Will mouthwash suffice? Or should I just spring for a new mouthpeice?

No Misses
08-10-2007, 20:00
Spring for a new mouthpiece dude. You don't want some nasty mouth fungus ;-)

BTW, a good way to get even with the loudmouth on the boat is to put a handfull of fish slime in his reg :smilie39:

thesmoothdome
08-10-2007, 20:13
mouthpieces aren't expensive, so if the funk is coming off the mouthpiece that will solve it. BUT, is that where the funk is located? Is there something dead or decaying in the 2nd stage itself?

Cichlid
08-10-2007, 20:27
That's what happens when you dive after eating garlic bread. :smiley11:

Phestr
08-10-2007, 21:08
I hope there's nothing in there! I'm pretty sure I was nice to all the people on the last boat...
Anyway, get the new mouthpeice and see if that helps. I always try to replace the cheapest part first.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-10-2007, 21:09
sounds gross, you should get a new mouthpiece if it smells so bad.

cummings66
08-10-2007, 22:49
Do you clean the regulator after every single dive? If not I suggest you hook it up to a tank and pressurise the thing, soak it in good clean water for a while.

I honestly don't think it's the mouthpiece that's stinking, I'll bet it's inside the regulator. Because there's a lot of salt water near you I'll bet it's brackish water and growing things inside the regulator.

medic001918
08-10-2007, 22:56
I would be surpised as well if it were the mouthpiece causing that kind of odor. Other's have listed good advice. When was the last time your reg was serviced? And how and where is it usually stored?

Shane

Phestr
08-11-2007, 12:24
Good news, the smell is gone! It was the inside of the reg, probably because I left the cover on after my last couple dives. I know, noob mistake, but I just switched octo holders, and didn't even think about it. Soaked it in fresh water, and it came out smelling normal. I still replaced the mouthpeice, though. Thanx for all the advice, guys.