PDA

View Full Version : boy did i screw up

maggs_the
07-27-2008, 10:31
left batteries in my camera (i KNOW! i KNOW!!) and one of them exploded.

is it fixable?

Sansho
07-27-2008, 11:21
left batteries in my camera (i KNOW! i KNOW!!) and one of them exploded. is it fixable?
When you say exploded, did the battery leak acid or did it literally explode? If it leaked acid, you can try to clean it up, however, you may have to ship it off for service. Was the battery an energizer battery? They have a warranty:

12. Is there a guarantee on Energizer® batteries?
Yes, the Energizer®/Eveready® guarantee typically states: “We will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by this battery if it is sent with batteries to Energizer®. Guarantee void if user or device recharges battery.”

comet24
07-27-2008, 12:07
A little more info is needed.

If there is acid in the battery compartment. You can clean that up. I used baking soda with a little water(make a paste) to neutralize thing and then wipe everything clean.

Is there damage to anything or just acid in the battery compartment.

maggs_the
07-27-2008, 12:22
okay... in layman's terms... (I was gonna say in "girl" terms but i'm sure there are girls out there who do know this stuff.. just not THIS girl!)

the battery more leaked than exploded i guess. and there's this white bubbly looking stuff that's crystalized inside where the battery lies and on the metal prongs that touch the battery.

i couldnt scrape it off but i did a google search about it and someone suggested a q-tip with vinegar?

fire diver
07-27-2008, 13:45
It depends on whether the battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the camera. That happened in one of my strobes. but the batteries are seperate, so it didn't hurt the the flash unit.

Anyway, here's what you might try. Start by putting a little baking soda in the there. This will neutralize any liquid acid still in there. Then use an old toothbrush and clean that out after a day or so. Then use some white vinegar on a Q-tip to do a more thorough cleaning. Yes, it will react with the remaining soda, so don't freak out, it's harmless. If there are any stubborn spots on the contacts, you can take something like an eyeglass screwdriver and scrape the contacts back to bare metal.

If the compartment is sealed, you can pour the vinegar straight in and let it soak for a bit.

Of course, there is always the chance of screwing things up worse, so try at your own risk.

maggs_the
07-27-2008, 17:43
..sigh.. thanks .. i gotta go get baking soda.

It depends on whether the battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the camera. That happened in one of my strobes. but the batteries are seperate, so it didn't hurt the the flash unit.

Anyway, here's what you might try. Start by putting a little baking soda in the there. This will neutralize any liquid acid still in there. Then use an old toothbrush and clean that out after a day or so. Then use some white vinegar on a Q-tip to do a more thorough cleaning. Yes, it will react with the remaining soda, so don't freak out, it's harmless. If there are any stubborn spots on the contacts, you can take something like an eyeglass screwdriver and scrape the contacts back to bare metal.

If the compartment is sealed, you can pour the vinegar straight in and let it soak for a bit.

Of course, there is always the chance of screwing things up worse, so try at your own risk.

waytooslow
07-28-2008, 10:02
not to hijack but will batteries other than alkaline leak? Lithum and metal hailade?

maggs_the
08-01-2008, 06:12
woohoo!! it worked!!

and the camera is working just fine :)

Sansho
08-01-2008, 06:19
woohoo!! it worked!!

Excellent! So which steps did you end up having to do?

maggs_the
08-01-2008, 09:55
woohoo!! it worked!!

Excellent! So which steps did you end up having to do?

I never got the chance to put the baking powder in to soak up the extra acid (my dad had a heart attack among other things and has been in the hospital while I am trying to go to Curacao for a week and am currently watching not only my four dogs but my sister's two dogs and throw in work and it goes on and on..) so all I ever did was the q-tip and vinegar to try and disolve the corrosion on the metal prongs and inside the casing.

at first, even after it dried it did not appear to have done the trick but my boyfriend picked it up and put in two fresh batteries last nite just to see what he may need to try and it came on, took photos, switched to video mode... it did everything just fine.

in fact, he's going to be taking it with us to Curacao tonite so it will have a full week of "testing" to be sure it's good to go again.

but i'm not sending back my new camera :D we'll just keep both or maybe at some point sell this one :) we'll see!

Athena2c
08-01-2008, 10:16
Sorry to hear about your dad honey!!

Hmm...wasn't it my husband who told you to try cleaning it before considering it a loss and buying a new camera..not sure if we should tell him he was right..:smiley2:

I think you just wanted a new camera (BTW-we are kepping ours).

See you tomorrow bright and early in Miami (or at least early)!! :smiley32:

From W-"I told you so..See, you do need a man."