PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Stylus 1010

mr_tabasco
07-27-2008, 12:52
I am looking at getting a new digital camera and would like to get something I can do undewater pictures with. I already have a good digital SLR (Canon 20D) for surface pics but would like to get something that is portable and could be used underwater. I have looked at the Canon powershots but haven't really found anything I like both the size and features on. I saw the Stylus 1010 by Olympus and the Olympus housing and thought this might be a good choice. I have never done underwater photography but this looked like it might be a good camera to start with. It looks to have the capability to add a strobe (slave) and it comes in a very small package and has a 7X optical zoom. I have always had good luck with Olympus cameras in the past but was curious if anyone has used this camera on surface and/ or UW. Any feedback would be appreciated.

mr_tabasco
07-29-2008, 15:45
Well I guess from the lack of ANY response no one has any experience with this camera. The main thing that I liked about it is that it seems like it would be a good topside camera. One of the main drawbacks I see is it does not have a custon WB setting or a UW specific WB setting (does not have a RAW modes either). I wanted to get some feedback from people that have experience with UW photos as to how important those features are. I would be forced to do color corrections on jpg images and I was curious how big of a deal that would be. Keep in mind I am wanting to do this as more of a trial run at UW photography and if I really get into it I will invest in a housing for my 20D. Also, I am not looking to get magazine quality photos at this point but rather something that I can share with friends to have memories of dives.

waytooslow
07-29-2008, 15:51
Well I guess from the lack of ANY response no one has any experience with this camera. The main thing that I liked about it is that it seems like it would be a good topside camera. One of the main drawbacks I see is it does not have a custon WB setting or a UW specific WB setting (does not have a RAW modes either). I wanted to get some feedback from people that have experience with UW photos as to how important those features are. I would be forced to do color corrections on jpg images and I was curious how big of a deal that would be. Keep in mind I am wanting to do this as more of a trial run at UW photography and if I really get into it I will invest in a housing for my 20D. Also, I am not looking to get magazine quality photos at this point but rather something that I can share with friends to have memories of dives.

I think you are making a good call - but IMHO i would get a Canon P&S hack it with CHDK - so you can save raw and use a appropriate housing. I have tryed countless brands of cameras and by far Canon has it down pat, great color rendition, balance and contrast levels. a housing for your 20d would be good as well, just more out of pocket up front. Clear as mud?

mr_tabasco
07-29-2008, 16:18
I looked at Canons but my wife did not like the camera for topside use due to the size and limited zoom. I know the zoom is probably not a factor UW but it is topside. I am down to this Olympus and the Canon A630. Thanks for the feedback.

DevilDiver
07-29-2008, 21:11
Both cameras will be fine choices. Go with the one that will fit your overall needs U/W and topside. RAW really is not going to be a big deal and is not always going to produce to best photographs.

I would defiantly look at a better case though.......

mr_tabasco
07-30-2008, 07:40
That is one of the problems with the Olympus is Ikelite does not make a case for it yet. Based on what I am trying to accomplish I think I am going to go with the Olympus. BTW what is the main reasin for going to the better case? Is it features or are they less likely to flood?

Vercingetorix
07-30-2008, 08:19
I shoot with the Canon A620 P&S. It has all modes and WB. It can be hacked with CHDK (thanks TxHockyGuy) for RAW. You can add an external strobe. I have the housing which allows access to all buttons and knobs.

If the A620 is good, then the A630 should be more better.

DevilDiver
07-30-2008, 08:26
That is one of the problems with the Olympus is Ikelite does not make a case for it yet. Based on what I am trying to accomplish I think I am going to go with the Olympus. BTW what is the main reasin for going to the better case? Is it features or are they less likely to flood?

Ahhh, I stand corrected. You are right, I should have looked up the model before posting. After looking I believe you are on the right track. It is features and this case appears to offer what you will need.... screw mount for lenses and filters, controll of functions and the LCD hood is a plus.

When you get this put together post aa pic of the system and a review...

Thanks and good luck!! Cheers- DD

Digital Camera Housing PT-042 Underwater Housing for Stylus 1010/1020 by Olympus
When the action moves from the beach to the water, your Olympus digital camera neednít be left behind. The PT-038 underwater case has been specially customised for the FE-230 digital camera and is waterproof up to a water pressure equivalent to a depth of 40 metres. This case is perfect for fascinating underwater photography or capturing the thrill of water sports and activities. With its durable, high quality polycarbonate construction, it protects the camera from water while also cushioning it from knocks and bumps on land. Complete control of photo functions, such as zoom and flash mode, is also permitted.

Waterproof up to a water pressure equivalent to 40 m depth
Simple handling above and under water
All camera functions can be controlled
Detachable LCD hood for LCD monitor
Neutral buoyancy under water
Screw mount for converter lenses and filters provided

Internal flash can be used underwater to trigger digital compatible slave

Standard tripod socket permits attachment of lighting tray

Here is the mount base available for your housing you will need for attaching lenses...

INON M67 Mount Base PT-042
Description:Mount Base for Olympus PT-042 housing (Stylus 1010 & 1020 cameras). Secures housing firmly with no rotation. Also, attach INON UWL-100 Type 1 Wide Angle, UCL-330 and UCL-165M67 Close-up lenses to the integral 67mm threaded mount. Compatible with Optical D Cable/Cap W32 Set fiber optic cable. And, install single or double Grip Base DII or DIII to the bottom of the M67 Mount Base.
Features:This multi-featured mount base:

Firmly secures Olympus PT-042 housing from rotating on the base.
Has an integral INON 67mm mounting ring for attaching:
UWL-100 Type 1 Wide Angle Conversion Lens
UCL-330 Close-up Lens (330mm focal length)
UCL-165M67 Close-up Lens (165mm focal length)
Accepts Optical D Cable/Cap W32 Set fiber optic cable and attachment fixtures for connecting to INON Z-240, D-2000, D-2000W, D-2000Wn, D-180, D-180S, Z-220, Z-220F and Z-220S strobes.
Accepts single or double Grip Base DII or DIII grip handles.http://inonamerica.com/content/gfx/gfx_02378.jpg

mr_tabasco
07-30-2008, 09:07
Thanks. I am planning to get something purchased this week and I want to do some test dives with it before our trip to Cozumel in October. I will post up pics as soon as I hve them.

BlueC5Kitten
08-19-2008, 13:20
Digital Camera Housing PT-042 Underwater Housing for Stylus 1010/1020 by Olympus
When the action moves from the beach to the water, your Olympus digital camera needn’t be left behind. The PT-038 underwater case has been specially customised for the FE-230 digital camera and is waterproof up to a water pressure equivalent to a depth of 40 metres. This case is perfect for fascinating underwater photography or capturing the thrill of water sports and activities. With its durable, high quality polycarbonate construction, it protects the camera from water while also cushioning it from knocks and bumps on land. Complete control of photo functions, such as zoom and flash mode, is also permitted.

Waterproof up to a water pressure equivalent to 40 m depth
Simple handling above and under water
All camera functions can be controlled
Detachable LCD hood for LCD monitor
Neutral buoyancy under water
Screw mount for converter lenses and filters provided

Internal flash can be used underwater to trigger digital compatible slave

Standard tripod socket permits attachment of lighting tray

Here is the mount base available for your housing you will need for attaching lenses...

INON M67 Mount Base PT-042
Description:Mount Base for Olympus PT-042 housing (Stylus 1010 & 1020 cameras). Secures housing firmly with no rotation. Also, attach INON UWL-100 Type 1 Wide Angle, UCL-330 and UCL-165M67 Close-up lenses to the integral 67mm threaded mount. Compatible with Optical D Cable/Cap W32 Set fiber optic cable. And, install single or double Grip Base DII or DIII to the bottom of the M67 Mount Base.
Features:This multi-featured mount base:

Firmly secures Olympus PT-042 housing from rotating on the base.
Has an integral INON 67mm mounting ring for attaching:
UWL-100 Type 1 Wide Angle Conversion Lens
UCL-330 Close-up Lens (330mm focal length)
UCL-165M67 Close-up Lens (165mm focal length)
Accepts Optical D Cable/Cap W32 Set fiber optic cable and attachment fixtures for connecting to INON Z-240, D-2000, D-2000W, D-2000Wn, D-180, D-180S, Z-220, Z-220F and Z-220S strobes.
Accepts single or double Grip Base DII or DIII grip handles.
This is great info, my Mom has this Olympus camera...shame I can't find anything for my Casio EX-1050, and its underwater housing. Should I just go with a generic "all brands" strobe, like the SeaLife SL961?

mr_tabasco
08-19-2008, 14:25
The problem is they have discontinued the case so they are next to impossible to find. I have not got mine in the water yet but it seems to be a good camera on land.

Jenn
08-19-2008, 15:54
Hello I have an Olympus stylus SW 1030. I LOVE this camera I have used it for both top side pics and ow pics. I am looking into the housing for it its an additional 299.00 that will be on list of things to get. You can also get the strobe for this camera. With out the housing it is rated waterproof to 33ft. I can't wait to get the housing for this camera. I don't think you would be unhappy with your choice of getting an olympus camera. Let us know what you decided to get.

IndyDiver
08-19-2008, 16:14
Try this link for the case:

Olympus PT-042 Digital Underwater Housing - Helix Camera (http://www.helixphoto.com/UW/olympus/pt042.html)

$209 is also about the cheapest you will find an Olympus case for. I gave $249 for the case for my stylus 780 last year.

I don't know about the 1010, but the 780 has 3 built-in modes for underwater shots. When you select one of them, the WB is adjusted automatically.

I don't know of any cameras in this price range that shoot RAW, thats why the hack for the Cannon firmware is so popular. Also, most compact digitals have very limited WB controls anyway. Usually they have a half dozen selections like flour1, flour2, tungston, daylight, etc.