PDA

View Full Version : Pre-dive hydration

Rhino
07-27-2008, 20:47
How much water should you drink before a dive? I know that the answers will vary, but any help will be appreciated.

Vercingetorix
07-27-2008, 20:51
I normally down a couple half-liter bottles between dives. Before the first dive, I drink a bottle or two. After the last dive, I drink at least one. I used to get severe headaches at end of diving each day. Lack of proper hydration caused that. Since guzzling lots of water, no headaches.

harb99
07-27-2008, 21:07
we usually try to drink a 16 to 20 oz bottle of propel / water before and in between dives. We actually refilled a 2 liter soda bottle with water while in Bonaire to take with us to drink during SI's while diving and drank most of it several times.

mchain
07-27-2008, 21:37
I usually drink about a liter before and in between every dive. But I like water so it's not really out of my usual routine.

Defman
07-27-2008, 21:55
As much as you feel comfortable drinking. On the other side of that coin, be prepared to have to pee during your dive.... a few times....

thor
07-27-2008, 22:08
As much as you feel comfortable drinking. On the other side of that coin, be prepared to have to pee during your dive.... a few times....

You stole my thunder.

navyhmc
07-27-2008, 23:07
That's the problem. If you're hydrated, you have to pee. If you don't have to pee, you need to hydrate. There is a balance out there, depending on the temperature, drinking a bottle of water slowly during your SI is better than guzzling one just before the dive. I usually try to down a pint of water soon after I get out of the water and then take my time with the next while doing a surface interval.

This works until you hit the thermocline and things contract up-bladder included. Then it sucks.

Lj82
07-27-2008, 23:13
I always make it a point to drink beyond my point of thirst.
Some of my diver friends frequently neglect this and always tell me they are not thirsty when I pass them a bottle of water. I think that is a wrong mentality as not feeling thirsty does not equates to being adequately hydrated.

I try to drink as much water as I can before dives so that I have time to visit the toilet before dives and decrease the frequency of pee-ing in the wetsuit though!:smiley36:

Black-Gorrilla
07-28-2008, 01:21
i drink between 3-5 of the arizona green tea big cans and water as well, before, and between and after dives

Eurodiver
07-28-2008, 04:05
I normally down a couple half-liter bottles between dives. Before the first dive, I drink a bottle or two. After the last dive, I drink at least one. I used to get severe headaches at end of diving each day. Lack of proper hydration caused that. Since guzzling lots of water, no headaches.

That would explain my headache yesterday.
I hate water. When I was growing up we lived on a lake in Oklahoma and the water tasted like fish, it smelled like fish and use to gag me to drink a glass.
I am getting better at drinking water since I am running a marathon in October. But some days I just can't do it. I drink the Gatorade G2 a lot though. My husband can't stand what they call flat water. Normal tap or bottled water he will only drink the water here that the Europeans drink the one with the bubbles or gas. I will drink it IF it is ice cold.

So mental note when diving more water. No headaches.
I guess 1 liter before and 2 after would be ok then.

cummings66
07-28-2008, 07:33
Proper hydration starts before the dive, in fact it starts days before the dive. You can't just guzzle water and think your body will hydrate, sure it'll take on water but you'll piss out most of it and your tissues won't absorb the water they really need. That process takes days. I had a friend that went to the hospital for dehydration, it took her 5 days before they released her. Severe but it goes to show no matter how much fluids you push you can't hydrate all at once.

Do it right, up your drinking a couple days before the dive and just drink like you should the day of the dive. You should be peeing every few hours if you've drank enough fluids.

Be careful with energy drinks, they contain more of the elements in them than you need and drinking too many is harmful. Use water, it's best and it seems Mother Nature knew what she was doing when she put us together.

Vercingetorix
07-28-2008, 08:10
With my regimen, I really don't have to pee a lot while diving, even below the thermoclines. The diving process pretty much uses-up the water I've taken in. Now that I think about it, that may actually be an indication that I need more water.

I drink water all the time when not diving as well, so the water regimen is not a quick-fix. When I lived in Deutschland for three years, I drank the fizzy water that EuroDiver refers to. I prefer that to regular water. Closest thing in the States is seltzer water and club soda, which are not really the same.

crgjpg
07-28-2008, 08:20
I concurr. I teach police mountain bike and we constantly tell everyone that you cannot properly hydrate yourself on that day. We tell them that you need to get hydrated the previos day and keep drinking the current day to maintian hydration.

Monkeylemon
07-28-2008, 11:17
There's a product called Emergen-C that I like for pre- or rehydrating--it's a packet of powder, comes in different flavors, that you mix with water. It has a ton of vitamin C, a lot of the B vitamins, and a bunch of other stuff. I like that it's not as sugary as sports drinks. Lemon-lime is good, and the Super Orange flavor tastes like Tang!

Seniordiver
07-28-2008, 11:49
Good subject. Last year we travelled to Bonaire from Ottawa-four flights and three stops-all, in dry conditions. On my second dive (boat) I started to cramp in my left hamstring underwater, and both cramped very badly when I surfaced. A mental review of the 24 hours before my diving showed; the dry aircraft and airport air, very little fluids beyond gin and tonic on arrival, and coffee with breakfast. I started watching my intake much more carefully thereafter, including a large Gatorade every day with no more problems. Its funny, but the older I get, the dumber I get. Good thing God protects drunks and fools.:smiley5:

wgt
07-28-2008, 11:50
Assuming that one is not drinking fluids with diuretics (e.g., caffeine, alcohol), a rough gauge for good hydration is to monitor that "the urine is clear and copious", to quote Dr. Jefferson Davis.

Contrary to the inferences possibly drawn from a statement made above, it does not take days to hydrate a healthy person. In cases of treatment for clinical dehydration (a clearly pathological state), however, many days may be required to ensure that ionic balances are returned to normal and that the organs are fully functional. Time may also be required to treat medical conditions that might predispose the patient to dehydration.

The above being noted, overhydration with water can lead to a pathological dilution of sodium, a potentially dangerous condition called hyponatremia.

In sum, drink your water, eat your food, keep yourself rested and cool, relax and enjoy the dives. It is also helpful to stay warm underwater to reduce immersion-induced diuresis (hypersecretion of urine related to the cold-dependent shunting of blood to the large vessels at the core of the body).

cudachaser
07-29-2008, 12:32
I drink till my pee is no longer yellow

wgt
07-29-2008, 14:01

You are on the right track.

georoc01
07-29-2008, 14:08
Sometimes when traveling prior to a dive trip, drinking lots of water can be more of a challenge. I know I try to just avoid the caffiene the day before and drink cups of water when the airlines let me.

And keep drinking H20 when on the dive boats...

character157
07-29-2008, 14:16
I usually do a couple bottles of water before the first dive and at least a couple between...I like the G2 on occasion but just plain water is my favorite.

hudson
07-30-2008, 22:52
I don't know about the "clear urine" benchmark. When I get to that level I have to pee way too frequently. It feels like the all the water is going "right-through". Not to mention it's a huge problem with a drysuit and no p-valve.

USF_Diver
07-31-2008, 09:16
I try to drink some gatorade or a sport drink before the dive. I am more tired if I don't after a dive.

Vegas
07-31-2008, 14:12

That's kind of my guideline also.

I generally try to hit this point the day before .....
then usually about 2 regular sized bottles on the way to the site and while getting ready....
then at LEAST one regular sized bottle of water between each dive. Maybe once a day I'll have a gatorade either instead of or in addition to (better) the water.

I've had no problem with headaches.

....oh....and if I get a little chilly on a dive....well, I get warm again pretty quick. LOL!

TRACI
07-31-2008, 14:25
I have found that if I start drinking water days before diving, it has eliminated any headaches or leg cramps that I was getting while diving.

mm_dm
07-31-2008, 15:28

I'll take your word on that!:smiley36:

mm_dm
07-31-2008, 15:30
I have found that if I start drinking water days before diving, it has eliminated any headaches or leg cramps that I was getting while diving.

This is what I do, I start a days ahead of time. I also drink alot of water at work during the week.

Jenn
07-31-2008, 16:52
I start to drink water when I get up in the morning the day of my dive then I continue to drink water up until the dive and in between I also usually bring a propel to drink in between.

scubadubado
08-07-2008, 18:56
I have a hard time drinking water, in general. I have to practically choke down a bottle of water. I can drink it if I add a propel or sustain flavor to it. My goal on this vacation is to stay hydrated, and keep the headaches away. Good advise, MORE WATER!!

hooligan
08-07-2008, 20:44
To maintain proper hydration, you should drink about 1oz of water for every 2lbs of body weight per day. So a a 150lb person should be drinking 75oz of water per day. If you are doing strenous activity, you should bump it up to 1oz/1lb or more. Your body can only process about 8oz every 10 minutes. So if you get out of a dive and chug a whole 20oz bottle, your body is still only using 8oz of the 20. That's where the saying "hydration is constant" comes in.