PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning fossils

Jenn
07-28-2008, 15:38
Hey guys how is everyone doing? I had a question I did my first fossil dive with Florida West Scuba today it was great :smiley20:. My question is how do you guys clean your fossils?

SkuaSeptember
07-28-2008, 17:07
Soak in apple cider vinegar for 1/2 an hour and then remove and rinse with fresh water. Repeat as necessary until encrustations are removed. The gallon size jug is pretty cheap. The cider vinegar allows you to keep the dark color, if you use white vinegar it will bleach them out some. I hope you got some great finds! I ended up taking mine to Mail Boxes Etc. and had them packed and shipped. This ended up being a better deal than the overweight charge on my luggage.

Jenn
07-28-2008, 17:50
Soak in apple cider vinegar for 1/2 an hour and then remove and rinse with fresh water. Repeat as necessary until encrustations are removed. The gallon size jug is pretty cheap. The cider vinegar allows you to keep the dark color, if you use white vinegar it will bleach them out some. I hope you got some great finds! I ended up taking mine to Mail Boxes Etc. and had them packed and shipped. This ended up being a better deal than the overweight charge on my luggage.

Thank you I tried out the apple cider vinegar and it works great.. I found a few megs and some bones from a whale and manatee. my 8 year old son loved that. besides that i found about 200 smaller teeth. Do you dive often with West Coast Scuba. this was my first time and they were very nice and had alot of great info. to share. Thanks for the tip have a great day.

SkuaSeptember
07-28-2008, 18:45

Thank you I tried out the apple cider vinegar and it works great.. I found a few megs and some bones from a whale and manatee. my 8 year old son loved that. besides that i found about 200 smaller teeth. Do you dive often with West Coast Scuba. this was my first time and they were very nice and had alot of great info. to share. Thanks for the tip have a great day.
You're very welcome. I've only made one trip out with them but recommend them every chance I get. I will definitely go again someday. when I went I had no luck finding smaller teeth but did find a number of larger ones and a bunch of scallop fossils and manatee bones. Back on the boat I ended up trading finds with some of the other divers so that we all went home with a pretty good assortment.
Have you done a shore dive off of Venice Beach?

Jenn
07-28-2008, 20:05

You're very welcome. I've only made one trip out with them but recommend them every chance I get. I will definitely go again someday. when I went I had no luck finding smaller teeth but did find a number of larger ones and a bunch of scallop fossils and manatee bones. Back on the boat I ended up trading finds with some of the other divers so that we all went home with a pretty good assortment.
Have you done a shore dive off of Venice Beach?

Hello I did shore dives from venus beach when I got certified with NAUI but I have not had a chance to go out on my own yet. I will be very soon though I found a new hobby and I am loving every minute of it.

scubasamurai
07-28-2008, 20:11
florida west is a great boat to use when fossil hunitng. found a big meg as well in june along with many smaller teeth, i am surprised you didn't get the speech from mike the capt. apple cider vinger overnight does a good job for sure. and as a side note check out ebay , lots of divers from there sell their finds .

Jenn
07-28-2008, 20:23
florida west is a great boat to use when fossil hunitng. found a big meg as well in june along with many smaller teeth, i am surprised you didn't get the speech from mike the capt. apple cider vinger overnight does a good job for sure. and as a side note check out ebay , lots of divers from there sell their finds .

Thanks for the side note about ebay I had never thought to go there to sell my finds. I suppose I want to get a few more before I sell any my 8 year old is loving all the fossils I brought home. I can't wait to get out there and dive with them again. :smiley20: