PDA

View Full Version : Dry mouth

Xspect
08-10-2007, 21:01
Is there some way I can NOT have dry mouth while diving ?

Phestr
08-10-2007, 21:07
Diving Nitrox helps. For air, a peice of hard candy helps, as long as you don't swallow it. The candy causes you to salivate, which keeps your mouth moist. It takes a bit to get used to, but Jolly Ranchers are my friends.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-10-2007, 21:14
Diving Nitrox helps. For air, a peice of hard candy helps, as long as you don't swallow it. The candy causes you to salivate, which keeps your mouth moist. It takes a bit to get used to, but Jolly Ranchers are my friends.

I never would of thought of that, interesting stuff.

dmdoss
08-10-2007, 22:31
im a lifesavers guy.

cummings66
08-10-2007, 22:46
I've heard another claim about Nitrox now.

Did you know that my real age is 62 but since I've been diving so much Nitrox I'm now 41? It's magical.

I find for dry mouth different regulators affect it, but more importantly if you're properly hydrated you won't have dry mouth. How often do you urinate? It should be pretty frequent if you've been drinking enough water. I think the experts say once every 2 or 3 hours is about right. I don't know that color is important or even telling, but it should not be a dark yellow color.

medic001918
08-10-2007, 22:58
Isn't there a bio filter or something available that's supposed to help with the dry mouth? I've never head of nitrox helping the dry mouth. Here's a link to the bio filter. http://scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=bio+filter

Shane

Judestudio
08-10-2007, 23:10
Isn't there a bio filter or something available that's supposed to help with the dry mouth? I've never head of nitrox helping the dry mouth. Here's a link to the bio filter. http://scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=bio+filter

Shane
Yea, I've just picked up one from ST, will be trying it out soon. We had a thread on the Bio-Filter Moisture system a little while back, here it is:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=64

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 00:13
Even doing my confined water dives, within about 20 mins my mouth started to get pretty dry. Like whats been said ealier maybe i didnt drink enough water before diving.

Phestr
08-11-2007, 00:24
Well, I must be pretty hydrated, 'cause I have to pee as soon as I get my wetsuit zipped up. And since drymouth isn't something that will ruin my dive, the biofilter seems like alot of money. Me, I'll stick with the candy.

mwhities
08-11-2007, 01:36

I multi-task enough, I think this would be to much.

;)

Michael

brandon
08-11-2007, 01:43
What I've always done is just opened my mouth enough to get a little saltwater in it... swish it around and spit it back out.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes the taste of saltwater though.

-B.

cummings66
08-11-2007, 06:39
Weirdo:smiley11:

Judestudio
08-11-2007, 07:15
:smiley13: Salt water makes my mouth even dryer....

WV Diver
08-11-2007, 08:18
Hydration is your best friend here to keep you from getting cotton mouth and the more you dive the less you will notice it.

creggur
08-11-2007, 08:26
I like a cough drop because it coats your mouth like hard candy, and keeps the sinus' open at the same time...

Xspect
08-11-2007, 08:42
Ok,

I got it. Next time I dive nitrox I'm going to have cough drops, jolly ranchers, lifesavers, put saltwater in the very expensive biofilter. Drink enough water to pee in my wet suit.

Got it :smiley20:

cummings66
08-11-2007, 10:30
Sounds like you've been paying attention tadpole.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 10:52
Ok,

I got it. Next time I dive nitrox I'm going to have cough drops, jolly ranchers, lifesavers, put saltwater in the very expensive biofilter. Drink enough water to pee in my wet suit.

Got it :smiley20:

If you can do all of that at once then your the champ :smiley36:

sidneydiver
08-11-2007, 12:08
I recently discovered the joy that is a pouch of capri-sun halfway through my dive!

Judestudio
08-11-2007, 15:44
...put saltwater in the very expensive biofilter.
You might wanna put fresh water in the biofilter though....

Venio
08-12-2007, 12:35
I recently discovered the joy that is a pouch of capri-sun halfway through my dive!

I have not tried it yet, but looks pretty promising!

Now I just have to figure out how to get the d@nm popcorn in the water (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdzS7vn-Hs):smilie40:

Subaqua
08-18-2007, 06:20
I think its depends on several factors. However, when I drink a bit of water and rinse well my mouth before starting the dive, my mouth is usually not dry. Hydratation is an important factor.

cummings66
08-19-2007, 08:50
It needs to be noted you can't hydrate right before the dive. You ever get dehydrated while working on a hot day, notice how you're thirsty all day long and can't seem to drink enough fluids to make the mouth normal again?

It's because it takes a long time for the fluids to go where they need to, start dehydrated which most people are somewhat and you'll always have dry mouth.

You need to start drinking the right amounts of fluid days before the dive, not the day of if you expect to not have dry mouth. On today's dive I'll probably have dry mouth because I didn't drink enough yesterday and I'm thirsty now.

creggur
08-19-2007, 09:29
It needs to be noted you can't hydrate right before the dive. You ever get dehydrated while working on a hot day, notice how you're thirsty all day long and can't seem to drink enough fluids to make the mouth normal again?

It's because it takes a long time for the fluids to go where they need to, start dehydrated which most people are somewhat and you'll always have dry mouth.

You need to start drinking the right amounts of fluid days before the dive, not the day of if you expect to not have dry mouth. On today's dive I'll probably have dry mouth because I didn't drink enough yesterday and I'm thirsty now.

This is very true, and a lesson I learned from being a cyclist years ago. We call it pushing fluids, basically if you wait until you are thirsty to start hydrating you are way behind the curve. During periods of exertion, or other activity that will cause dehydration (breathing cold dry air) once you are behind that curve it's basically impossible to catch back up because of the time it takes for your body to process the fluids...Drink early and often..

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 09:45
Drink early and often..

A motto I've lived with my whole life - ever since I was a road musician!:smiley20:

subsur
08-19-2007, 11:27
apollo bio-filter (moisturizer thing). cost something like $150 and people who have dry mouth issue are saved after using this cute gizmo.

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 11:56
apollo bio-filter (moisturizer thing). cost something like $150 and people who have dry mouth issue are saved after using this cute gizmo.

Agreed! They are fantastic. It was covered in the first page of this thread, but here it is again. http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFilter

finflippers
08-19-2007, 12:42
What about the SCUDA "Self Contained Underwater Drinking Apparatus" has anyone ever tried it? I have seen them in the LDS before but never seen a diver with one.

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 13:00
What about the SCUDA "Self Contained Underwater Drinking Apparatus" has anyone ever tried it? I have seen them in the LDS before but never seen a diver with one.

There is a reason for that! We used to have a few kicking around. Bulky, pain in the butt, goofy looking, don't work to well, pain to clean... aside from that they're great!

3rdEye
08-19-2007, 14:01
i'd like to try this capri sun thing.....i just keep thinking i'd end up with a mouthful of sugary lake water

jolly rancher thing seems plausible....now i just need to decide on apple or watermelon

cummings66
08-19-2007, 22:32
I'd think that it would mix a bit with the lake water, probably not real bad but enough that you might get something. Todays dive was in water that I'd prefer to keep outside as much as I can, but you'll get a bit anyways and maybe your digestive system doesn't mind. So Capri might be the way to go.

sidneydiver
08-20-2007, 00:19
Capri-sun really is the way to go. You really don't get too much water in your mouth and it's instant relief! Just don't do what I did last week and stab the straw all the way through and out the other side. I didn't realise and it took me a moment to work out why my capri-sun was salty and tasteless!

Hollywood703
08-20-2007, 12:22
I always like to take a mouth ful of water and rinse real good before going into the water...I am not convinced yet about the bio-filter, and hard candy concerns me. I have yet to try the capri sun thing, but have one in the fridge for my next trip.

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 13:10
Capri Sun is a good way to go :) I always have a case around for anytime im going diving..
Having a hard sweet candy is also good to have after diving