PDA

View Full Version : UK versus Princeton

russp
07-29-2008, 13:29
I've decided to go with all LED lights, a 4C main, 4AA backup and tank locator. It's between the Princeton Miniwave and the UK C4 eLED for the main, any opinions of which is better? The Princeton set up ends up a little cheaper than the UK but not much.

UK package ($160):
Main C4 eLED
Backup Mini Q40+ eLED
Tank Locator

Princeton Tec package ($135):
Main Miniwave
Backup Impact XL LED
Eco Flare tank

dbsea
07-29-2008, 13:48
I have the Princeton miniwave & it is one great flood that is easy on batteries. The 2 position switch makes it even better.

rawalker
07-29-2008, 15:30
I also am a Princeton Tec Miniwave LED owner and am very happy with it as my primary. I own a UK Q40 eLED plus that I keep in a pocket as a backup light.

skdvr
07-29-2008, 16:26
I have the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light which is just the 8 cell version of the Tec Mini, and I think that it is a great light. I am glad that I did not spend the extra for the UK. I think that Princeton is just as nice...

Phil

rktman26
07-29-2008, 17:08
I have the Miniwave, and love it. I've never used UK, so I can't contrast the two.

russp
07-29-2008, 17:14
I'm getting the idea that Princeton is the winner here. So do I put the money I'm saving into coil lanyards or retractors or are the wrist straps good enough, at least for occaisional use?

ScubaJ
07-29-2008, 17:40
I've got the UK lights and love em. They are very tough; I know cause I've dropped the C4 eLED several times and set my gear on the tank light. They are very easy on batteries, easy to change batteries, and never flooded. Pretty much all I can ask for. :smiley20:
I've never used the Princeton, so I can't compare the two.

bubbletrubble
07-29-2008, 18:02
I'm getting the idea that Princeton is the winner here. So do I put the money I'm saving into coil lanyards or retractors or are the wrist straps good enough, at least for occaisional use?
You'll want to fashion some way to anchor the light to your rig. The wrist-strap, IMO, is insufficient. Some use a double-ended stainless steel bolt snap. Others (myself included) like the coil lanyards with plastic buckle to take up the excess length when not deployed.
For your backup light, I would highly recommend mounting it in DIR-fashion from a D-ring on your shoulder strap pointing down: bolt snap on end with bicycle innertube securing the head to the shoulder strap. Here's a picture (http://gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html) from the GUE website showing how it can be mounted on a BP/W setup. I find that this mounting method keeps the backup light out of the way and easily deployable.
Happy diving...

Coaster
07-29-2008, 22:34
I like my miniwave and use a coil. I keep my backup in my pocket.

CompuDude
07-30-2008, 03:04
I've decided to go with all LED lights, a 4C main, 4AA backup and tank locator. It's between the Princeton Miniwave and the UK C4 eLED for the main, any opinions of which is better? The Princeton set up ends up a little cheaper than the UK but not much.

UK package ($160):
Main C4 eLED
Backup Mini Q40+ eLED
Tank Locator

Princeton Tec package ($135):
Main Miniwave
Backup Impact XL LED
Eco Flare tank

Go for the UK kit.

the Miniwave is a nice little light. But so is the C4 eLED.

The Mini Q40 eLED is a GREAT little backup light. One of the best out there. Way better than the Impact.

The Ecoflare is a GREAT idea. Shame about the poor execution. I loved mine... until I replaced it for the 4th time. PT was always very courteous about replacing it for free, but I still had to ship my dead one to them and wait for the replacement to show up.

The PT lights are cooler looking. They have an "edgy" factor that's kind of neat. And the cheaper price is nice, too.

UK and PT are both good about cheerfully replacing lights that have failed and flooded. They actually honor their warranties, which is a nice change of pace from the rest of the world. From what I have seen, however, it seems like people need take advantage of PT's warranty a bit more often than UK's.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have my lights more reliable than "cool"... and I'll gladly pay a little bit more for that reliability.

skdvr
07-30-2008, 07:04
I use one of these (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3) and attach my light to my right shoulder d-ring. Most of the time I do not even need to unclip the buckle to use the light. The only time I have unclipped it is to hand the light to a buddy to look under something. That way is stays pretty close all the time. I like being able to just let go of it if I need my hand for something else. if you leave it unclipped then it stretches way out if you let go. The good thing is that you still have it attached to you, but then it is easier for things to get tangled up...

Phil

mitsuguy
07-30-2008, 07:51
It seems to me the PT's are a tad brighter than the UK lights, but I'm not sure which UK LED I am comparing my miniwave to...

Damselfish
07-30-2008, 07:52
I've often read that while UK and PT are great on warrenty service, PT needs it more often. I've had a number from both and that's been my experience, never problems with UK and a number of problems with PT lights. But I usually like the PT lights slightly better. I recently bought a PT Miniwave LED and a Torrent LED. I like them, and no problems, though so far it's only been a few night dives with the Miniwave and about 25 with the Torrent.

Darn, this reminds me that my old PT marker light (aquastar I think) flooded last week in Belize and I tossed the corroded bulb unit not thinking about the warrenty, but I kept the plastic shell. Think they would replace it if I don't have the whole thing? (Ironically, I recently bought an ecoflare just because I'd had such good luck with the aquastar not flooding, and they're similar.)

russp
07-30-2008, 08:36
Perhaps I should mix and match and do the PT Miniwave as the main and the UK Mini Q40 eLED as the backup. The Miniwave seems like it should be brighter (3 LED vs 1 in the UK) while the Mini Q40 does look better than the PT Impact. Either tank light looks sufficient and I'll go with the coil lanyard/retaining clip for the main light. I'm OK with the backup in a pocket.

russp
07-30-2008, 12:48
One more thought (to add to my confusion), does anyone use a non pistol grip for a main light? If I went this route, I could use the UK SL4 eLED as the main (if it's bright enough), the Mini Q40+ eLED as backup and get a tank beacon.

rawalker
07-30-2008, 13:51
Perhaps I should mix and match and do the PT Miniwave as the main and the UK Mini Q40 eLED as the backup. The Miniwave seems like it should be brighter (3 LED vs 1 in the UK) while the Mini Q40 does look better than the PT Impact. Either tank light looks sufficient and I'll go with the coil lanyard/retaining clip for the main light. I'm OK with the backup in a pocket.

As I stated earlier I have gone with the PT Miniwav LED it is 9 watts compared to the UK 4c eLED which is 6 watts.

As for the backup light I also prefer and use the UK mine is a Mini Q40 eLED plus. The plus version is a 2 watt light if you go with the Mini Q40 eLED it is only a 1 watt version of roughly the same size.

The Plus is a lot brighter and IMHO worth a few extra bux.

russp
07-30-2008, 14:18
From Rawalker:

As I stated earlier I have gone with the PT Miniwav LED it is 9 watts compared to the UK 4c eLED which is 6 watts.

As for the backup light I also prefer and use the UK mine is a Mini Q40 eLED plus. The plus version is a 2 watt light if you go with the Mini Q40 eLED it is only a 1 watt version of roughly the same size.

The Plus is a lot brighter and IMHO worth a few extra bux.[/quote]

Yeah Rawalker, that's why I started thinking along that line. Do you have any opinion on using a non pistol grip as a main light?

CompuDude
07-30-2008, 16:30
Pistol grips are more comfortable over the course of an entire dive. If you're just poking in crevices it does matter, but if you'll be doing much night diving, you'll find the pistol grip more comfortable to hold throughout the dive.

rawalker
07-30-2008, 17:59
I agree with CompuDude on the pistol grip just being more comfortable. That is a major point for a primary light for the backup size and where it fits is a consideration.

chixdigit
09-02-2008, 16:01
I've heard that UK will use less battery than a comparable Princeton light. Does anyone have any input regarding this type of comparison?

Grin
09-03-2008, 09:37
Only if it has less power. Meaning it isn't as bright. So maybe the one that uses batteries faster is the one you should be looking at.

texdiveguy
09-03-2008, 09:56
Both manfc. are good worthy products......I persl. prefer PT myself.

chixdigit
09-03-2008, 10:01
Only if it has less power. Meaning it isn't as bright. So maybe the one that uses batteries faster is the one you should be looking at.

Not so sure about that... A lot of the time, cheaper electronics are not as efficient as higher quality electronics.. That is why some really cheap flashlights can really burn through batteries, while a similar (same bulb, and battery capacity) higher end light can run longer on the same batteries due to higher quality materials/ connection points/ etc.
That's what I am curious about.. The "efficiency" of UK vs Princeton..

mitsuguy
09-03-2008, 10:37

Not so sure about that... A lot of the time, cheaper electronics are not as efficient as higher quality electronics.. That is why some really cheap flashlights can really burn through batteries, while a similar (same bulb, and battery capacity) higher end light can run longer on the same batteries due to higher quality materials/ connection points/ etc.

its about brightness, not necessarily efficiency IMO... in the water, the miniwave/led princeton tec is brighter than the eled plus of the UK light...

on 4 C batteries, my PT light gets about 6 hours of runtime mostly high, some low operation... thats pretty good for 4 C's in my opinion...

Deep VI
09-03-2008, 10:56
UK all the way! My SL4 eLed almost out guns my PT Shockwave LED. Invest in coils/retractors for sure.

chixdigit
09-03-2008, 11:02

its about brightness, not necessarily efficiency IMO... in the water, the miniwave/led princeton tec is brighter than the eled plus of the UK light...

on 4 C batteries, my PT light gets about 6 hours of runtime mostly high, some low operation... thats pretty good for 4 C's in my opinion...

You've got a great point about the brightness being the most important apect underwater... Considering that both of these manufacturers are good quality stuff, I would think that any "efficiencies due to materials, etc" would be very minimal between these two brands.
Good to hear your input that the PT seems brighter than the UK to you.
Seems like PT is a very viable option on a lot of points.
That's great run time on your miniwave! Glad to hear that I didn't use too much of your battery life on your spare light on Sunday!
Thanks for letting me borrow your light Cody. I'm seriously considering bying the PT Torrent Xenon's for me and my fiancee's backup lights.
Those seem like BRIGHT little lights!
Not sure about purchasing primary lights yet, as we don't really do much night/ cave/ lake/ low-vis diving to spend another $120+ on primary lights for each of us!