PDA

View Full Version : Places to dive around Houston

mr_tabasco
07-30-2008, 11:20
Are there any other places to dive around Houston other than Blue Lagoon. My wife and I are newly certified divers and have a trip to Coz planned for Oct but wanted to get some bubble time in before then so we enjoy the trip more. Any suggestions?

roofless
07-30-2008, 11:27
http://forum.scubatoys.com/207775-post13.html

gthomas
07-30-2008, 11:30
Cozumel is a great reward for diving in our Texas ponds.

TRACI
07-30-2008, 12:08
Are there any other places to dive around Houston other than Blue Lagoon. My wife and I are newly certified divers and have a trip to Coz planned for Oct but wanted to get some bubble time in before then so we enjoy the trip more. Any suggestions?

What about Mammoth Lake?

roofless
07-30-2008, 12:26
What about Mammoth Lake?

2nd comment is a post about Mammoth Lake

mr_tabasco
07-30-2008, 12:34
Got it. I ill check into that as an option. I appreciate the info and sorry I missed the other post.

roofless
07-30-2008, 13:14
No sweat, it was an incidental comment. No one would have known unless stumbling upon it.

dagrath
08-12-2008, 20:25
So, uhhh... excuse the ignorance, but what is diving like in some of these lakes and scuba parks? I live in the SF Bay Area out here in California, and we have some amazing (albeit coooold) diving in Monterey. So I might already be too spoiled, but it seems like lake diving would be pretty murky and low on really cool things to see.

The in-laws live just south of Houston in League City though, and I would love to dive on some trips to visit them. Info seems sparse on Mammoth Lake in terms of what there is to see and do. Is it worth dragging all the gear to TX to dive there, or is it just a really convenient place to goof off underwater? :)

ParrotheadDiver
08-13-2008, 06:27
IMO I would not drag my gear from CA just to dive a lake in Texas....the Flower Gardens would be the closest clear water diving but that is a long boat ride and an overnight stay on the boat....but being divers the lakes are all we have within driving distance so we dive in them....my 2 pesos:smiley2:

DeepDiver87
08-13-2008, 08:02
Lake travis isnt to bad a place to Dive. I just got back from there this weekend and we stayed at Manisfield Dame camp site its really cheap. The water gets deep really quick and it does get pretty dark. But there are certain places by the dame just for diving and there are real wrecks not ones placed there by people.

dagrath
08-13-2008, 11:03
IMO I would not drag my gear from CA just to dive a lake in Texas....the Flower Gardens would be the closest clear water diving but that is a long boat ride and an overnight stay on the boat....but being divers the lakes are all we have within driving distance so we dive in them....my 2 pesos:smiley2:

Thanks, that clears it up perfectly. :) Flower Gardens is definitely on my list for one of the trips, it sounds amazing.

mr_tabasco
08-13-2008, 12:18
How deep are the wrecks? We are new divers and just wanted to get some more time under water before we go to Cozumel. It would be nice to see something interesting.

mr_tabasco
08-13-2008, 12:20

The only place I have dove is the Blue Lagon an I would agree it is not worth draging the gear along for the dive.

DeepDiver87
08-13-2008, 12:35
The wrecks at travis arent too deep there is a sail boat by the dam about 20 feet under because the water is 20 feet low right now. But if you go out about 40 feet its about 100 feet deep so you can do deep, and wreck dives there. We did one night dive and went to about 71 feet and the water was about 68 and since we didnt have wet suits we didnt stay there to long.

ParrotheadDiver
08-13-2008, 14:26

The only place I have dove is the Blue Lagon an I would agree it is not worth draging the gear along for the dive.

you are close enough to Mammoth Lake to drive over there for some u/w time before you go to Coz...I have not been there yet but it is suppose to be 65ft at it's deepest point....but since we have not had much rain not sure what the depth would be....but they have enough stuff sunk there at different depths that it should make it an interesting dive....I would like to go at some point just to say I did....this dive shop is located there and could probably give you more info http://hydrosportsscuba.com/ here is more info http://www.bayareadivers.org/map-directions-mammothlake-scubapark-lakejacksontexas.htm

DeepDiver87
08-13-2008, 14:29
I hevtn been to Mammouth lake I heard that you cant see anything but when can you really in texas.

ParrotheadDiver
08-13-2008, 14:32
on a good day you get 5ft viz....on a really really good day 15ft

DeepDiver87
08-13-2008, 15:08
Sounds like Ill be going soon to check it out.