PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Cozumel dive opperators

SHAGGY
08-10-2007, 21:43
Me and my brother have booked a trip to cozumel for the second week of November 07 and were looking for some suggestions on some good dive opperators. It will be my first time there but he dove there in 99. Were just going to be there for 5 days but were gonna try and pack as much into it as we can. I was just looking for which ones there might give the best bang for the buck.

Thanks

porsche060
08-12-2007, 11:19
Blue XTC and Dive Paradise I heard good things about

Athena2c
08-12-2007, 11:37
We were in Cozumel in April 2005 and dove with Dive Paradise. We had a great time with them and a great trip!

porsche060
08-12-2007, 12:14
Did you take any instructional courses with DP?

Where did you stay?

SHAGGY
08-12-2007, 14:08
We were in Cozumel in April 2005 and dove with Dive Paradise. We had a great time with them and a great trip!

We're gonna check them out. We're gonna try to find someone that will also offer some shore diving along with a few boat dives. We went snorkeling there before Wilma hit in 05 and it was great and we were there in March of this year and it had changed alot but I think shore diving will still be good at night.

Athena2c
08-12-2007, 14:23
Porshe-We stayed at Hotel Cozumel-Dive Paradise is on site. We didn't take any courses with them though.

Shaggy-I know Dive Paradise has shore diving from Hotel Cozumel, but all we did was boat dives while we were there. Some friends of ours went back in 2006 after the hurricane and said things had changed, but it was still great diving.

georoc01
08-12-2007, 15:27
I dove with Aldora Divers at the beginning of July and they were a great dive op. I hear very good things about Dive with Martin as well and Scuba with Allison.

Have you determined your accomodations first? IF that's the case, look into what dive ops work with that place to get the best deal. Or work it the other way.

Dive Palancar was the house op for our stay Hotel Allegro, and there was a big plus in diving with them is that they kept running boats out all day and it was single dives back and forth to the resort.

torrey
08-12-2007, 16:02
Before the hurricane, Dive with Martin had his shop right at the international pier, giving easy access to some nice shore diving. I'm not sure where they are now, but there may be another outfit nearby.

torrey
08-12-2007, 16:08
Looks like there's more thorough discussion going on about Cozumel in this thread (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=272).

94GTStang
08-12-2007, 17:15
bottomtimedivers.net. Great operation with a small fast boat. Raul is a splendid DM.

porsche060
08-12-2007, 17:45
Heard mixed reviews about dive with martin...

underwaterdan
08-12-2007, 19:19
I just got back from a trip with Scuba with Alison. She is from the states, has great help, small trips, very very very comfortable to dive with. She picked me up at my hotel, not sure if that happens at all hotels. Overall It was a great dive op, and a nice small boat, not overcrowded. Also when she realized I was an air hog on my first day she was sure to have a 100 on board for me for my night dive so I didn't miss out on anything. Feel free to ask any more questions about the operation that I didn't mention.

uncjump
08-12-2007, 19:22
Caribe Blu was great ( http://www.caribeblu.net/index.html )and we dived everyday with Blue Angel which is just right door. We were there in June but the hotel air conditioning was great. It was just far enough out of town to be secluded, but taxi to town was like $5 US. Not too many resturants right next door, but there are a few.

RECDiver
08-12-2007, 21:54
I have dove with Blue Angel Divers on a couple of trips down there. Fast boats, good dive guides. No complaints. http://www.blueangel-scuba.com/
I have heard good things about Dive Paradise, though I have not dove with them. http://www.diveparadise.com/

torrey
08-13-2007, 08:35
If I were planning a dive trip on my own, I would probably go with Blue XTC based on Christi's popularity and presence on Scubaboard.

torrey
08-13-2007, 08:38
Heard mixed reviews about dive with martin...

Our club has used them for an annual trip for several years and as far as I know there have never been any complaints. Both Martin and his wife passed away last year though, and other family members stepped in, so I'm not sure how well it's being run now.

Here's a thread (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1425) with more info about Dive with Martin.

porsche060
08-13-2007, 08:47
Was it an accident that they both passed away the same time?

Axewizard
08-13-2007, 08:48
I just got back from a trip with Scuba with Alison. She is from the states, has great help, small trips, very very very comfortable to dive with. She picked me up at my hotel, not sure if that happens at all hotels. Overall It was a great dive op, and a nice small boat, not overcrowded. Also when she realized I was an air hog on my first day she was sure to have a 100 on board for me for my night dive so I didn't miss out on anything. Feel free to ask any more questions about the operation that I didn't mention.

I would have to agree, Alison is the bomb! I've dove with her twice now and as long as she operates, I'll use her. She did a remarkable job with my wife and I (my wife's a newb and a little nervous). I would recommend her to anyone that goes to Coz. Small boats, great service, small groups. Love it!!!

torrey
08-13-2007, 10:06
Was it an accident that they both passed away the same time?

Here's a quote from his website at www.divewithmartin.com:

Martin passed away this past Thanksgiving morning. He was buried on his beloved home of Isla de Cozumel the next morning. Many have asked; what was the cause of his death? To try and answer that, one must review what befell a truly strong and caring man. First, his brother Sergio drowned. This as a result of many, many health issues on Sergioís part. Next, his island, his business, and his community was devastated by the worst hurricane in modern history. Soon after a heroic recovery, he lost his wife Shelly to a brain aneurysm in May.

The demands of his business, his family, and his community, coupled with his tragic losses, began to take a toll on Martinís health. He was diagnosed with pneumonia the latter part of September. He never quite seemed to overcome it. His body weakened and he was unable to recover. Take away the previous circumstances, and the Martin we all knew would have shaken pneumonia off easily. But we canít... and he didnít.

What we can do is remember Martin as he would have wanted us to. That quick little smile. That guy who was always there to take care of us and much more. That guy who remembered us when we came back, and was sincerely interested in us, our families, and our friends. That guy was and still is Martin!

rdiver
08-13-2007, 10:13
We are on a family trip to Cozumel next year, I'll make sure to make a list of some of these ops, it will sure come in handy!

Illini_Fan
08-13-2007, 10:28
I used Dive with Martin back in March of this year. It was my first dives post certification, so I really had no idea what to expect. Our OW instructor had recommended DWM so off we went.

They are still down at the international pier and cannot pick-up from any of the piers downtown -- so if you have your own gear, you'll need to address the transportation issue. At that time, we were renting, so no impact to us. We still had the taxi ride each way, so that needs to get factored into your cost analysis.

I have nothing negative to say about the trip -- DWM is fairly inexpensive in comparison to some other operators and that probably shows itself most on the boat. We had two different small boats, neither had shade and don't expect a full spread of food during the SI. That being said, the dives were great, they catered to our very limited experience level and I always felt safe.

Probably the best way I can sum it up; the next time I'm going to CZM, I'll try a different operator so I can make a better comparison.

porsche060
08-13-2007, 10:45
What is typical food spread on these cozumel boats?

Illini_Fan
08-13-2007, 10:57
On DWM, we had bottled water and watermelon. I brought a ziplock bag full of peanuts and shared that around.

I think on the afternoon dive, we might have had pineapple instead of watermelon, but I'm not sure.

SHAGGY
08-14-2007, 13:53
Thanks for all the suggestions,.... Have any of you done any of the shore diving after Wilma hit? Were planning on doing some boat dives and even a couple of boat night dives, but we were told that the a shore dive can also be fun at night.

Foo2
08-14-2007, 14:06
I highly recommend Blue XT Sea (http://www.bluextseadiving.com). Christi is fantastic and her DM's are wonderful!

porsche060
08-14-2007, 14:50
Is watermelon or fruits from mexico that safe to eat? When I live down in Cancun I remember a warning not to touch the fruits

ertechsg
08-14-2007, 15:35
The dive op will have fruit and sometime peanut butter sandwiches water soda. All will pick you up from south of town just tell them where you are staying at. Dive Paridise is awsome they will take you to dive the reef of choice.And if you are a little shakey you can hire a private DM for $30. Let the regulars decide just go with the flow and you can't go wrong. Also make sure to go in town to check out the place stop and have a beer with the locals.

torrey
08-14-2007, 16:34
Is watermelon or fruits from mexico that safe to eat? When I live down in Cancun I remember a warning not to touch the fruits

What I had heard years ago was to avoid fruits without a peel or that you don't peel yourself as it may have been washed in un-purified water. That was awhile back though, and this is what Christy from Blue XTC says about it on her website:

Q: Is it safe to drink the water/ice in Cozumel?

A: Not even the locals drink the tap water...and all of the ice on the island in restaurants, hotels, etc. is purified. Any water/ice that you are served anywhere on the island will be purified, so not to worry. As I said, not even the locals drink it, so why would they give it to a tourist? No one wants you getting sick on vacation.

Some of the larger and nicer hotels/resorts do have water filtration/purification systems. If this is the case in your hotel, there will be signs in your room or they will inform you of this when checking in. If in doubt, ask the hotel staff. Potable is ok to drink, not potable is not ok to drink.

jengel
08-14-2007, 16:39
I have been diving in Cozumel since 1987 with Dive Paradise. I have logged over 100 dives with them. They run a good organization and have many excellent Dive Masters. In November, which is not prime season, the DM's will be competing for a boat and usually the best are available. For a few dollars extra you can get the fast boats. They generally only take 6 persons plus a captain and dive master and you get excellent service. Fast boats will also take you some of the more distant sites and they can get you there more quickly. Dive Paradise will pick you up at any of the hotel docks and you can pay for just the dives you want. Multi dive packages are available with some discount. The two tank morning dive is my favorite. Off shore diving is generally available through the dive operation on site at your hotel or the dock near it.

tslane888
08-14-2007, 19:55
I dove with Aqua Safari last December on my first trip to Coz. They are the house dive op at the Cozumel Palace but will pick up anywhere/everwhere (I believe). We asked for their smaller "fast boat" (smaller group). They were very professional and we had a great time with them.:smiley20:

SHAGGY
08-15-2007, 12:30
I have been diving in Cozumel since 1987 with Dive Paradise. I have logged over 100 dives with them. They run a good organization and have many excellent Dive Masters. In November, which is not prime season, the DM's will be competing for a boat and usually the best are available. For a few dollars extra you can get the fast boats. They generally only take 6 persons plus a captain and dive master and you get excellent service. Fast boats will also take you some of the more distant sites and they can get you there more quickly. Dive Paradise will pick you up at any of the hotel docks and you can pay for just the dives you want. Multi dive packages are available with some discount. The two tank morning dive is my favorite. Off shore diving is generally available through the dive operation on site at your hotel or the dock near it.

Is Dive Paradise right on the beach, and do they also offer shore diving?

porsche060
08-15-2007, 14:25
Just an FYI in contacting dive paradise, dont use lotus notes but another email program. My e-mails kept on being received as blanks till I used yahoo

unclepooty
08-15-2007, 14:50
There is shore diving at the DP shop located across the street from Hotel Coz. Resort. I'm not sure about the other locations.

ertechsg
08-15-2007, 16:38

Is Dive Paradise right on the beach, and do they also offer shore diving?
Shaggy yes DP is on a beach( they have 2 shops on the island) not a very big one Them and most dive shops down there will rent a tank for around $6 . Alot of people do night dive right off the shore. Plus most shops give you a free tank when you arrive to check you weight get final adj..

SHAGGY
08-15-2007, 21:49
Thanks for the info,......... I'm pretty excited about SCUBA in blue water. Ive done snorkleing in Cozumel, Belieze, and in Grand Cayman, but this will be my first SCUBA trip. Since getting certified, I'm getting several dives in at my job, "Lake Patrol Officer", but its definately not relaxing diving that I do at work, but they buy all of my gear and training, which is great. Visibility as of late has been 1-2ft max and while near our dam doing inspections, and it gets completely dark below 7ft.

kqhouston
08-18-2007, 23:58
Hey, here's a "me too" for Dive Paradise.....we dive with them a few times a year, always fast boats now (6 pack or less). Apple is very accommodating, and now, if we stay somewhere very south on the island, we give the boat captain our forms and go in later in the week to settle up our account!

So far, they've never let us down.

In July (2007) I took a nitrox course on a day off and it was a private class! Can't do better than that. Same price as in the states, and two tanks of nitrox came along with it.

Friends suggest other operators, but if it ain't broke, we don't need to fix it!

rkmccamp
08-19-2007, 00:09
not yellow rose. that's a solid decision. we've used several on the island...martin was a sweet man, but i felt like cattle was being pushed thru the dive shop...deep blue really tried to help us but we haven't used them since they got a divorce...i just used the dive operators at iberostar and they were great...

SHAGGY
08-19-2007, 03:11
not yellow rose. that's a solid decision. we've used several on the island...martin was a sweet man, but i felt like cattle was being pushed thru the dive shop...deep blue really tried to help us but we haven't used them since they got a divorce...i just used the dive operators at iberostar and they were great...

I hope Hurricane Dean spares the people of Cozumel the type of destruction that Wilma left in 05.

JIverson
08-19-2007, 11:13
Just got back from a dive trip to Cozumel. The dive was great, I just hope it all looks the same after this next week.
It just can't compare to the lake diving up here.

Devil Diver
08-20-2007, 06:08
And here's why:

True valet diving. You drop your stuff off at her shop (except wetsuits and cameras) and fill out the forms. There are many places they can pick you up. We've always stayed close to downtown and they pick us up at the T shaped pier right next to the Aldora pier.

When you get on the boat, you'll find your gear all set up and your dive bag onboard. When you get back on the boat, the captain gives you a nice big fluffy towel. The DM's (who are just FANTASTIC by the way) change your tanks over for you on the SI. And speaking of the surface interval...cold water and fruit juice, fruit (I've never gotten sick from eating any of the fruit on the boat) and some type of cookie/brownie/muffin.

At the end of the dive day, you simply take your wetsuit and camera and get off the boat. The staff takes all your gear back to the shop and rinses it for you. I've never even had a faint taste of salt on by bc's oral inflator, they do a very through job. When you get on the boat for the next day, your gear is all set up again. On the last day, you can either take your gear with you, or pick it up at the shop the next day, fully rinsed.

We'll be going for our third trip to Cozumel the November and will dive with Christi again. Ask just about anyone that had dove with her and Blue XT~Sea and they'll tell you it's like diving with family, because she treats everyone as if they were.

Just so you know, I have no affiliation with Christi and receive no compensation, I just love diving with her and brag about Blue XT~Sea every chance I get.

divechaplain-sara
08-20-2007, 20:42
I went to Cozumel for my first ocean dive a month after my certification dives. We went on the Careyitos with Ricardo Madrigal. There were four divers in my group and one solo diver who joined us. Additionally there was Ricardo and three other dive masters. As a newbie diver I got to have a dive master for a buddy as did the other newly certified diver. I had a wonderful experience and would strongly recommend them to anyone. You can check them out at www.advanceddivers.com (http://www.advanceddivers.com). There was a great spread of food for the break between dives--fresh fruit and veggies and the makings for sandwhiches, fresh water and sodas.

cutter77
08-23-2007, 21:28
We used Dive With Martin but that was before Martin passed on. Haven't read a lot of reviews of diving since then so not sure. We'll probably use DWM again.

Compass
09-01-2007, 12:42
You were looking for dive operation recommendations at the beginning of this thread:

Aqua Safari was good to me last year and I will be diving with them again in a few weeks. I took two specialty courses from them last year and intend to take some more this year (Sept 15). I dived both on their boats and from their boat dock. In addition to their boats (large boats and fast boats - your choice), they have a pier just outside their front door from which I also dived. They are near the international cruise ship port. They charge about $60 for morning two-tank dive and the afternoon one-tank dive is only $9 if you were on their morning dive ($23/dive average). This is the best price I have found anywhere on the island. Other places I have checked are charging $65 to $75 for two tank dives. They also pick up from many hotel piers. The list of hotels they service and much more info is at www.aquasafari.com (http://www.aquasafari.com)

They are very courteous and professional. Their instructors, captains, divemasters are knowledgeable, friendly, patient, and confidence inspiring.

I was unhappy about a delay or something and without hesitating they refunded my money for the dives and the specialty course that I had already taken and enjoyed with them that day, just to try to 'brighten my day' as they put it. I mailed the money back to them about a month later so that I could sleep better because I felt they had provided excellent service and my artificially tight schedule should not have been their problem. I also learned a lesson in humility and good business practices by their example. They never tried to convince me that I was wrong or that they were right, they just genuinely wanted to help me to enjoy my vacation, which they did (in spite of my momentary loss of self control and perspective).

SHAGGY
09-01-2007, 14:23
Compass,

Thanks for the info on Dive safari. I have also looked at them. Im gonna be closer to the other cruise port but I may check with them as well. I was thinking of dive paradise since it will only be a couple of blocks from our hotel. I figured we could then get in alot of shore dives as well with them being so close.

lucidblue
09-01-2007, 16:59
Aquatic Sports Cozumel (http://www.scubacozumel.com/) (Deportes Acuaticos). Sergio is a great guide.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 17:02
thats depressing , hopefully the dive operation will still survive, next time i am there i will use them thanks

Hemlon
09-01-2007, 17:05
Blue XT Sea runs a first-rate operation! Christi is incredible!

TexasScuba53
09-02-2007, 07:12
Everyone has their favorite DP in Coz but mine is Liquid Blue. They are a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. Small fast boat gets you to dive site before cattle cars show up and Jorge is a World Class DM. He is the bro of the owner Roberto and they do an excellent job. I haven't dove with anyone else but have logged over 50 dives with them. The thing that first attracted me was a recommendation from a dive shop owner her in Keller plus they have 120 Steels. FIRST CLASS OP.