PDA

View Full Version : heart rate monitor

Monkeylemon
07-30-2008, 13:45
I'm looking to buy a wristwatch-style heart rate monitor--looking at the Polar series. Any advice?

fireflock
07-30-2008, 15:36
You can get a Reebok Precision XT for around $35, and mine works just as well as the HRM that came with my Garmin Forerunner.

Prices have really come down over the past few years, so you can save some money unless there is some feature you really need to have.

Monkeylemon
07-30-2008, 16:02
Thanks--I was looking at ones that were more $$ because I've been reading reports about unreliability at the lower ends. But yours is dependable, huh? Do you get interference ever from others' devices?

fireflock
07-30-2008, 16:37
I've used mine in places where there is no potential interference (running or riding outside) and at the gym where there are monitors everywhere. I've not had any interference problems. The RBK monitor works with the machines at my gym, where the Garmin one doesn't. That might be something to check out, if it's important to you.

The one drawback to the RBK over the more expensive Garmin are some limits on the distance between the monitor and the watch. Things work fine while the watch is on my wrist, but if I set it on the treadmill or attach it to the bike handlebars, sometimes the RBK signal drops out because it's too far away. It's not a problem if I'm wearing the watch.

Rich

sravin1
07-30-2008, 16:40
I have a reebok precision xt that I got from woot.com for 20$. was a steal and works very well no complaints.

If you are not specific about certain features, just buy this

digitalman
07-30-2008, 16:50
To dive with? My Galileo SOL has the HR monitor (polar) built in. When I wear it, from the rear it looks like I have a bra strap on if my wetsuit isn't zipped. It gets a few comments. Just a heads up if you wear it for diving :)

mchain
07-30-2008, 17:07
I have a reebok precision xt that I got from woot.com for 20$. was a steal and works very well no complaints.

If you are not specific about certain features, just buy this

woot-off in progress!

umm... I have a monitor I bought at walmart a few months ago but I've not used it enough to tell you if it's any good or not. I've been looking at the suunto computers with HRM for cycling. Basically because I don't know any other ones to look at but they get me excited.

Monkeylemon
08-05-2008, 17:21
OK, I got me a Polar F11, and so far it's great. Pretty easy interface. I'd recommend it.

sravin1
08-06-2008, 12:22
where did you get it and if you dont mind me asking, for how much?

Rockhound76
08-06-2008, 14:31
I use a Polar. The first, an A5, lasted me 5 years. It worked great, but it would cross-talk with other cyclists in my spin classes. This new one is a few months old and works very well (can't remember the model, but it was less than $100).

Advice: Go coded. No interference in the gym or in a pack running or cycling. Check on compatibility with devices in your gym. Polar is the standard and YES, these machines can pick up the coded transmitters. Go with a chest strap. Most reliable and easy to use method of reading HR.

Use the darn thing. They do help.

I use mine for spinning. I have to stand up and get my chest within 18" of the display on the spin bike, but once it reads, it locks on and is reliable for the rest of class, in any position.

My old uncoded A5 would only work when I was standing up over the bars (the display).

Monkeylemon
08-06-2008, 15:11
where did you get it and if you dont mind me asking, for how much?
I found a brand new one on eBay for $120 w/shipping. Pricey, but they retail for around $160 and up, so...

sravin1
08-06-2008, 20:03
thank you.

Monkeylemon
08-07-2008, 09:18
Let me know if you wind up with one...it adds an interesting component to workouts.

fireflock
08-08-2008, 08:56
The RBK monitor is on woot.com today for $25 shipped, if anyone is interested. Today only, for those not familiar with woot.