PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Dive Brief Contents

Warby
08-10-2007, 21:44
I'm trying to put a pre-dive brief slate together, so I can get some consistency in my briefings. I'd be interested to know what other divers discuss/cover with their buddies before they descend. If you have a list you use, please post it, dont leave out the obvious as other divers may overlook what you deem to be obvious.
If you dont really brief with your buddy before you get in the water, maybe reading some of these replies will encourage you to do so, it only has to take a few minutes and can help everyone to feel at ease.

Looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance!

DivingsInMyBlood
08-10-2007, 21:46
Dont you normaly get something like this in the back of your ow text book? i got stuff like this in my padi one i think.

cummings66
08-10-2007, 23:05
I don't have an official list. We check gear and discuss the dive and if needed for a deep dive our air amounts needed to complete the dive safely.

The list we use is something found in the OW diving manuals. What we're doing there in the first place determines what else we talk about. There can be no list for that. I find this one to be about right.

what do you want to do tonight? The same thing we do every night, Pinky - Try to take over the world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_domination)!

Here's our dive plan for this Sunday.

I show up, the other 3 show up. We'll go through the gear checks and make sure the 2 new divers are comfortable in the water and then we're going down as deep as we can get. It's only 30 feet max, so no biggie. We have no concern over air due to the depth, nor time. So when the new divers run low (an appropriate number) we'll come up do a safety stop for practice and then surface. Repeat with their second series of tanks and me with my first tank. I'm using a drysuit, they're using wetsuits.

WV Diver
08-11-2007, 08:46
The type of predive checklist/briefing that you are referring to can be very detailed or very simple. I think you'll find that as you go things on the list will become second nature and you will do them without thinking. Especailly if you dive with the same buddy in the same places a lot. Soon the list becomes completely mental.

Check air, gear, safety and emergency protocols, review signals, discuss dive plan and solutions to possible problems etc. As with most things complacency is your big enemy.

namabiru
08-11-2007, 12:23
I guess I let my buddy know if I'm going to be doing something while in the water, like picking up trash or trying to photograph something. That way if they turn around and I'm not there, to not immediately panic--I've probably just stopped to pick up something.

plot
08-12-2007, 21:38
We decide on where we're diving, the max depth, and most importantly... we go over our hand signals.

everyone has different hand signals they like to use, so i always make sure to check. particular the hand signals used to check their air.

On a night dive I always make sure my buddy knows that the "OK" signal is running their light in circles... that way I dont have to stair into their light as they're trying to show me some hand signal... i also don't have to look back at them with this method as they can do it along the ground in front of me and I can do it too to signal back and we can continue on our way without actually having to stop and get each others attention.

return dive info is also key. at either what time we're going to return to the boat or at what PSI we're gonna turn around and head back at.