PDA

View Full Version : Free flowing regulator question....

crea2k
07-31-2008, 11:25
Im just going the online bit of my OW now and on the the section about free flowing reg's and how to breath from them etc, I have a question...if this happend wouldnt you just not bother trying and use your alternate second stage instead and accent that way, wouldnt that be easier and safer than trying to take in air from a free flowing reg ?. Im supprised they havnt designed a valve you can screw in to cut off a free flowing reg so you could then use your alternate 2nd stage to accend as normal without loosing air.

awap
07-31-2008, 11:41
That depends on which stage is really causing the freeflow. Switching to your octo and ascending may well work. But breathing from a freeflowing 2nd is still a good skill to know you have in your bag of tricks. I believe there are 2nd stage cutoffs available. Whether it is a safety aide or just another potential failure point is debatable.

gregor
07-31-2008, 11:47
It's not all that difficult to breath from, and if you took it out of your mouth it might start swinging around, kinda like a balloon you let go of, but in slow motion. Another thing to think about is that air is going to be leaking out pretty quickly, so you might as well put some of it to good use (breathing it).

As to the shutoff valves, there are some of those out there that screw in between the end of the hose and 2nd stage. I'm not sure how it would work, i guess it would depend on why the 2nd stage is leaking, if it's leaking because the 1st stage Intermediate Pressure has gone up (blown HP seat or something like that) when you shut off the primary 2nd stage, you will probably get a leak in your backup 2nd stage. If it's a problem with the 2nd stage causing the freeflow, then yeah a shutoff would stop it and you could go to your backup and ascend with a greater safety margin. Probably isn't worth the trouble, since an uncontrolled freeflow is a pretty rare event with well maintained gear.

Defman
07-31-2008, 11:57
Another thing to think about is that air is going to be leaking out pretty quickly, so you might as well put some of it to good use (breathing it).

My thought exactly...

fisheater
07-31-2008, 12:25
In addition to the above, breathing from your octo would be easier, but it would ADD to your air loss. You might was well breath from the freeflowing reg.

As you're losing air rapidly and you still want to make a safe and slow ascent, it's not a good idea to do anything that limits your ability to make that slow and safe ascent.

crea2k
07-31-2008, 12:50
Ahh yeah see what you mean now, thought it might use the air up a bit fast breathing from both, just thought it might be easier to coordinate yourself going up without having bubbles blasted in your face :smiley36:.

Lone Frogman
07-31-2008, 13:05
You can kink the hose and stop the flow.

skdvr
07-31-2008, 13:18
You can kink the hose and stop the flow.

Does that actually work? I wold not think that would stop the leak very well. Plus I would not want to waist time trying to mess with that. It really is not that hard to breathe off of a free flowing reg, so if mine freeflows I am just going to breathe off of it all the way to the surface or until the air runs out and I then get a reg from my buddy. I personally am not overly concerned with it because it is so rare. If I am going fiarly deep though (espically deep and cold water) I carry a Pony bottle just incase...

Phil

Ron G.
07-31-2008, 13:21
Well, I gotta say that if breathing from a free flowing regulator was taught in my OW class last December, I completely missed it.

So, now I'm curious....how do you breathe from a free-flowing regulator?

Ron

skdvr
07-31-2008, 13:28
Well, I gotta say that if breathing from a free flowing regulator was taught in my OW class last December, I completely missed it.

Ron

It should have been taught...

Now I am not sure how the book says but these are the two ways that I have practiced it...

1) Cup hand around mouthpiece of flowing reg and put your cupped hand up to your mouth. Breathe easily and slowly through your hand. You will get a little water in your mouth, but if you go slow you can manage this very easily.

2) Just hold the flowing regs mouth piece up to my lips and breathe easily and slowly from the stream of bubbles comming out of the reg. Again you will get a little water in your mouth, but it is easy to handle...

Again those are just the ways that I practice it every once in a while. That may not be the Text Book answer, but it does work for me...

Phil

tonka97
07-31-2008, 13:41
.... an uncontrolled freeflow is a pretty rare event with well maintained gear.

It happened to a diver in Bonaire, while I was there. The diver reported the freeflow started at about 80 feet, and she nearly depleted her supply during the ascent. :smiley5:

I would be surprised if her equipment hadn't been regularly serviced.

digitalman
07-31-2008, 13:43
It is rare to have a freeflow, but sometimes the 1st stage can freeze up in cold water, so you'd best know how to handle it. If it's the first stage, it will likely cause a freeflow from either or both 2nd stages.

Skuttle
07-31-2008, 13:51
I dive a lot in Lake Mead and I tend to get sand grit (that is what I call it) in my Octo. Which then causes it to freeflow. Finally got shown how to take care of that. Now I don't have to run to the LDS to get it fixed.

tonka97
07-31-2008, 15:10
I dive a lot in Lake Mead and I tend to get sand grit (that is what I call it) in my Octo. Which then causes it to freeflow. Finally got shown how to take care of that. Now I don't have to run to the LDS to get it fixed.

What do you do to fix problem?

:smiley13:

Jenn
07-31-2008, 15:31

Ron

It should have been taught...

Now I am not sure how the book says but these are the two ways that I have practiced it...

1) Cup hand around mouthpiece of flowing reg and put your cupped hand up to your mouth. Breathe easily and slowly through your hand. You will get a little water in your mouth, but if you go slow you can manage this very easily.

2) Just hold the flowing regs mouth piece up to my lips and breathe easily and slowly from the stream of bubbles comming out of the reg. Again you will get a little water in your mouth, but it is easy to handle...

Again those are just the ways that I practice it every once in a while. That may not be the Text Book answer, but it does work for me...

Phil

I am recently ow certified and we never learned to breathe from a free flowing reg. I suppose I had never thought about it until I read this forum thanks for describing how you learned to breathe from a free flowing reg. hope you have a good day.

skdvr
07-31-2008, 15:35
It just blows me away that you folks did not do this in OW. I only took my OW about 2 years ago, but I know that we did this as part of the course. Maybe they do not require it. I practice this every so often with other emergency procedures and would recommend that you also practice when you have a chance all of your emergency procedures, so that if (when) something goes south that you can handle it rather easily....

Phil

WetHog
07-31-2008, 15:55
I was PADI certified in May for my OW and we practice free flows. Procedure was to hold the reg against my lips and sip air from it. So it is being taught, perhaps the instructors got busy and forgot to read their cards or follow the lesson plans.:smiley5:

ianr33
07-31-2008, 16:02

Take the faceplate off and remove grit/sand. Might want to take the diaphragm off while you are are at it as well and check beneath that.

Supposedly can be done underwater by those braver/more stupid than me!!

Panmanmatt
07-31-2008, 16:30
My son and I did our OW class a few months ago (PADI) and free flow reg breathing was taught.

tonka97
07-31-2008, 16:38

Take the faceplate off and remove grit/sand. Might want to take the diaphragm off while you are are at it as well and check beneath that.

Thanks for the tip!

I don't recall that breathing from free-flowing regulator was taught in my YMCA OW; I do remember seeing the issue addressed in Dive Training magazine; this is why I continue to subscribe to D.T......real world, possibly life saving information!

:smiley20:

mitsuguy
07-31-2008, 17:00
It just blows me away that you folks did not do this in OW. I only took my OW about 2 years ago, but I know that we did this as part of the course. Maybe they do not require it. I practice this every so often with other emergency procedures and would recommend that you also practice when you have a chance all of your emergency procedures, so that if (when) something goes south that you can handle it rather easily....

Phil

I just finished reading through my divemaster stuff and freeflowing reg is definitely something that is taught, or supposed to be taught...

I also did it in my class as well...

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
07-31-2008, 17:12

Phil

I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that PADI is the only agency that still teaches this skill. If that's true it's a shame.

bassplayer
07-31-2008, 17:23

Phil

I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that PADI is the only agency that still teaches this skill. If that's true it's a shame.

Naui teaches it where I am

waytooslow
07-31-2008, 17:45
ST (Naui) teaches the skill at as well.. it was an "optional" in my class - but everyone stayed till the end

Otter
07-31-2008, 19:47
I was certified (PADI) last Sept. and it was taught to my class. Very easy to do. It should be mandatory for every OW cert. agency. Make sure you know how to do it!

crea2k
07-31-2008, 20:33
I completed sections 3 and 4 of OW online sections tonight and have watched the dvd a few weeks ago, they say to half hold it in your mouth, so like one side in your mouth and the other out and sip the air slowly as to not choke on any water you might get in your mouth.

By the way, the person who said they didnt do it in their OW, didnt you do it at least in your theory ?, its on the padi dvd, which I think is supposed to be replacement for the manual, shows you how to do it on there :smiley20: ,have ordered a manual too just in case I need to look up anthing after im quaified :).

harb99
07-31-2008, 20:39
In my wifes OW class (SSI) - she was not taught to breath from a free flowing reg

I just asked her if she knew how to do it and she just kinda looked at me, said "No" and "that's why I have you as a buddy, so you can give me your spare" :)

pretty sure we will practice this sometime down the road in the pool

skdvr
08-01-2008, 08:01
In my wifes OW class (SSI) - she was not taught to breath from a free flowing reg

I just asked her if she knew how to do it and she just kinda looked at me, said "No" and "that's why I have you as a buddy, so you can give me your spare" :)

pretty sure we will practice this sometime down the road in the pool

Practice is a good idea... Every so often it is good to practice as many of the emergency procedures as you can...

Phil

bostondivegirl
08-01-2008, 13:03
I was certified in 1999 and I don't remember doing this. I will however try it on my next dive trip...just in case.

TRACI
08-01-2008, 13:11
I am SSI certified, and we were taught in our OW class

sravin1
08-01-2008, 13:29

Supposedly can be done underwater by those braver/more stupid than me!!

thanks for the useful information.

sravin1
08-01-2008, 13:31

Thanks for the tip!

I don't recall that breathing from free-flowing regulator was taught in my YMCA OW; I do remember seeing the issue addressed in Dive Training magazine; this is why I continue to subscribe to D.T......real world, possibly life saving information!

:smiley20:

we did it in my YMCA OW cert.

ScottW
08-01-2008, 16:31
Some agencies (PADI I know) breathing from a free flowing regulator is required teaching. Others (SSI I know) it's an added bonus from your instructor.
If your were not taught this skill take a moment to read the three? methods mentioned in this thread and try them out. All of them work. When you get cold teeth trying it don't blame me.

julz
08-01-2008, 19:24
i'm ssi and we were not taught in class but my buddy on my first dive after i finished class had me practise the technique so i would know what to do