PDA

View Full Version : Sea-Life DC800

maggs_the
07-31-2008, 10:29
Just got the DC800 from ST and am excited to use it in Curacao. I had the DC300 which did NOT have the external controls on the U/W housing so I've already made a step up. I know the other cameras out there have the same functions, but I love being able to switch UNDERWATER from photo to video! And a 4GB memory card?!? Oh, my friends hated me before for forcing them to look at every photo I took... they are going to REALLY avoid me now!!

It has SPY mode. I would have to have a set up, but it's so you can leave the camera sitting at the entrace of an octopus' hole and then you back away while the camera continues to take photos until you come back and make it stop. Manual said it may take 60 pictures before the octopus emerges but hey, it's all digital and on a 4GB memory card, that's NOTHING and now you've got all these great closeups of the octopus.

It has a color correction mode for Ocean (blue) and Rivers and Lakes (green) and even has some cool land modes for Night Portrait, Night Scene, Fireworks, Candlelight, Sunset, Sunrise, Splashing Water, Flowing Water, Snow....

And it's not like I have $$$ to just throw around, but for $499 (less 10% for forum members?) and no S/H or tax??? I cannot complain. Well, I could.. but it would just be for show :D

DougNR
07-31-2008, 11:12
Congrats on your new toy!

I've been debating the same purchase since ST got them in stock. Please keep us up to date on your transition to the new camera and of course some of the results. A new user review would be great!

Have fun.

Doug

maggs_the
07-31-2008, 11:26
yeah, the only thing is now if i take bad photos, how am i supposed to blame the camera??? :smiley5:

no, i am excited for my trip (tomorrow nite, we fly out!!) and i am excited to take photos and i am excited to play with my new camera.

my dad never got around to learning to scuba dive, and now he is physically unable. he was my original photographer "teacher" and while he can see more spectactular photos in a professional book, he gets a kick out of seeing it from my point of view... and i get a huge kick out of sharing them with him.

i will be sure to write a review of the DC800 but i warn you.. i am easily impressed and tend to see the bright side more often than not so let this serve as a warning to any who read it, those little tic'y things that may bother you.... probably don't bother me so dont assume they're not there just cause i dont complain about them :D

and my dive buddies also just got a new camera that they are bringing on this same trip so i'll see if i can get them (Athena.. you know YOU will have to be the one to do it) to write a review of their new camera too.

FailedExistence
07-31-2008, 11:49
My wife and I got one of these for our trip to Hawaii ... it took great pictures, but yes our friends got tired of seeing them. :)

crea2k
07-31-2008, 12:05
Have you ever used a DC600 ?, if you have, how does it compare ?, I have a DC600 pro that I bought last year and love it, took some great pics in Egypt with it while being dragged about on an intro dive lol.

BoomerNJ
07-31-2008, 12:35
Did you get any accessories like an external flash or macro lens or just the cam itself? I would be interested to see how it works without all the extras. I can afford the camera, maybe, but not all the extras right away...

Thanks!

C

maggs_the
07-31-2008, 14:15
Have you ever used a DC600 ?, if you have, how does it compare ?, I have a DC600 pro that I bought last year and love it, took some great pics in Egypt with it while being dragged about on an intro dive lol.

never tried the DC600..just the DC300 so i cant offer a comparison. i didnt look at too much detail on the DC600 but the DC800 records SOUND when recording underwater video and i love that!

maggs_the
07-31-2008, 14:18
Did you get any accessories like an external flash or macro lens or just the cam itself? I would be interested to see how it works without all the extras. I can afford the camera, maybe, but not all the extras right away...

Thanks!

C

actually, i just got this yesterday and i've got to leave for a trip tomorrow so i've been sneaking views at the manual as much as i can, but this camera does not use the Wide Angle lens accessory (which I have for my old DC300) because it comes with a function for wide angle zooming without the lens attachment. And i do not think i can get my macro lenses on here either but it has a setting to zoom in for macro shots.

so what i'm thinking is, i may put my DC300 (which still takes great photos by the way... i just am "stimulating the economy" with my upgrade :smiley20: ) and all my extras on here for someone to pick up as a really great first camera.

**** i just uploaded REALLY QUICKLY some of my pics from my DC300 from last year in Roatan for what it's worth****

but short answer to your question, with this camera, i dont think you need accessories... which, it would be nice if they said exactly that on the description. oh, except ALL underwater cameras will advise you to get an external strobe (which i have that too :smiley2: )

DougNR
08-01-2008, 13:54
i will be sure to write a review of the DC800 but i warn you.. i am easily impressed and tend to see the bright side more often than not

Nothing wrong with that!

Have a great triap and bring back lots of pics.

D.

crea2k
08-01-2008, 16:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crea2k http://forum.scubatoys.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.scubatoys.com/gear-information/15842-sea-life-dc800.html#post209183)

never tried the DC600..just the DC300 so i cant offer a comparison. i didnt look at too much detail on the DC600 but the DC800 records SOUND when recording underwater video and i love that!

Yeah the DC600 records sounds too, the video spec is identical on both cameras, but the DC800 has better quality photos and flash etc I think.

kmac
08-02-2008, 09:55
I just ordered one myself for Bonaire in Sept. Be sure to post some pics to see how thay come out or any tricks you find helpfull

Kimba819
08-14-2008, 10:50
I am interested in buying this camera, but I've heard some bad things about it (i.e., battery life, poor quality). Is it worth the $500+, or should I go with something else? I can't really afford to spend more than that on a camera.

Thanks!!

maggs_the
08-14-2008, 15:09
I am pleased with my DC800. I paid nearly $500 for my DC300 4 years ago when you throw in the extra lenses and stuff so for technology to give me more megapixals, underwater sound when i take video and the automatic filters settings for ocean versus lake, i think it is worth the $500.

however, my old DC300 still takes really nice pictures and you can fix the color using photo editors. it doesnt have the controls on the outside of the housing to change from picture taking to video while you're underwater, but it still takes nice photos.

i have some less-than-nice ones from my new camera but that's part of getting used to it. i left the Underwater setting on while i was snorkeling in 3 feet of water and it added back way too much red. that's not the camera's fault. that's mine... those kinds of things.. getting used to it.

and since it's a digital, there is a delay so if you've not used a digital underwater, chances are you will take lots of pictures of fish's tails before you get the hang of where to point before pushing the button.

there really isnt a good clear Yes or No answer to the question of whether it's worth $500 to you. our friends took their brand new Canon G9 with Ikelite housing and it has virtually no shutter delay which would be SWEET but it also cost 3 times as much. and to make matters worse, it didnt work. the housing prevented the lens from coming out so they couldnt take photos underwater for us to compare side by side.

BoomerNJ
08-14-2008, 15:22
Great pics!!! I'm sold! I think I'm going to look into getting myself one. Thanks for the pics & the review!

maggs_the
08-14-2008, 15:57
Great pics!!! I'm sold! I think I'm going to look into getting myself one. Thanks for the pics & the review!

then let me just add... if you buy from Scubatoys, tell them you're a forum member and i think you get 10% discount plus no shipping for orders over $50 if you use UPS ground :smiley36:

and Boomer, thanks :smiley9: compliments are appreciated
(complaints are ignored.. HAHA!!)

BoomerNJ
08-14-2008, 17:31
Oh believe me, I know ALL about Scuba Toys... They're into me for thousands of dollars already! LOL! ;)

srhtech
08-26-2008, 11:27
Did you have a strobe for those pictures? How was the shutter speed on the 800?

maggs_the
08-26-2008, 15:57
Did you have a strobe for those pictures? How was the shutter speed on the 800?

i did NOT have the strobe for those particular photos. i do have the strobe but at the time, i didnt have the flash link so i just left the strobe off. i will be taking the strobe and newly purchased flash link to Cozumel in October and hope to see some significant differences :D

the shutter speed was decent. it is not as fast as say the Canon G9 which has almost no shutter delay and is as close to a point and shoot as you can get with digital. but, for my purposes, i can work with this shutter speed. just hafta aim a little bit in front of any moving targets :)

Souvy
08-26-2008, 22:54
I picked up the DC800 and the digital strobe before a recent trip to Cozumel and I am REALLY impressed with the set up. I moved up from a Canon A570 in an underwater housing and this camera is in a different league altogether in my opinion.

The strobe was a pricey option and I was a bit reticent about going through with it, but I think it was totally worth it. It worked flawlessly and there were no syncing or timing issues at all. I did overexpose most of my photos on the first few dives until I became more used to positioning the strobe and adjusting the brightness.

The only downside is mags_the's concern that I can't blame the camera for bad pictures any more. I know one issue people had with the DC600 was battery life (and one of the reasons that I'm glad I waited for the DC800). I charged the camera each day and was able to get 3 dives out of it. I didn't charge it before the last day of diving and I managed to get 5 dives out of it on one charge, so it looks as though SeaLife addressed any prior battery life issues.

Bottom line, I LOVE it and highly recommend the digital strobe.

maggs_the
08-27-2008, 07:57
[quote=Souvy;220762]

The only downside is mags_the's concern that I can't blame the camera for bad pictures any more.....

quote]

i know, it sucks, don't it?? ha!

but boy am i glad to see you love it too. i know i can be impressed pretty easy so i always am a bit hesitant to give my reviews :smiley9:

best advice i can give on any new camera tho is try it in the pool first. i read my manual and figured it didnt look too hard .. and it wasnt.. but i was too excited and forgot to change to "underwater mode" and then assumed i couldnt and my first round of pics..which included one of the biggest green morays i personally have encountered .. sigh.. they are just way too blue. and somehow, i've lost my ability to color correct on my antique laptop.

but, i recovered from the first mishap and had a fantastic remainder of the week.

i'm looking forward to Cozumel and hope the currents arent so bad that i cannot stop and take pictures :)

427Dave
09-14-2008, 13:57
Has the DC 800 corrected the problem of when using the internal flash, there is a dark corner in the bottom left of the picture. The housing obstructs the flash on my DC 600.

I broke the LCD display on my DC 600. I have 4 batteries for it as battery life isn't the greatest. That is the only problem I would say I have had with it. I bought it when it first came out. I did try some Olympus batteries and they did not seem to last any longer. They where 1000 mahr

so the DC 800 battery life seems to be better and I am wondering if anyone has noticed the dark corner using the internal flash in the housing.

Thanks Dave

maggs_the
09-15-2008, 21:04
Has the DC 800 corrected the problem of when using the internal flash, there is a dark corner in the bottom left of the picture. The housing obstructs the flash on my DC 600.

I broke the LCD display on my DC 600. I have 4 batteries for it as battery life isn't the greatest. That is the only problem I would say I have had with it. I bought it when it first came out. I did try some Olympus batteries and they did not seem to last any longer. They where 1000 mahr

so the DC 800 battery life seems to be better and I am wondering if anyone has noticed the dark corner using the internal flash in the housing.

Thanks Dave

Dave,

I have to say I did not use the flash much so I cannot answer that, but since I bought the flashlink and am going to Cozumel in a couple of weeks, I intend to find out :)

Hopefully, it will be good news!

Karen

DevilDiver
09-16-2008, 07:34

Thanks Dave

Dave,

This problem is not really an issue with the particular camera but a matter of the built in flash being located above the lens and being partially blocked when fired. This would more evident with close up shots where the flash beam did not have time to spread out.

The solution would be to add an external light source. If you are looking to change cameras soon and/or interested in adding a strobe be sure to try to pick a strobe that will compatable with any future camera changes or upgrades.

There should be threads on the forum with lots of opinions and suggestions, good luck........

angeladeeanne
12-31-2008, 09:50
I just ordered the DC800 and I'm SO excited! :-D Except it's out of stock. :-( *waiting patiently*