PDA

View Full Version : OW Class- Tip the Instructor/Divemaster?

trekkindave
07-31-2008, 11:29
Hi everyone,

I am about to go for my open water check outs and was wondering if there is a customary tip for the instructor and DM at the end of the check outs for the help they gave you.. If so. what is appropriate?

Thanks for the Help.

dallasdivergirl
07-31-2008, 11:39
it's good to tip the dive masters, they are generally out there working for free or next to free.

I would check & see if there is anything you can bring to help out....water, cokes, plates... that helps the instructors defer any costs like that they incur.

Foo2
07-31-2008, 11:44
I tipped my DM but not my instructor. I've seen other people say that they tip $10 per tank.

chinacat46
07-31-2008, 11:56
I'm an instructor and I tell my students that the second rule of diving(1st being don't hold your breath) is to tip your divemasters on dive trips. I also tell them that doesn't apply to training. If you want to buy them a beer after class though I wouldn't turn it down.

gregor
07-31-2008, 11:56
When working classes, as a DM, i never expected a tip, even though i wasn't getting paid for the time i was working, i just didn't think any tip was expected from the customer. I really don't think it's a "mandatory" kind of thing, like you'd see on a dive boat. If you are in an OW class and the DM goes "above and beyond" then sure a tip would be greatly appreciated.

sravin1
07-31-2008, 12:00
I'm an instructor and I tell my students that the second rule of diving(1st being don't hold your breath) is to tip your divemasters on dive trips. I also tell them that doesn't apply to training. If you want to buy them a beer after class though I wouldn't turn it down.

I totally agree. I dont like to tip people that teach me. I feel like I am insulting them with the tip. but thats my opinion...

bassplayer
07-31-2008, 12:08
I totally agree. I dont like to tip people that teach me. I feel like I am insulting them with the tip. but thats my opinion...

Yes I also agree. I always tip the DM when on a day charter, but it never even occurred to me to tip the DM's or instructors during my OW check out dives. Sort of like tipping my grade 10 acccounting teacher...:smiley5:

digitalman
07-31-2008, 12:30
My general rule is to tip on a charter, not for a class.

mm_dm
07-31-2008, 12:40
When working classes, as a DM, i never expected a tip, even though i wasn't getting paid for the time i was working, i just didn't think any tip was expected from the customer. I really don't think it's a "mandatory" kind of thing, like you'd see on a dive boat. If you are in an OW class and the DM goes "above and beyond" then sure a tip would be greatly appreciated.

Agreed. I've never been tipped on a OW class and never expected it. The Instructor usually covers any fees, etc since I'm there working for free. I've been tipped on Refreshers and such, but not OW. I don't know any DM's who would argue with you though, if you stuck money or beer in their hand.

ReefHound
07-31-2008, 14:19
As a DM I appreciate tips but do not expect them. I also appreciate a free lunch. I always try to go "above and beyond the call" in helping students, I bring a complete extra set of gear, I'll lug the gear for anyone struggling, and when time permits I offer to do a fun dive with the newly certified class after their final checkout dive.

I've found that people just don't know. If the instructor gives the "tip speech" then nearly everyone tips something at the end. If they don't no one tips. It seems to have nothing to do with how hard you work or how much you help someone. It's all about whether they think it is a "tipping situation".

They just assume we are paid employees of the shop. Of course, most of us are not paid although we may get a small store credit or gear discounts. Entrance to dive sites is free when working and air fills/tanks are provided by the shop. But I also have un-reimbursed expenses. Nobody pays my gas to get there and equipment such as weights and clips often seem to disappear if I don't remember to collect them at the end.

I think $10 per tank is great for a dive charter but way too much for a class. More like $20 max for the entire class (pool and OW).

CompuDude
07-31-2008, 14:24

Agreed.

I never (ok seldom) turn down free money(/food/beer), but it's not expected or customary, for classes.

No one rule applies to the entire world, of course, but that's how it is in our area.

Vegas
07-31-2008, 14:25
..... If you want to buy them a beer after class though I wouldn't turn it down.

That's what we did....found out their favorite, and tipped 'em a six pack

SlvrDragon50
07-31-2008, 14:28
I think tipping for a class is a bit odd.. but for charters

I'd say its good manners, especially if you dive with them again.

Vercingetorix
07-31-2008, 14:33
I tipped DM at OW and DM and TA at AOW. OW DM (Kerry) bought and cooked food for us at his expense. DM and TA drove down from Dallas to Austin (Lake Travis) to help Jeff Walters. I appreciated their help and wanted to say thanks. Was it expected? No. It's the way I was brought up. When people help you, you help back. I also try to pay it forward.

crgjpg
07-31-2008, 15:21
When I did my OW, it was a small class and there was no DM assisiting. It has been the same with my AOW and Rescue Diver classess. Until recently, I was unaware that when they assist in classes that they are not usually paid. Becasue I have never had one assistin with a class, I never really thought about it. I think that I would go the route of beer and a meal. It is nice to share meals together and socialize.

mm_dm
07-31-2008, 15:26
But I also have un-reimbursed expenses. Nobody pays my gas to get there and equipment such as weights and clips often seem to disappear if I don't remember to collect them at the end.

Not to mention the never-ending supply of de-fog many expect us to produce. It's all good...we like what we do.

ReefHound
07-31-2008, 15:38
But I also have un-reimbursed expenses. Nobody pays my gas to get there and equipment such as weights and clips often seem to disappear if I don't remember to collect them at the end.

Not to mention the never-ending supply of de-fog many expect us to produce. It's all good...we like what we do.

And, as Vercing reminded me, I always bring extra water and snacks in case anyone forgot, no one has to sit there thirsty and hungry. And the o-rings, zip ties, and other field repairs. I look at it as part of the teaching - setting an example of being well prepared.

ReefHound
07-31-2008, 15:41
I think tipping for a class is a bit odd.. but for charters

I'd say its good manners, especially if you dive with them again.

I'm just curious. What practical difference do you see between a DM on a charter and a DM in a class? Other than the DM on a charter gets much better diving as a fringe benefit.

SlvrDragon50
07-31-2008, 16:04
Class.. you are learning..

I see it as like tipping a TA...

waytooslow
07-31-2008, 16:08
yep, me and the bud tipped the DM and the TA for OW at CSSP

wow need more acryonms

Foo2
07-31-2008, 16:19
I don't at all think it's odd, weird, or insulting to tip your DM in a class. I think it's common courtesy. Those guys work their butts off and gain nothing but getting to see a smile on your face. Our DM cooked for us and did many other things to ensure that we had a good class. I would have felt odd, weird, or insulting to not show my appreciation in some way. As for the $10/tank thing, I agree that it is steep. That is not what I tipped...frankly if I could have, I would have...but I lacked the cash. The only reason I mentioned it is because I had read it here at one point in the past.

SlvrDragon50
07-31-2008, 16:26
Our charter provided the food and stuff for us.. DM didn't really do much in mine other than pick up fins when boarding, which the captain was also doing.

FailedExistence
07-31-2008, 16:33
We didn't have a DM for our open water class ... we took the instructor out for lunch and drinks afterwards.

Athena2c
07-31-2008, 20:59
We didn't have a DM for my class and I certainly didn't tip the instructor...in truth I didn't think of it, but wouldn't have anyway because he made some REALLY BAD calls on our first check out dives :smiley5:

doccdave
08-11-2008, 09:13
I tipped the unpaid assistant instructor in my recently completed OW class because he was a constant source of information and good advice, both in the water and out. He also supplied an endless source of defog. He argued against taking the tip but I argued that gas is 4 bucks a gallon. I think he appreciated it and it was worth it to me for his help throughout the class.

bottomdweller
08-19-2008, 22:31
My Instructor was my DM for all my training dives.
I did not tip but I did give him $50.00 each day for gas for the trip to the dive site.
Two days 6 dives about 1 1/2 drive each way I don't know how he could make any $$$ without a bit of $$$ for the gas.
He charges $50.00 for a two tank dive if you are already certified and this includes the ride with him to where ever he is going on that weekend & the gas for the boat, plus I have needed a wetsuit, regs, & guages before I got my own stuff. He didn't charge any more to use his stuff!!!

Pretty good LDS

hooligan
08-20-2008, 02:04
Here in Japan, you don't tip for anything. My wife did her OW dives in Hawaii. I dove with her during the checkouts, and I tried tipping the instructor because she basically got private instruction since it was just her and myself on the dives. There were other people on the boat, but they had a DM that took them. Anyway, the Instructor refused my $20 tip. It was kind of a pricy dive op, so maybe they actually paid their employees enough to get by, but i was still surprised to see him turn down my tip. The other thing that may have had an impact on the tipping was that is was the dive op primarily catered to the Japanese tourists, I think her instructor was the only one at the shop that spoke english.

trekkindave
08-20-2008, 08:35
Long story short... i didnt tip the DM on my check ot dives.. no one else who dove did, and there were 4 DMS there.. with only 4 divers being checked out.. It would have be costly.

They did an amazing job, and i offered some very hardy handshakes all around, and made a few friends, but that was about it.