PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from PNG and Fiji

thesmoothdome
07-31-2008, 12:30
Still haven't completed my trip report, but I did manage to post 300+ picture on flickr. Some are finished products, but most are untouched at the moment.

I'd welcome constructive critism of the U/W shots as well as tips for improving them through photoshop.

There are lots of shots of various villagers in PNG. Most are just untouched snapshots I promised to send to the villagers. No need to comment on these. I know they'resnapshots :). Everyone wanted to see themselves though, so I spent a lot of time shooting the snaps.

For the moment, I've restricted access to a few pictures from a Sing Sing that we attended. The girls dressed "traditionally" and I'm having trouble deciding if these pictures should be displayed. Obviously, the folks in PNG didn't have any issues, but I guess my western conservatism is causing me some issues. Your thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

Flickr: thesmoothdome's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thesmoothdome)

Enjoy (and please be kind...but critical).

digitalman
07-31-2008, 12:34
Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

unclepooty
07-31-2008, 12:37
Great shots! thanks

mchain
07-31-2008, 12:43
Very nice images there, I really enjoyed looking at them. Thanks for sharing!

JCAT
07-31-2008, 13:41
Pictures are well done, like the morays.

whats your shooting rig?

roofless
07-31-2008, 13:48
Pictures are well done, like the morays.

whats your shooting rig?

Flickr: Camera Finder: Canon: EOS Digital Rebel XTi (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_digital_rebel_xti/)

Flickr, in it's awesomeness, list the camera type next to the photo. I'd like them to expound on the rest of the rig though for sure. Perhaps even sell it to me at a discount.

Jenn
07-31-2008, 14:03
Awesome pics great job. That is a nice camera you have there takes great pics. Looks like you had a great dive trip. :smiley20:

Travelnsj
07-31-2008, 15:08
I like those guys in their Stormtrooper helmets....LOL.....Great shots of those woebegone sharks....Overall great Photos. What is your setup?

ertechsg
07-31-2008, 15:22
Nice shots! :smiley32: Now I'm not sure I like you anymore:smiley36: may need to send COMPUDUDE over to cut your air hose. But those are awsome pics

TRACI
07-31-2008, 16:02
Very nice shots, thanks for sharing.

thesmoothdome
07-31-2008, 16:11
I like those guys in their Stormtrooper helmets....LOL.....Great shots of those woebegone sharks....Overall great Photos. What is your setup?

Bah! They'll be the new rage in PNG...just you wait. Next time you're there, everyone will have one!

Everything, above and below was shot using my Canon Rebel XTi. Most of the above water shots were taken with a Canon 28-135mm IS USMII. I picked it up as a walk around and the image stabilzation definately helped a ton.

Below water I have the following:

Ikelite Housing
2 Ikelite DS125 Strobes (standard 1" arms)
Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye for the CFWA
8" dome port (newly scratched)
Canon 100mm Macro lens
6" manual focus flat port

It's the first time I've used the rig and the first time I've shot a D-SLR underwater. Not as easy as I was hoping. I shot about 4000 pictures over the course of the month and had the Tokina on for most of Fiji even though the visibility was too poor for it. We saw a hammerhead the first day out and I was bound and determined to get a picture of one before I left Fiji. Never did and wasted a lot of opportunities to be shooting macro. Oh well.

greenmoray
08-02-2008, 01:36
Very nice U/W shots.