PDA

View Full Version : computer problems ( not diving related) long

xring
07-31-2008, 13:07
In May of 2007 I purchased a Hewlett Packard Notebook computer as a graduation present for my daughter. It was purchased to assist her in her college studies. I chose HP because of a good experience with a previous laptop purchase and the quality that machine exhibited.

By January of 2008 my daughter’s HP pavilion 2500 started making an intermittent noise. By April it was locking up and by May it was dead.

I purchased an extended warranty from HP that was in effect when the HP pavilion 2500 failed. We sent in the computer and were told it would be a few weeks.

Since that time my daughter has received numerous calls and emails telling her that her machine repair will be delayed and giving her a new date of return. All of the delays have been accurate; none of the promised delivery times have held the slightest bit of truth.

Today July, 30, 2008 I called the HP support line. After a long involved automated questioning period I finally was connected to an HP customer service representative. This man said his name was Sean but his accent sounded like he was a resident of India.
I know that HP & others use Indian call centers to reduce cost and increase the company profits. I wouldn’t care but it prevents me from talking to the people actually responsible for the repair & return of my property.

Sean informed me that the HP pavilion 2500 series had a major problem and was recalled. This is why it is taking so long. I asked him why I wasn’t informed of the recall he responded that it was on the website and I should have looked for it. I can’t understand how a company that sends me countless advertising e-mails can’t send me a recall notice, unless they were hoping to get past the warranty period without correcting a known fault.

I am not surprised that another quality company is now selling cheap imported products that have their name on them. People will stop thinking of HP as the company that made that great HP, laser jet II printer and now sells inferior products & supports them with worse customer service.

I have a second daughter that will need a computer for college this year. I will need to do some research as to what is the most reliable machine for her. I have completed my research for the company that makes poor quality equipment and backs it with worse customer service that honor is the property of Hewlett Packard.

Thanks for letting me rant. I will most likely need to purchase another laptop to replace this piece of junk HP if you have had a good experience with another brand let me know.

xring (name changed for this site)

PS: I will be sending this to 10 friends and associates each day until I use all my contacts. Feel free to forward this to your contacts as well so they don’t make the same mistake “trusting Hewlett Packard” that I did.

mchain
07-31-2008, 13:23
When I had a HP I also had lots of Problems and frequently had to ship it back for service. They were good for me about getting it back to me promptly but I got tired of having to send it!

Skuttle
07-31-2008, 13:30
I bought my son a Dell. Great customer service! The following year, got my husband a dell laptop. Both the desk top and laptop run great, were easy to upgrade and the customer service was excellent.

Skred
07-31-2008, 13:34
I've been an IT professional for 20 years and have had many experiences with purchasing and supporting different brands/models of hardware. From a quality perspective IMO, there is Dell and then there is everyone else. No contest.

freeski4ever
07-31-2008, 14:17
Get a Mac and you won't regret it. I made the switch from PC to Mac a little over a year ago, and have had zero problems. In the event of something going wrong, you can always go to your local Apple store and they will fix it in-house 90% of the time.

chinacat46
07-31-2008, 14:17
How about some fruit. Maybe an Apple?

CompuDude
07-31-2008, 14:22
In May of 2007 I purchased a Hewlett Packard Notebook computer ...

That was your first mistake. (A common one, so don't feel singled out.)

HP/Compaq's business computers are actually quite good. I prefer Dell's business systems, but won't speak ill of HP's.

HP/Compaq's consumer systems are complete trash. If I won a free one that had twice the specs of my current laptop, I'd sell it and buy something else.

sravin1
07-31-2008, 15:07
"Today July, 30, 2008 I called the HP support line. After a long involved automated questioning period I finally was connected to an HP customer service representative. This man said his name was Sean but his accent sounded like he was a resident of India.
I know that HP & others use Indian call centers to reduce cost and increase the company profits. I wouldn’t care but it prevents me from talking to the people actually responsible for the repair & return of my property. "

I know a lot of people that work in such call centers in india (from there myself). the truth is they have a set of replys for certain questions and cannot go beyond that. also, they are given training to speak in american accent (i sometimes find it funny myself) and are not allowed to reveal their location or identity (although it is pretty obvious). I dont know the reason for that too. The best way to get past them is to tell them as soon as you get one, that you have already spoken with somebody and you need to speak to the manager and insist upon it.

As far as the HP laptops go, they suck. get the lenovo. they last longer. if you are comfortable, buy a mac (they are starting to have some problems now too). I have a lenovo myself and its great. I also have a dell laptop thats 6 years old that refuses to quit. I am hearing from people now that dell laptops (except the latitude models) are loosing quality too.

crea2k
07-31-2008, 15:12
With that comment I have to agree, Im a computer tech and I buy in solely Hp's laptops at work if we need laptops and the business class ones are top notch, not a bad word to say about them but the consumer pavillions seem to be riddled with problems, I used to have a Pavillion dv9288ea, it worked for all of a year up until a month out of its warranty and then the motherboard went on it and the screen died, bearing in mind it wasnt one of the cheap ones it was the highest spec one at the time and cost over a grand (uk £ so nearly $2000), got it fixed at some ridiculous price then got the new one thats out at the mo, the dv9890ea which is also the top Pavilion they make, after having it for a month I discovered the webcam was screwed, updated all the drivers, tried a diff o/s same problem, is like a tv thats not got a signal then it works, then it doesnt again. and the sound card is trash, it crackles and the wireless is always dropping, so when I get back from Florida its going back to H.P to sort out as its only about 2 months old. :smiley5:

mitsuguy
07-31-2008, 15:16
I guess I have a little different strategy when it comes to purchasing a laptop... I recently (6 months ago) purchased a decently quick Compaq laptop knowing full and well there might just be a problem with it in the future...

For me though, I'd rather get a good deal in the beginning, hope it lasts, and if I can get a years use out of it, I'll be happy... the way computers are advancing, even to this day, even the most expensive laptop out now will be one of the cheapest ones you can buy in 6 months...

The ****ty part about it is that it doesn't matter which brand laptop you buy, they always have more problems than a desktop, and are abused a whole lot more... because I only spent $500 on this one, if I break it on accident, or whatever, I won't hate myself...

Black-Gorrilla
07-31-2008, 15:23
my mac is my best friend :)
nothing better to me... for work or play

harb99
07-31-2008, 15:37
I prefer Dell's business systems

Yeah - I think a Dell is also one of the better ways to go - we use Dell's at work and they seem to hold up pretty well

I am not an Apple fan, but others speak very highly of them - they are a bit more pricey

SlvrDragon50
07-31-2008, 16:37
Heh.. My dad spent 3-4k on his Lenovo...

Apples are nice, but not for games. Work, then yes.

Sasha_K
07-31-2008, 16:42
I have great experience with both Dell and Toshiba notebooks I purchased. Also, look for Dell customer service blog - they are #1 in industry

hooligan
07-31-2008, 19:50
I have had 2 IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads. Both were rock solid. The first one I picked up used and lasted about 2 and half years. The only thing I had to replace was the power adapter, but that is to be expected when plugging/unplugging 20 times a day. My current ThinkPad is 2 years old now and still running strong. I just upgraded to 3gb total of ram, and it still runs great. The power adapter is starting wear out on that one too, but like I said, plugging/unplugging takes its toll after 2 years. I bought the extended/accidental damage warranty, and that has already paid for itself. The computer was sitting on my table and I got up real quick to get something and tripped on the cord. The laptop went flying and landed on the floor. Had a whole row of stuck pixels on the screen but no other damage. I called IBM/Lenovo and they sent me a next day air box for the computer. I think maybe 5 days later it was back with a new screen. My older ThinkPad had also survived an entire pint of beer being spilled on it. I thought for sure it was going to die, but I shut it down and let all the beer dry out. Turned on the next day no problems, other than that it smelled like a day old party ;).

Grizbear98
07-31-2008, 20:29
I have an IBM thinkpad, and its decent. It only has a gig of ram on it, 60 GB hard drive, but I had no choice, its on lease from school and we have to take them. The 1 gb of ram works fine for the XP that's on it, but it could definitely be faster. I'm getting a new one in 20 days when I go back to school under the lease program, and its a much better T series with 2 GB of ram and a NIVDA graphics card. I use this thing every day, almost all day, and it takes a BEATING. I work at an electronics store and I sell computers, and if it wasn't a Lenovo, I would buy a Toshiba. My dad has had a Toshiba for years now and its still going.

Sansho
07-31-2008, 21:11
My son needed a mac Powerbook specifically for his college program, and a few months later my daughters Dell went belly up, so we got her a mac also. Well, I decided I'd better get a mac since I'm the family tech support. The hardware and software has been so trouble free, we pulled the plug on the last windows computer and replaced it with a mac for my wife.

The slogan 'it just works' is very true. Haven't had any application issues, and compared to Windows, there really is no comparison ... OS X, the mac operating system, makes Windows seem crude by comparison. Knowing what I know now, if I was to buy a computer for anyone in the family, it would be a mac, no question. I would recommend the same for you.

Defman
07-31-2008, 21:23
I had an unpleasant experience with a Compaq laptop (before bought by HP) many years ago, eventually resulted in the replacement by Compaq with different model that was promptly sold while still new-in-the-box. Very frustrating experience. Laptop would be returned to me claiming that they were unable to replicate the fault, however the Windows Event Log proved otherwise.

I will offer another vote of support for the Dell product, both personally and professionally. The Lenovo (formerly IBM) Thinkpad has also proven itself to be a very solid product.

Trey9123
07-31-2008, 21:56
My dad bought a new Dell back in 1996. The machine he got was bad, and he got jerked around by one of their customer service reps when he called and basically told that the machine was fine it was user error in setting it up...my dad is an engineer. He ended up sending a nasty e-mail with the service reps name in it to their customer service office. A couple of hours later he got a phone call which went something like this. "Hello, this is Michael Dell, I just got your e-mail forwarded up to me. I am so sorry that our service rep treated you this way it is not company policy and he has been let go. The regional manager for your area is on his way over to you house to help you with your problems and replace any of our defective equipment. Here is my personal number, please call me when this issue has been resolved. Again I am sorry and I hope that this will not dissuade you from doing business with us again at some point in the future." About an hour later a middle aged guy in a suit showed up, confirmed that the computer was faulty, took it, and returned with a new one and set it up that night. Now I know that Dell has gotten bigger since then and this would probably not happen today, but that impressed the hell out of me and we have always bought Dells since and have been nothing but happy with them.

digitalman
07-31-2008, 23:41
I've been in IT for many years. It seems that no matter what you have, Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, MAC, or home brew, electronics are electronics. Any moving part (hard drive, fans) will fail eventually. Depending on what that part is, a small failure can soon lead to a much larger one (fan on processor goes bad=overheated processor=dead processor and/or motherboard). I have a hardware engineering degree, so I've seen my share of static, burned out motors, etc. Laptops are basically the same as desktops, but with smaller (seemingly flimsier) components. You don't typically drop your desktop, use it outside in the humidity, spill soda inside it (not counting the keyboard), or leave it in your car in the summer. Laptops, however, see it all. Treat a laptop like a desktop (not removing cables 5 times a day, and leave it on a desk/docking station) and it will last almost as long as a desktop. However, we don't buy laptops to use them as desktops, therefore, problems occur.

medic001918
08-01-2008, 00:41
After having horrible experiences with Dell and short life with HP's...I made the change to Mac's. Between my wife and I, we have three and they work fantastic. We have a 20" iMac and two 17" MacBook Pro's. Their customer support is fantastic, and the computers really do just work.

We have no regrets and have no plans to get a Windows based machine again any time soon.

Shane

NeveSSL
08-01-2008, 04:52
Sweet. :)

I plan on getting one to use as a studio machine and maybe one for the guest bedroom eventually. But PCs are a mainstay for me. :)

Brandon

crea2k
08-01-2008, 04:59
Macs are evil, evil I say ! :D

dogseatmayo
08-01-2008, 15:17
right now i'm on a dell xps. i had been a long time dell user and finally decided I might as well just get a really nice one. the only bad part about dell is that the customer service people dont even speak english

NeveSSL
08-01-2008, 21:09
Hey! I worked at Dell! And I speak English!

But you had to pay extra to talk to me. Not because I'm special, but because I'm more expensive! :smilie39:

Brandon

freeski4ever
08-01-2008, 21:41
Hey! I worked at Dell! And I speak English!

But you had to pay extra to talk to me. Not because I'm special, but because I'm more expensive! :smilie39:

Brandon

When I was 18, I worked at a call center that had a contract with Dell. We were in charge of tech support and spare parts sales. I left the call center after a few months because I couldn't stand answering phones, and no more than 2 months later, the company lost their contract with Dell, because Dell had decided to "outsource overseas".

Just for grins, I tried calling Dell Spare Parts after the switch, and was not the least bit surprised when "Tom" answered the phone, but only spoke Hindi!!!! I guess it really is true, India is the customer service hub of the world!!!

NeveSSL
08-01-2008, 22:45
I actually worked for Dell in Nashville. :) I really enjoyed it to be honest. I like being on the phones. I was in Dell On Call (which has since been moved to Canada) and did pay per incident software support. :)

I do have to say, though, I've used support in India that was just as qualified as anyone here (as far as certs and help) when calling Microshaft about Winbloz. :)

Brandon

Brandon

Mtrewyn
08-01-2008, 23:10
I've been in IT for many years. It seems that no matter what you have, Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, MAC, or home brew, electronics are electronics. Any moving part (hard drive, fans) will fail eventually. Depending on what that part is, a small failure can soon lead to a much larger one (fan on processor goes bad=overheated processor=dead processor and/or motherboard). I have a hardware engineering degree, so I've seen my share of static, burned out motors, etc. Laptops are basically the same as desktops, but with smaller (seemingly flimsier) components. You don't typically drop your desktop, use it outside in the humidity, spill soda inside it (not counting the keyboard), or leave it in your car in the summer. Laptops, however, see it all. Treat a laptop like a desktop (not removing cables 5 times a day, and leave it on a desk/docking station) and it will last almost as long as a desktop. However, we don't buy laptops to use them as desktops, therefore, problems occur.

This is my thought on lap tops.

I consulted with several IT people and I setteld on a HP... before I get flamed...I bought the 3 year "oh $hit" warranty from the large chain store that I bought it from, had it for a year and it has needed a couple of things, but I never been without more that over night. It has a full replacement for what ever I can do to it, for 3 years, I have never had a computer be "usable", without having to do a few hundred dollars of upgrades, for 3 years, so if I have to replace it after 3 years, I probably need to anyway.

xring
08-03-2008, 20:41
After waiting the over 2 months to allow them to do the right thing I started an email awareness campaign. This forum was a small part of my crusade. I kept HP aware of the amount of E-mail replies and web page views I had but did not tell them where I posted or who I e-mailed. On Friday Fed Ex tried to deliver the computer. Saturday we went to fed-ex & got it. Seems to work but they did not send a new AC power supply & the one we had was toast. Computer had bad power board & fan. ( that took 2 months? ) Now they say they will turn my case over to a quality assurance manager. Seems like now all I need is a power supply. Needed the manager last week Go Figure. Thanks for the support and feedback now maybe we can talk about diving.

xring

sravin1
08-03-2008, 20:57
interesting. i'll remember to do something like this when i get jacked

thagar
08-07-2008, 18:48
Dude I got a Dell Inspiron for Christmas and haven't had any problems yet.

mrbheagney
08-31-2008, 20:35
Anyone can make mistakes that fact is true indeed, but to really make a mess of it a computers what you need.