PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa Newbie

79Stomper
07-31-2008, 23:27
Hello all. My name is James. Been on the island for a year now and just about to start diving. Any tips before I start. Trying to find a spot in one of the classes on island that will work with my busy schedule but I think I have found something, hopefully it works out. I have never done scuba but have free dove and snorkeled for the past 8 years off and on.

Anywyas, look forward to being active in the community here and out in the water a good bit.

USMCRet
10-17-2008, 21:09
Hi James! Okinawa is a GREAT place to learn to dive. I took my own scuba certification there waaaaaaaaaaay back in 1974. One piece of advice I might offer..... don't do like I did way back then. I learned to dive.... then returned to the states and dropped out of diving for 35 years. :spiny: I have to say that I'm now trying to make up for lost time.... having done over 200 dives in the last two years.... and going from open water certification to Master Scuba Diver Trainer.

Good luck and have a BLAST!

USMCRet

gbrdiver
11-21-2008, 05:45
Any English speaking dive shop anyone can recommend for non-military divers?? I may have a work requirement there next summer.

monant
11-21-2008, 07:29
Don't wait until you leave Okinawa; appreciate right now how awesome of a place you are for diving. I made that mistake when I was stationed in the Azores.

Scuds
07-02-2009, 10:03
Any English speaking dive shop anyone can recommend for non-military divers?? I may have a work requirement there next summer.

I believe Okinawa Diving, Japan - Reef Encounters - Japan's Tropical Dive Paradise with World Class Reefs! We are the only international full service dive shop. (http://www.reefencounters.org) has an english speaking staff.

79Stomper
09-18-2009, 07:57
That is one of the few dive shops off of base with an English speaking staff. I dove with them all this pat week doing my AOW through NAUI. Great people and really accommodating. Did a few dives right there by their shop then did a boat dive to the Keramas to finish up my AOW cert.

Definitely recommend them.