PDA

View Full Version : Scott: Brigade with EZ lock weight system?

greenmoray
07-31-2008, 23:54
I have a Ranger with the velcro weight system instead of the ripcord type, which I am not a big fan of. This was available several years back alongside the ripcord version and has been discontinued since. IMO, the velcro weight system = KISS (keep it short & simple).

Moving on to nowadays and the Brigade (which uses Ranger harness set with the ripcord), will Zeagle consider making the Ranger/Brigade with the new EZ lock weight system similar to the Escape in the near terms?

I really like the Brigade but am turned off by the ripcord system. Any Zeagle insights, Scott? Thanks.

obrules15
08-01-2008, 06:59
You know they have shown that Velcro fails. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the ripcord system. You don't have to touch it unless you dump weights and it is the easiest weight system to dump IMHO. But you could convert your Ranger to a Brigade by switching out the bladder's to an escape bladder that way you wouldn't have to lose your preferred weight system.

Zenagirl
08-01-2008, 07:55
I'm curious, what is it about the ripcord system you don't like?

ScottZeagle
08-01-2008, 08:11
There is no current plan to add the EZ lock weight system to other BCs...but you never know.

Have you actually had the opportunity to try the ripcord system? Once you pull and re-thread it, you will see what a simple and easy system it really is!

There is a video at zeagle.com (in the FAQ section) that shows you how easy it is.

greenmoray
08-01-2008, 15:44
I'm sorry but I don't know how the velcro could fail. My BC is still in perfect shape since day one and is 7 years old now. Zeagle does make high quality products though.

Regarding of buying and combining a new Escape bladder onto my Ranger this idea has crossed my mind once. I am afraid that it might be cost ineffective, e.g. for additional $100 or so I could get a brand new Escape or Brigade. Shall it be the Brigade, then I'd just live with the ripcord system.

You know they have shown that Velcro fails. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the ripcord system. You don't have to touch it unless you dump weights and it is the easiest weight system to dump IMHO. But you could convert your Ranger to a Brigade by switching out the bladder's to an escape bladder that way you wouldn't have to lose your preferred weight system.

greenmoray
08-01-2008, 16:26
I have watched the video and am not impressed with its design, just my opinion. Thanks for your inputs.

There is no current plan to add the EZ lock weight system to other BCs...but you never know.

Have you actually had the opportunity to try the ripcord system? Once you pull and re-thread it, you will see what a simple and easy system it really is!

There is a video at zeagle.com (in the FAQ section) that shows you how easy it is.

thor
08-01-2008, 16:47
One of the reasons that I decided to try a Zeagle is b/c of the ripcord system. I had been diving with a Mares that has the clip in weight pockets, and although the worked well, when the weight pockets were fully loaded, they sometime got stuck and required a very hard yank or multiple yanks to ditch the weights. Plus it was almost impossible to add weights once the BC was on and the pockets were in. It was also extemely hard to put the pockets in after the BC was on. The Zeagle design is nice because you can just drop the weights in, like any other pocket.

obrules15
08-01-2008, 18:27
I'm sorry but I don't know how the velcro could fail. My BC is still in perfect shape since day one and is 7 years old now. Zeagle does make high quality products though.

Regarding of buying and combining a new Escape bladder onto my Ranger this idea has crossed my mind once. I am afraid that it might be cost ineffective, e.g. for additional $100 or so I could get a brand new Escape or Brigade. Shall it be the Brigade, then I'd just live with the ripcord system.

I read an article a couple of years ago that looked at the effectiveness of velcro when it was constantly used and it seems that after time and MANY openings and closing the plastic hooks straighten out and don't hold as strongly. This was investigated when people reported starting to lose their weight pockets on older BC's. I trust the ripcord system because you don't touch the velcro unless you decide to ditch.

greenmoray
08-01-2008, 19:12
It's true from the point of using the ripcord weight system being simple and nice, just drop the weights in and that's it. However, when it comes to real-life usage, which should not happen on a regular basis by the way, how certain are we that it will drop the weights from the pockets during an emergency? I am sure we can unzip the pockets and reached our hands in to verify that the weights have been dropped or not, and if not manually dump them.

And let's say I pulled and tested the cord system after purchase, now it must be reassembled. Don't you think we have to test it again and again to make sure we have perfected the reassembly? That's a PIB to me.

harb99
08-01-2008, 19:40
It's true from the point of using the ripcord weight system being simple and nice, just drop the weights in and that's it. However, when it comes to real-life usage, which should not happen on a regular basis by the way, how certain are we that it will drop the weights from the pockets during an emergency? I am sure we can unzip the pockets and reached our hands in to verify that the weights have been dropped or not, and if not manually dump them.

And let's say I pulled and tested the cord system after purchase, now it must be reassembled. Don't you think we have to test it again and again to make sure we have perfected the reassembly? That's a PIB to me.

you make good point - when my wife and I received our Zeagles (mine a Brigade, hers a Zena) she made it a point to test the ripcord while i was at work and before i could look to see how it was supposed to be threaded back - needless to say it took me all of 5/6 minutes to re-thread it - i then watched the video a day later to make sure I had done it correctly and I had - it is so simple and takes only a minute or 2 to do each side now - we have tested both with weight in a pool and the drops are pretty much instantly.

I have no problem with the velcro/snap style, but my wife tried an Oceanic Hera and literally had problems pulling each side out - she just could not do it without struggling. This was a concern for me - i do not want my wife to struggle if there would be a reason for her to drop her weights - it might add to a bad situation - and when she pulls the ripcord - the whole cable thing comes out :) so i know when she tried pulling the velcro type out she was trying very hard

I think once you thread it once or twice you will not need to practice or test it anymore - it really is very simple

brains
08-01-2008, 20:07
However, when it comes to real-life usage, which should not happen on a regular basis by the way, how certain are we that it will drop the weights from the pockets during an emergency? . . .
That weight system is nearly identical to a three ring release system used in skydiving. I have bet my life on the reliability of that system over 1100 times and had to use it twice. It freakin works! In fact, zeagle's are made in the same city as my skydiving gear, zephrhills:smiley20:

Knowing how your gear works is extremely important. Yeah i'm a newbie to diving, but the same applies to skydiving where i am certainly NOT a newbie. if you don't take the time to learn how your gear works, you shouldn't be using it.

Mtrewyn
08-01-2008, 23:38
Don't judge it before you get your hands on one maybe even dive with it, ans use it for your self, then you'll understand.

greenmoray
08-02-2008, 00:31
I totally agree with the sentiment here.

if you don't take the time to learn how your gear works, you shouldn't be using it.

A gambler I am not, therefore I won't bet my precious life on anything. No matter how reliable it may seem, I have seen skydivers (in the news) don't make to the ground on two feet. :smiley2:

I have bet my life on the reliability of that system over 1100 times and had to use it twice.

Well, Zeagle's rear mount weight system is using Velcro anyway and not any ripcord. It's as simple as 1-2-3. I believe the cord system is safe enough; however extra care and attention should be paid to before dives/dive trips.

crgjpg
08-02-2008, 07:10
I agree that the system is simple and worry free. You use one hand to pull and both sides drop. If you need to just drop more weight into the pocket. Previously to getting a BC with the ripcord system, my wife has had to add weight. To be convenant it was dropped into a pocket. If she had to dump the weight the added weight would not have been dumped. If you dont look at how the ripcord system looks, it probably seems like it would be complex to rethread it. Once I watched the video and actually looked at it, I knew it would not take me long to rethread it. The weight drop from it very easily.

Splitlip
08-02-2008, 07:35
Well, Zeagle's rear mount weight system is using Velcro anyway and not any ripcord. It's as simple as 1-2-3. I believe the cord system is safe enough; however extra care and attention should be paid to before dives/dive trips.

The difference with the trim pockets though, the weights are loaded and unloaded through the zipper portion. The velcro flaps are only used in an emergency.

In the primary pockets, the velcro is "stressed" every time the weights are loaded or unloaded.

Not going either way on this. Certainly your choice.

megzuwo
09-16-2008, 09:51
So I just got my new Zena, and absolutely love it--but like anyone facing a giant red button that says "do not push" I couldn't resist pulling my ripcord, just to see. Then freaked out for about an hour last night trying to rethread it, to no avail. The video on the zeagle.com came just short of rocking my world and helping me out though!

Glad I did it just to see how it works, but JEEZE! I thought I broke my brand new BC before I ever even got to play with it in the water!!!

Besides the overwhelming desire to yank on my ripcords, I love the way these systems are set up. I've rented a BC before with the other weight systems and found either that the pouch was missing, or I had to really push to get it back and had to squish the weight around until it fit in there just right.

And the velcro isn't used enough to really become faulty. I've been renting gear since I got cert. earlier this year and the cumberbunds on these BC's have seen more carribean ocean than I could hope to see during my deployment here and yet the velcro on them are still are incredibly strong.