PDA

View Full Version : San Carlos suggestions

BuzzGA
08-11-2007, 01:34
A group of us stranded divers in the land of S. AZ cactus are looking for an inexpensive but not terrifying to see with the lights on condo in San Carlos. Anybody have any thoughts or leads?

Dive-aholic
08-13-2007, 15:07
I don't know about condos, but when we were living in Tucson and driving to San Carlos, we would stay at the Best Western Hacienda Tetakawi. It ranges anywhere from $50-75/night and has 2 full size beds plus room for a cot. Just avoid the margaritas in the restaurant upstairs.

diversteve
08-13-2007, 16:58
Terrifying as in color scheme or as in condition/critters crawling around?

We went down last fall for the hammerhead migration and stayed at Marina Terra. But we didn't rent from them, we rented from a realtor who rents their condos. Much more affordably than Marina Terra does. I got a 2br, 3 bed/2ba nice unit with everything but a phone for $150/nt.

Nothing in it was more than a few years old. Nicer furnishings, full kitchen, 2 patios etc. My unit was located on the hotel grounds off to the side. And it was very clean - I'm fussy about that. The only thing that didn't work was the hot tub on the patio.

My 4 friends rented a 3br/multi-bath unit actually upstairs in the hotel, I don't think it cost them more than about $40/50 pp. Both of us could use the pools and hotel wi-fi and other amenities. The rental agent's office is right next to the hotel lobby in an office suite. It's Ocean View Realty run by Fred Carter. Here's the link to their properties:

http://www.oceanviewrealtyandrentals.com/rentals/index.html

Fred doesn't do credit cards so you deposit the first day's payment to his bank acct. here and then pay him on arrival. I was a little wary of this until I met Fred. Decent, honest sort.

My unit was A117. I believe my friends were in 302. My unit was a little nicer, I think the condos on that side are newer additions. More permanent residents in my area so it was quiet. It's also across the parking lot from the grocery store.

Another nice thing is that Marina Terra is that it overlooks the marina that all the diveboats leave from. If you dive with Surface Time (http://www.surfacetime.com/) their shop is right next to the hotel. Most of the other diveops are in town so less convenient to pay etc. There's also several good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

BuzzGA
08-14-2007, 23:17
Terrifying as in color scheme or as in condition/critters crawling around?

We went down last fall for the hammerhead migration and stayed at Marina Terra. But we didn't rent from them, we rented from a realtor who rents their condos. Much more affordably than Marina Terra does. I got a 2br, 3 bed/2ba nice unit with everything but a phone for $150/nt.

Nothing in it was more than a few years old. Nicer furnishings, full kitchen, 2 patios etc. My unit was located on the hotel grounds off to the side. And it was very clean - I'm fussy about that. The only thing that didn't work was the hot tub on the patio.

My 4 friends rented a 3br/multi-bath unit actually upstairs in the hotel, I don't think it cost them more than about $40/50 pp. Both of us could use the pools and hotel wi-fi and other amenities. The rental agent's office is right next to the hotel lobby in an office suite. It's Ocean View Realty run by Fred Carter. Here's the link to their properties:

http://www.oceanviewrealtyandrentals.com/rentals/index.html

Fred doesn't do credit cards so you deposit the first day's payment to his bank acct. here and then pay him on arrival. I was a little wary of this until I met Fred. Decent, honest sort.

My unit was A117. I believe my friends were in 302. My unit was a little nicer, I think the condos on that side are newer additions. More permanent residents in my area so it was quiet. It's also across the parking lot from the grocery store.

Another nice thing is that Marina Terra is that it overlooks the marina that all the diveboats leave from. If you dive with Surface Time (http://www.surfacetime.com/) their shop is right next to the hotel. Most of the other diveops are in town so less convenient to pay etc. There's also several good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it all out.