PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle Ranger to Brigade?

emmagee
08-11-2007, 04:29
I've got a Zeagle Ranger LTD that I've had for several years, great BC with no complaints. However, since I am generally traveling with this and don't need the lift capacity it offers, I'm thinking the Brigade might be a better option. It is my understanding that these bladders can easily be switched, is this correct? Other than the size of the bladder, are there any other differences between the Ranger LTD and the Brigade?

Thanks!

ScubaToys Larry
08-11-2007, 07:20
The brigade harness and ranger harness are identical, except the brigade has the extra roll down pocket. For the LTD, there are a few extra d-rings, and the lumbar pad... that's the only difference.

So you could buy a brigade bladder and just toss it on your BC.

emmagee
08-11-2007, 09:54
Thanks for the prompt reply, Larry. I'm sure you guys have the bladders at the shop, how much do they run? I may try to find someone in the opposite position of me and work a trade, but may have the buy on if that doesn't work out.

Thanks again.

namabiru
08-11-2007, 11:22
Kind of an aside, but how exactly did you end up packing your Ranger for travel? The only way I've found is, when my BCD is perfectly dry, to keep minimal air in the bladder and then kind of fold the sides in. Well, not literally fold, but allow them to bend in toward the body.

emmagee
08-11-2007, 11:39
Kind of an aside, but how exactly did you end up packing your Ranger for travel? The only way I've found is, when my BCD is perfectly dry, to keep minimal air in the bladder and then kind of fold the sides in. Well, not literally fold, but allow them to bend in toward the body.

That's pretty much it. I've never had that much trouble packing it, but it would be nice to save some space if possible.

namabiru
08-11-2007, 12:29
So how much smaller is the bladder on the Brigade as compared to the Ranger, anyway?

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 12:31
looks like a nice BCD.

namabiru
08-11-2007, 12:35
(edit won't work, for whatever reason)

Ah, yes, just found my answer in another thread. Brigade = 35 lbs lift, for singles; Ranger = 44 lbs lift, could run doubles.

And I trust it isn't hard to change the bladders... that's a pretty good system. I bet you can get a Brigade bladder for, oh, $150 or so--maybe more?-- and then you have two BCDs. Then when and if you decide to sell, you've got a nice package.

ScubaToys Larry
08-11-2007, 12:46

Ah, yes, just found my answer in another thread. Brigade = 35 lbs lift, for singles; Ranger = 44 lbs lift, could run doubles.

And I trust it isn't hard to change the bladders... that's a pretty good system. I bet you can get a Brigade bladder for, oh, $150 or so--maybe more?-- and then you have two BCDs. Then when and if you decide to sell, you've got a nice package.

Closer to 200 after your discounts... but right in there. And yes, it's pretty easy to change. Maybe 10-15 minutes.

deepdiver47
08-11-2007, 12:51
how much smaller is it? how much less weight?

emmagee
08-11-2007, 13:03

Yeah, I just don't need two BC's, though. I use a BP/W for doubles, so this will only be used for a single 80 and I certainly don't need the 44 lbs. of lift.

Hey Larry, you guys don't have a trade in policy for gently used Ranger bladders do ya? :) :)

namabiru
08-12-2007, 10:58
how much smaller is it? how much less weight?

I am tenatively wondering, though, how much weight you can trim off the BCD with adding a smaller lift capacity bladder. To me, it seems that a lot of the BCD weight comes from the harness system, which wouldn't change, not the bladder.

If you do the time-honored method of holding a Brigade in one hand and a Ranger in the other, is the Brigade noticably lighter than the Ranger?

deepdiver47
08-12-2007, 13:17
Here is what I am getting at. I have a Ranger and love it but I know that haven't nor do I expect to use that much of a bladder as I put 8-10 lbs max in the integrated pouches as I dive 82-84 water with a 1 mm full suit. So I need to think lighter.

I am trying to do a couple things:

1) Get into smaller luggage: I do all of my diving in the Pacific (business trips with diving on the last week). So I am always putting my BCD into a 60 cu ft bag to travel.
I would like to travel with a smaller bag. How much physically smaller is it? 10, 20%, more? I need to get a feel for this.

2) Is it better from a performance standpoint?: It seems to me with a smaller bladder that I should have less resistance in the water. Is there any noticeable difference?

Larry, your probably the best one to answer this for me

Thanks all...Dave

ScubaToys Larry
08-12-2007, 15:28
The ranger bladders are so bulky because they are a bag in a bag. Really, with the brigade bladder, it will take up about as much room as your ranger with no bladder. Picture just the harness in your bag and you're not far off. It's probably about a pound difference, but size difference is pretty substantial.

namabiru
08-12-2007, 17:37
Wow! That really is a difference. I can see why you might be inclined to switch.

deepdiver47
08-12-2007, 19:12
it will take up about as much room as your ranger with no bladder. Picture just the harness in your bag and you're not far off. It's probably about a pound difference.

I'd believe it, if you look at them side by side. Check out the attachment.

In looking at physically replacing it, you unscrew the top valve, unsnap the plastic wing clips on each side and then you slip through the (2) stainless steel slotted clips located on each side (4 total) and she is off.

Am I missing something or is it that easy? Does the escape have dump valves located on the bottom the bladder bottom. 67

MxDiver
08-13-2007, 00:25
Yes it is that easy, and the escape does have the dump valves (2) at the bottom

emmagee
08-21-2007, 01:44
If anyone out there has a Brigade bladder that they would like to swap for a Ranger bladder please shoot me a PM. Thanks!

deepdiver47
08-21-2007, 04:25
nice try, I doubt you will get any takers

emmagee
08-22-2007, 15:03
nice try, I doubt you will get any takers

ya never know, someone may want a larger bladder for their Brigade to make it a Ranger.

namabiru
08-22-2007, 17:21
Emmagee--maybe give DiveMatrix a try as well. http://www.divematrix.com

Are there other sites Emmagee could try, readers? I thought of The Deco Stop, but that's primarily for tech. gear. In fact, that's the gear exchange parameters too.