PDA

View Full Version : BCD Recomendations?

fitch4
08-11-2007, 05:21
I'm looking to get a new BCD, mine is 10+ years old and getting a bit snug. I'm 5' 7", 165bs and dive all warm water with a thin shortie. I'd like weight integrated into it to get rid of my weight belt but other than that am open to suggestions. I'd also prefer not to break the bank on it. What do people recommend?

ScubaToys Larry
08-11-2007, 07:17
You will get a lot of recomendations from jackets to back inflate, and even back plates and wings. I'm a big fan of the zeagle bc's as they have integrated weights, nice pockets, life time warranty, and very comfy!

My favorite is the Zeagle Brigade (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleBrigade).

Judestudio
08-11-2007, 07:30
I'm looking to get a new BCD, mine is 10+ years old and getting a bit snug. I'm 5' 7", 165bs and dive all warm water with a thin shortie. I'd like weight integrated into it to get rid of my weight belt but other than that am open to suggestions. I'd also prefer not to break the bank on it. What do people recommend?
I'd look at the new Zeagle Scout. Packs small and perfect for warm waters! Priced less than $200 with your 10% board discount! I can't think of any BCD with such TOP quality workmanship, materials and customer service at that price anywhere else. It comes with integrated weight pockets and made from 1000 denier fabric, same material they use in the heavy duty BCs.

If you'd like the flexibility to use in colder waters, have a look at the Zeagle Brigade, it has a bit more lift.

creggur
08-11-2007, 08:23
I have to put in another vote for the Zeagle Brigade.. Nice heavy duty straps and D-rings as it is a Ranger harness, but a smaller bladder which is great for travel/warm water diving. Plus what has to be the best weight integration system on the market.. Another nice thing is that since it's Zeagle and modular you can get a custom fit, lifetime warranty, and great customer support from Zeagle. With your ST discount you can get one with rear trim weight pockets for right around $400.00. If you've got that to spend, and like a back-inflate style, you just can't go wrong..

My sig really says it all!!
Good luck on your search..

Zenagirl
08-11-2007, 08:27
I definitely agree and recommend any Zeagle BC wholeheartedly!

Xspect
08-11-2007, 08:47
My wife loves her Oceanic ISLA, I bet the Hera is just as comfortable

Splitlip
08-11-2007, 08:57
You will get a lot of recomendations from jackets to back inflate, and even back plates and wings. I'm a big fan of the zeagle bc's as they have integrated weights, nice pockets, life time warranty, and very comfy!

My favorite is the Zeagle Brigade (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleBrigade).

And their components are modular. You get perfect fit and you won't end up with more air cell than you need.

letsgodiving
08-11-2007, 09:42

You need to shop around, and try a few different BCs on. Scubatoys have some good deals but it is probably better if you try them on elsewhere before buying.

creggur
08-11-2007, 11:07
You need to shop around, and try a few different BCs on. Scubatoys have some good deals but it is probably better if you try them on elsewhere before buying.

While this is solid advice, it's really not totally necassary with ST.. In my experience the guys that you deal with on the phone there are pretty much experts on getting you the right size by taking your measurements, likes/dislikes, and other factors into play... I can't speak for them but I've seen Larry post it here a number of times, if it doesn't fit right they will exchange it no questions asked..

So if you don't have an LDS in your area that carries a BC that you are interested in, or you don't want to use your LDS as a fitting room, the guys at ST are pretty good at getting this stuff right...They haven't missed yet with me or my wife...Good luck on finding the right BC!!

letsgodiving
08-11-2007, 14:58
It depends on your location I suppose. We are in Florida so there are a lot of large scuba dealers. We can pop to Divers Direct or Divers Supply and wander around the store trying stuff on at will.

3rdEye
08-11-2007, 15:21
another vote for zeagle.....i love mine

i have the ranger, but it sounds like the brigade is right up your alley

thesmoothdome
08-11-2007, 15:43

Does the lifetime warranty include shrinking? I swear mine used to fit.

letsgodiving
08-11-2007, 15:47

:smilie39:

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 15:56

:smilie39: nice try, does beer happen to have anything to do with the shrinking?

shari75202
09-15-2007, 02:01
I just purchased a Oceanic Hera at ST, and I LOVE it !!! It's soooo comfortable.

jpep
09-15-2007, 11:02

:smilie39: nice try, does beer happen to have anything to do with the shrinking?

Nah, he probably just needs to loosen the straps!:smiley2:

Charles R
09-15-2007, 11:08

Quote from website So Op can not try anywhere else!

"Only Available Here!!"This is a very special BC... I have been diving Zeagle BC's for years now, and actually own both a Ranger and an Escape. But then again... I own a dive shop. I prefer the Ranger for most diving as I really like the heavy duty chest straps, and the metal D rings. My favorite was really the ranger of a few years ago - which I still dive, as they used to have a real nice roll down pocket on the right hand side. The problem I ran into, is the darn bladder was pretty bulky for traveling... darn thing barely fit in my dive bag - So I also scammed a Zeagle Escape off our walls. I loved the fact the bladder was lighter, and it packed up smaller - but I missed my Heavy Duty harness and Metal D rings... and of course that roll down pocket.

Solution! Mix the two together in a blender and see what comes out!! I pulled the Bladder off the Escape, and put it onto my old Ranger - and Presto!! I had the perfect BC! In fact, I loved it so much, and people diving with me who saw it or tried it thought it was the greatest thing they've seen..

So I called up Zeagle, and told them what I wanted - and they have custom made these BC's just for us. Named the Brigade... It carries a lifetime Zeagle Warranty from the manufacturer, and includes all these features:

Black-Gorrilla
09-15-2007, 11:12
im gonna suggest you try on different bc's in person if possible, even from other divers as well as at a LDS, maybe in the pool if you can... and then choose... cause nothing fits your body like the one that fits YOUR body..

coralcrazed
09-15-2007, 11:24
just tagging along... I too am looking into the brigade and want to see how many people like the thing.

AND... what you have to say, good or bad... I like the fact that it can be adjusted if you lose weight or dare I say gain some?

Kidder
09-15-2007, 11:56
I suggest renting a few to start off with. I dive a Sherwood Avid and like it very much.

GrtLks
09-18-2007, 22:36
Another vote for Zeagle. I dive a Ranger, but at 44 lbs of lift, it tends to be overkill for the tropics.

Mtrewyn
09-19-2007, 00:40
I'm leaning toward the Ranger, but I would like to dive with one first, At least in a pool, so till I can find a LDS that rents one that I can get to relatively easily I'll just rent, only 3-4 weeks left on the season here, than maybe I'll make a dive trip to ST

scubafreak
09-21-2007, 18:06
One word........................................ ZEAGLE

marchand
09-21-2007, 21:40
My vote also goes to Zeagle.

I like the idea behind the brigade; however, I got an escape for $125 so I ain't complaining, although steel D-rings would be nice…

If you want integrated weight Zeagle has the best system on the market.

As for the fit, you can't go wrong with a Zeagle. VERY adjustable.

Earlier someone said that the scout is made of the same nylon as the heavy duty BC's. I don't think that is correct. If I remember correctly, the recreational BC's are made of 1000 nylon and the heavies are made of 1050 "ballistic" nylon. Not sure if those are the correct numbers, but they are made out of different nylons.

Scubakraut
10-08-2007, 10:54
I bought a Zeagle Brigade from ST and am very very happy with it. My requirements were Light weight for travel, don't take too much space in my luggage and durability. The ST Rep recommended it and I've been a happy diver since.... :-)

danielh03
10-08-2007, 13:26
I have said it once, so i will say it again. If your looking to not break the bank, ST has a good deal on the Riptide Zone I. My wife and I both dive one.

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 14:39
Check out the Oceanic Isla/Islander. It's what I dive now, and love it. I'm moving on, but not because it's bad, it's just not what I want for my ongoing move to tech diving.

Danny

pnevai
10-08-2007, 18:10
Zeagle Life time warenty??????????? Heck no! all depends what you consider lifetime.

I have a older zeagle BC who's bladder somehow came undone from the inflator hose. It was never abused. During storage some how the badder and the hose fitting seperated. The hole where the fitting attached is nearly an inch larger than the fitting so I can not figure out how the fitting ever attached to a hole too big. But anyway I called Zeagle and they would replace the bladder for $190.00 under thier so called lifetime warrenty. It is trash right now as far as I am concerned.

I don't know if thier newer stuff holds up better, but my Zeagle never held up well at all, it broke several of the fasteners, faded badly considering that I paid $395.00 for it. I have a seaquest BCD of similar vintage and it still looks almot new. Considering I do take very good care of my equipt.