PDA

View Full Version : Completed AOW

rktman26
08-03-2008, 18:11
I finished AOW yesterday, with a deep dive (max 110 fsw) on the Shurz, and a wreck dive on the USCGC Spar. Next stop, Nitrox.

fisheater
08-03-2008, 18:18
Congrats!

FailedExistence
08-03-2008, 18:30
Congrats ... how was the wreck dive?

snoballz
08-03-2008, 18:55
very cool! Congrats! Did you also get a new Zeagle Brigade?

:smiley16:

Jenn
08-03-2008, 18:57
Awesome Congratulations. I am hoping to do my aow early september. That is if everything goes well.

drako
08-03-2008, 18:59
Im starting my AOW next week in the bahamas. (grand bahama specifically) cant wait

rktman26
08-03-2008, 19:51

The Shurz was pretty cool, even though the visibility was bad (5-10). There was some kind of dead plankton or something in the water that really clouded the vis up. The wreck was covered in fish, I must have seen 15 different lionfish.
It looks like a really cool wreck, I'd never done that dive before. Hopefully, I'll be able to do it again sometime soon.

The other dive, the USCGC Spar, was great, as always. I think this was the third time I dove (dived??) the Spar. It was full of sandtiger sharks. As I made my descent I was horizontal, looking forward. As I got closer to the deck of the ship, I looked down, and I was about three feet directly above a 6 foot shark.

Fortunately, the sharks here are used to divers, and are pretty much like cows and get out of the way.

(Now is when everyone tells me that they're dangerous, wild animals, and I agree. Trust me, as soon as I realized how close I was, I got out of ITS way).

Anyway, the dives were great, looking forward to doing more!!

rktman26
08-03-2008, 19:52
very cool! Congrats! Did you also get a new Zeagle Brigade?

:smiley16:

I ordered it, it should get here Tuesday.

Duckydiver
08-03-2008, 20:02
Congrats. I thought Advanced OW a great time. I am looking foward to the rescue class though.

Vercingetorix
08-03-2008, 20:05
Well done. Onto Rescue then.

FailedExistence
08-03-2008, 20:08

The Shurz was pretty cool, even though the visibility was bad (5-10). There was some kind of dead plankton or something in the water that really clouded the vis up. The wreck was covered in fish, I must have seen 15 different lionfish.
It looks like a really cool wreck, I'd never done that dive before. Hopefully, I'll be able to do it again sometime soon.

The other dive, the USCGC Spar, was great, as always. I think this was the third time I dove (dived??) the Spar. It was full of sandtiger sharks. As I made my descent I was horizontal, looking forward. As I got closer to the deck of the ship, I looked down, and I was about three feet directly above a 6 foot shark.

Fortunately, the sharks here are used to divers, and are pretty much like cows and get out of the way.

(Now is when everyone tells me that they're dangerous, wild animals, and I agree. Trust me, as soon as I realized how close I was, I got out of ITS way).

Sounds like some pretty cool dives. My brother is stationed in NC - I guess I have a reason to pay him a visit! :)

rktman26
08-03-2008, 20:15

Sounds like some pretty cool dives. My brother is stationed in NC - I guess I have a reason to pay him a visit! :)

Where's he stationed? I'm at Cherry Point.

Lulubelle
08-03-2008, 22:37
Congrats rktman! I just finished AOW and Nitrox myself after a crazy 3 days of diving. Sure do like diving Nitrox better on the wrecks, I seem to recover much better. I was on the Spar yesterday too..and the Aeolus. Did you see that big shark on the Spar with the hook dangling on the side of his mouth?..spooky looking.

rktman26
08-04-2008, 06:30
I didn't see one with a hookhanging out of his his mouth, but there sure was a bunch of sharks there, huh? The Spar's a great wreck, always plenty of sharks on it. I think that was the third time I dove it. The Aeolus is good to, all broken up with lots of nooks and crannies.

BoomerNJ
08-04-2008, 07:34
Congrats! I just started AOW this past weekend, doing my first wreck dive next weekend. Can't wait!

mistletoe
08-04-2008, 07:45
Congratulations! I got my AOW under similar circumstances and it was a little scarey. Good job

mm_dm
08-04-2008, 08:01
I finished AOW yesterday, with a deep dive (max 110 fsw) on the Shurz, and a wreck dive on the USCGC Spar. Next stop, Nitrox.

Congratulations! What great way to finish up AOW, with a wreck dive like that one.