PDA

View Full Version : My LDS keeps giving me free takns!!!

Rileybri
08-04-2008, 12:25
SO I just went into my LDS today for drop off a ST72 for hydro. Now mind you this ST72 was given to me my by this very same LDS under the condition that if it passed hydro I would play for if not they would cover it. About 4 weeks ago I got another ST72 from them used with current viz and hydro for $40 full! So this brings me to today. As I was shooting the fecal matter with the DM/DI and doing the little bit of paperwork for the hydro we get to talking about rec doubles and how I was thinking about turning my 72's into rec.dbls. and getting a HP 100 for single tank dives. At this comment my DM/DI says “ya want doubles? Come with me”. We walk to the service area of the shop and he pulls an older set of 1800 c/f al doubles with a functioning J manifold and bands out from behind the counter. HE plops them down in front of me and says “take they are yours.” Granted both tanks need hydro and viz and I don’t have a BP/W yet let alone one that will hold doubles. At the very lest I got a free lawn ornament, at the best I have free functioning doubles set up for relatively little to no cost to me! I have to say my LDS is taking care of me!!!

What do you all think I sould do with them?

bubbletrubble
08-04-2008, 12:53
We walk to the service area of the shop and he pulls an older set of 1800 c/f al doubles with a functioning J manifold and bands out from behind the counter. HE plops them down in front of me and says “take they are yours.”

I apologize for being ignorant. Could you please explain the size/capacity of the doubled up "1800 c/f" aluminum tanks?

If the J manifold is anything like the ones I've heard of on single tanks made up until the 1970s before SPGs were used (with the lever that's flipped at 500psi to allow one to access the reserve air), I would want to change out those valves if possible...or have the lever welded in the fully open position. I heard that some divers inadvertently flipped the lever when gearing up and found that they were out of air at depth. Perhaps changing out the valves would be an option.

Also, how much would a hydro and vis on both tanks cost? $70? Your money might be better spent elsewhere.

Others may have different opinions, but I'd suggest you dive the heck out of your single steel 72...getting super comfortable diving single tanks before advancing to doubles.

It's pretty cool getting stuff for free, though. Sounds like your LDS really likes you. :-)

Rileybri
08-04-2008, 13:04
We walk to the service area of the shop and he pulls an older set of 1800 c/f al doubles with a functioning J manifold and bands out from behind the counter. HE plops them down in front of me and says “take they are yours.”

I apologize for being ignorant. Could you please explain the size/capacity of the doubled up "1800 c/f" aluminum tanks?

If the J manifold is anything like the ones I've heard of on single tanks made up until the 1970s before SPGs were used (with the lever that's flipped at 500psi to allow one to access the reserve air), I would want to change out those valves if possible...or have the lever welded in the fully open position. I heard that some divers inadvertently flipped the lever when gearing up and found that they were out of air at depth. Perhaps changing out the valves would be an option.

Also, how much would a hydro and vis on both tanks cost? $70? Your money might be better spent elsewhere.

Others may have different opinions, but I'd suggest you dive the heck out of your single steel 72...getting super comfortable diving single tanks before advancing to doubles.

It's pretty cool getting stuff for free, though. Sounds like your LDS really likes you. :-)

Well I am in no rush to go out and spend any money on these two tans at the moment. As for the J valve, on e of my ST72's has an older J style valve and works great. I have found no need to weld it or replace it. If need be I can reach behind me to manual check the valve position if I have any issues with it. I took the rig more out of a desire to no squelch there generosity "no I will only accept "good" fre stuff you thank you very much!" As I stated in my OP at the very lest I have a big yellow lawn ornament however I am confident that I will be able to salvage usable pieces of it for other "projects". I am in no rush to go out and dive doubles just something I am interested learning more about. My LDS was more than happy to feed this desire by at the very lest making me look at a dbls set up every time I go to get my gear!
As for the capacity of two 1800 psi tanks, I am not sure? I am not even sure what the original owner used them for?? I will try to post some photos of the set up for your viewing pleasure!

Jenn
08-04-2008, 13:13
:smiley20:Hello that is awesome that your LDS is taking care of you. A free tank is a free tank even if you have to spend alittle money to get it order it is still free tanks that you are getting. When you get the extra cash just change out those valves and have viz and hydro done and you should hopefully be good to go.

Rileybri
08-04-2008, 13:21
Here are two phots of the set up just vor visual refrence! (they were taken with a cellphone so sorry for the poor quality)
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/4/8/8/0/tank_1.jpg

and a close up of the only marking visible on the tank(s) as the indented markingas a painted over.
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/4/8/8/0/tank_2.jpg

Does this give you any new insight to what I have going on with this rig??

awap
08-04-2008, 14:07
They look to be steel, not aluminum. So you may stand a good chance of putting them back in service.

Rileybri
08-04-2008, 14:11
They look to be steel, not aluminum. So you may stand a good chance of putting them back in service.

Now that would be SWEET!!!!!!

navyhmc
08-04-2008, 14:16
For starters, you need a second tank band on those. Having only one puts strain on the manifold. Have fun putting those together after you disassemble for things liike a VIP. Those look like circa 1972 USD aluminum tanks, I can't remember the aluminum blend on those so can't say for sure if they are or are not the previously mentioned 6351 aluminum. For once, someone has a picture of gear that predates me.

But hey, free tank is a free tank. have fun

Rileybri
08-04-2008, 14:25
For starters, you need a second tank band on those. Having only one puts strain on the manifold. Have fun putting those together after you disassemble for things liike a VIP. Those look like circa 1972 USD aluminum tanks, I can't remember the aluminum blend on those so can't say for sure if they are or are not the previously mentioned 6351 aluminum. For once, someone has a picture of gear that predates me.

But hey, free tank is a free tank. have fun

I dont mind selling the tanks for scrap or turning them into a yard weather station.

if tank is wet its raining
if tank is dry is sunny
if tank is white it is snowing
if tank is laying on is side its windy!

The way i see it I got a free set of tank bands!

gregor
08-04-2008, 15:25
That epoxy coating on them could cause some trouble if water gets in between that and the tank you can get some corrosion. As to size, really have no idea without lenght of them, i'd guess somewhere in the 50 cubic foot range. The thing you've got going for you is they have standard sized threads instead of the old school pipe thread valves, so any regular scuba valve will fit them (except for the small valves seen on Pressed Steel HP tanks).

As for getting them hydro'd, take them to a place that tests fire extinguishers, the place by me charges about 15 bucks a tank to hydro them, and this is where most local dive shops bring tanks, so instead of paying the dive shop double that i bring them in myself, then bring to the shop for a vis.

Panmanmatt
08-04-2008, 15:26
I have on of those tanks that a friend gave me. My LDS wouldn't even touch it. He said the steel tanks with that vinyl paint are notorious for rusting under the paint. I would have them looked at before spending any money on them.

divinginn
08-04-2008, 17:42
put a magnet on it if it sticks it is steel if not aluminum. I have j valves 40 years old that are still in service without problems soi I wouldnt worry about them too much.Those stell 72s are one of my favorite tanks for doing easy shallower dives.

bubbletrubble
08-04-2008, 19:12
Well I am in no rush to go out and spend any money on these two tans at the moment. As for the J valve, on e of my ST72's has an older J style valve and works great. I have found no need to weld it or replace it. If need be I can reach behind me to manual check the valve position if I have any issues with it. I took the rig more out of a desire to no squelch there generosity "no I will only accept "good" fre stuff you thank you very much!" As I stated in my OP at the very lest I have a big yellow lawn ornament however I am confident that I will be able to salvage usable pieces of it for other "projects". I am in no rush to go out and dive doubles just something I am interested learning more about. My LDS was more than happy to feed this desire by at the very lest making me look at a dbls set up every time I go to get my gear!
As for the capacity of two 1800 psi tanks, I am not sure? I am not even sure what the original owner used them for?? I will try to post some photos of the set up for your viewing pleasure!

I'm glad that you're comfortable with using the old J-valves. You really can't complain about the price you paid. :-)

Ahhh. "1800 c/f" = 1800 psi = the service pressure. That tank is probably older than I am. I recently passed up an opportunity to buy a LP steel (2250 psi service pressure) tank. The tank was manufactured in the 60s and was in horrible condition on the outside (never got to check inside)...it also needed a hydro and vis. The guy wanted $50 for it. I didn't know what the capacity of the tank was, but it looked to be slightly smaller than the typical AL80. I would be surprised if there was more than 60 cuft of air in the tank. I passed on the offer.

Have fun with your tank collection...

captain
08-04-2008, 21:20
Those are steel 50's. They have a vinyl coating. Some were galvanized under the vinyl and some were not. The vinyl can be removed and if they are not galvanized they can be painted with ZRC Galvalite which is almost as good as galvanize. The ones that were not galvanized will have some rust where the vinyl coating has been scratched. Nothing wrong with the J manifold, I would not replace it. What you have is basicly the same as a 100 cu/ft single. Can't see the original hydro date but probably 1968 and 1973 was the second hydro.

tonka97
08-05-2008, 06:48
Those are steel 50's. They have a vinyl coating. Some were galvanized under the vinyl and some were not. The vinyl can be removed and if they are not galvanized they can be painted with ZRC Galvalite which is almost as good as galvanize. The ones that were not galvanized will have some rust where the vinyl coating has been scratched. Nothing wrong with the J manifold, I would not replace it. What you have is basicly the same as a 100 cu/ft single. Can't see the original hydro date but probably 1968 and 1973 was the second hydro.

Excellent post by the Captain!:smiley20:

Thank you!

Rileybri
08-05-2008, 08:02

I am liking the sounds of this post! So what is involved in stripping the vinyl off of the tank?

captain
08-05-2008, 10:21

I am liking the sounds of this post! So what is involved in stripping the vinyl off of the tank?

Sometime it can be peeled off. A blade scraper will usually get it off but take a while. Using a hair dryer will soften it and may make it easier. I am not sure if any type of paint remover will remove it.

cummings66
08-05-2008, 11:53
In other words, it will take a lot of elbow grease to get it off. A lot. A look inside would be nice to because some of them had linings in them that have started to peel and it may need a tumbling to remove, assuming it can be removed.