PDA

View Full Version : When a Tank Fails Hydro

monant
08-04-2008, 13:24
I haven't had a tank fail a hydro yet but have been wondering of some good uses for one when it does happen.

Rileybri
08-04-2008, 13:26
1) lamp
2) a bell (cut the end off)
3) modern art
4)scrap metal (good $$ in scrap)
5) target practice

:smilie40:

monant
08-04-2008, 13:42
A bell is interesting. I think I'll try it when the time comes.

mike_s
08-04-2008, 16:32
I haven't had a tank fail a hydro yet but have been wondering of some good uses for one when it does happen.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scuba-tank-lamp_small.jpg

pir8
08-04-2008, 16:52
I like the lamp, I already made 1 bell

LRDWILDER
08-04-2008, 17:23
Or as like so many other things, another part of the junk collection gathering dust in the garage?!?!?!

Jenn
08-04-2008, 17:42
Lawn ornament. I like the lamp idea. Havent thought of many other uses.

Vegas
08-04-2008, 17:44
could make a good doorstop -- that door isn't going ANYWHERE!

CompuDude
08-04-2008, 20:01
Recycle for scrap. I have plenty of lamps. But I can always use more beer!

mchain
08-04-2008, 20:11
NO way my wife would let a scuba tank lamp take residence in our house, lol. I think I'm leaning toward scrap.

Rileybri
08-04-2008, 20:15
yard weather station. Just place in your front or back yard and look at it every once in a wile.

when the tank is wet its raining
when the tank is dry its sunny
when the tank is white its snowing
when you cant see the tank it foggy
when it has fallen over its windy

cummings66
08-05-2008, 11:57
That's a good thing to know, yet another ingenious usage for old scuba cylinders.

mike_s
08-05-2008, 15:36
I've heard of wind chimes, but that's a pretty big assortment of bad tanks...

I personally think that a cool thing to make out of it would be a mail box.

put the tank horizontally and cut the top "bell" of it off and mount it on a hinge. mount some kind of clasp to hold it when it swings up. let the valve be the handle to open/close the mailbox. Maybe put a little weather gasket on the inside along the opening to keep out rain.

someting like this

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/Unique20Mailbox-04.jpg

or this...

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/0a27023d-c77d-4f7b-ab2b-cd4cf8e40685.jpg

pir8
08-05-2008, 15:43
Wow, what a great idea, but where to find the hinge?

mike_s
08-05-2008, 16:39
Wow, what a great idea, but where to find the hinge?

well looks like in the above pics they turned the tank around from what I mentioned and put the opening in the boot.

might be easier to seal and hide the hinge in the tank boot, but also might be harder to cut the tank there also as it might be thicker. (dunno as I've never cut a tank, but the cutaways I've seen of them the neck is pretty thick and I would expect the bottom to be also).

monant
08-07-2008, 09:18
Thanks for the pictures and ideas. I like the idea of a bell.

diverdan_51
08-07-2008, 11:18
How about some "bulletproof" table legs for a patio table.........

monant
08-07-2008, 11:54
They would make a very stable table.

mike_s
08-07-2008, 12:02
Thanks for the pictures and ideas. I like the idea of a bell.

can't see an "aluminum bell" having a good ring sound to it.

maybe a steel tank might.

either way you'd have to guess where to cut it off to get the right tone.

andyrent
08-07-2008, 12:05
The mailboxes are Ingenious. I have no idea where you could have one cut.

The lamp is a good idea too. My wife would never let me have a tank as part of the décor.

CompuDude
08-07-2008, 12:49

The lamp is a good idea too. My wife would never let me have a tank as part of the décor.

All you'd need is a good metal blade on your circular saw, some cutting oil, and some patience. :D

loudgonzo
08-07-2008, 13:12

All you'd need is a good metal blade on your circular saw, some cutting oil, and some patience. :D

Bandsaw.

monant
08-07-2008, 13:20
A machine shop could cut it in any way you could want.

CompuDude
08-07-2008, 13:23

Bandsaw.

Sure, but far more people have simple circular saws than bandsaws. If the OP was tool-savvy enough to own a bandsaw, they wouldn't have been wondering how to cut it... they'd have known!

loudgonzo
08-07-2008, 13:29

Bandsaw.

Sure, but far more people have simple circular saws than bandsaws. If the OP was tool-savvy enough to own a bandsaw, they wouldn't have been wondering how to cut it... they'd have known!

Or a hacksaw, and 20 boxes of blades, everyone probably has a hacksaw somewhere in the garage.

divinginn
08-09-2008, 10:56
I like the mailbox idea,now I just need a bad tank.

stairman
08-09-2008, 16:14
The mailbox would hold up well to those cowardly vandals that drive by and hit it with a stick.Unfortunetly it is not certified for use by the postmaster.I built a cool looking house mail box and they left a note telling me to remove it.Might just be our picky mailman who knows.The lamp is cool too.

monant
08-09-2008, 18:31
Now I find myself waiting for a tank to fail!

mike_s
08-14-2008, 14:48

Bandsaw.

the skillsaw would be extremely dangerous.... you're just asking for "blade jump"

you'd need a bandsaw or even a reciporating saw would work if you had a long enough blade. the only problem with that saw would be starting the cut and blade wobble.

MSilvia
08-14-2008, 15:36
RileyBri and I hit on another great use... turn it into a grill! If you had condemned doubles, you could even find a way to conceal a propane bottle in one, and grill on the other.

mike_s
08-15-2008, 10:03
RileyBri and I hit on another great use... turn it into a grill! If you had condemned doubles, you could even find a way to conceal a propane bottle in one, and grill on the other.

A grill? I'd like to see pics of that.

But I really don't see how it'd be much of a usefull grill other than a neat converstation piece.

I mean the outside diameter of the tank is 7.25 inches. The inside just under 7 inches. So that lets you do what, grill one row of hamburgers?

I saw pics of some hanging as wind chimes once... wish I could find that to post.

Black-Gorrilla
08-15-2008, 10:30
whats an al80 worth at a scrap yard?

i'd like to see some scuba tank wind chimes... like 6 or 7 different size tanks just hanging in the yard...

MSilvia
08-15-2008, 10:52
But I really don't see how it'd be much of a usefull grill other than a neat converstation piece. I mean the outside diameter of the tank is 7.25 inches. The inside just under 7 inches. So that lets you do what, grill one row of hamburgers?
It would be a conversation piece more than anything, but I never really had hamburgers in mind. I was thinking more about grilling a few lobsters, or maybe a stripped bass filet. In any case, it's not intended to out-perform a quality backyard grill, so much as be a fun novelty grill for post-dive tailgating.

Gombessa
08-15-2008, 11:11
I think you should fill it with meat, bones, and a few scraps of clothing and roll it down a street in your neighborhood. Then keep your eyes on the local news.

Wait, was that overly disturbing and thread-killing? Flower pot. That's what I would do with it-make it into a flower pot. Filled with meat.

mike_s
08-15-2008, 12:04
you could cut the top off and put it on a similar sized aquarium

http://www.geekalerts.com/u/scuba-tank-aquarium.jpg

loudgonzo
08-15-2008, 12:15
you could cut the top off and put it on a similar sized aquarium

http://www.geekalerts.com/u/scuba-tank-aquarium.jpg

now this is pretty cool...

Rileybri
08-15-2008, 12:59
But I really don't see how it'd be much of a usefull grill other than a neat converstation piece. I mean the outside diameter of the tank is 7.25 inches. The inside just under 7 inches. So that lets you do what, grill one row of hamburgers?
It would be a conversation piece more than anything, but I never really had hamburgers in mind. I was thinking more about grilling a few lobsters, or maybe a stripped bass filet. In any case, it's not intended to out-perform a quality backyard grill, so much as be a fun novelty grill for post-dive tailgating.

Actually after taking some measurements its not much smaller than a standard Colman 2 burner grill. I just spoke to a friend who works in a metal fab shop and told him about the idea. He loved it. I took some photos of the current rig and sent them over to him. It looks like this will make a nice winter project for us. I will post pics as we make progress with the project!

monant
08-15-2008, 13:12

Actually after taking some measurements its not much smaller than a standard Colman 2 burner grill. I just spoke to a friend who works in a metal fab shop and told him about the idea. He loved it. I took some photos of the current rig and sent them over to him. It looks like this will make a nice winter project for us. I will post pics as we make progress with the project!

If you can get a good supply of tanks, you may be able to sell them.

MSilvia
08-15-2008, 13:21
It looks like this will make a nice winter project for us. I will post pics as we make progress with the project!
Awesome!

mike_s
08-15-2008, 13:51
I guess you can make a grill out of just about anything....

http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/grills_for_real_men_7sfw.jpg

MSilvia
08-15-2008, 14:07
I guess you can make a grill out of just about anything....

Heck, that's nothing... http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/20_rubmobile1_lg.jpg

Rileybri
08-15-2008, 15:39

The Thought had crossed my mind! we will see what is "actually" involved with making the frist one. The we can move on to commercial applications.:smiley2:

monant
08-27-2008, 08:00

The Thought had crossed my mind! we will see what is "actually" involved with making the frist one. The we can move on to commercial applications.:smiley2:

Any luck with the grill yet?

Rileybri
08-27-2008, 08:27
We are still in the planning stages but yas it going. It definatly will not be a fast process though, as my extra money is going towards functional scuba gear! I would say it will be ready for steak by the spring! I will post photos as we make progress....

warscout2
08-28-2008, 03:22
i pretty sure a sawzall with a good blade could make short work of it

Webfeet
09-06-2008, 17:15
i cut the top of a Luxfer 80 (6351) with a Sawzall (metal cutting blade) Drill a whole to start and then use the Sawzall. The sidewall on these tanks are 5/8's. Go slow and straight and you will have a nice cut. You don't need any cutting fluid.

Makes a nice garbage can for my 14 year old daughter who got certified last year!!

trekkindave
09-06-2008, 17:23
I would love to see a picture of a bell or even a video of a bell so i could hear what it sounds like... this seems like a great idea..