PDA

View Full Version : Faber Tanks

crgjpg
08-05-2008, 08:25
I am looking to purchase tanks. I have been looking at steal tanks. I have noticed that with the exception of Faber tanks, the other manufacuters seem to be priced almost the same. The Faber seems to be much cheaper. Is there a reason?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
08-05-2008, 08:30
Don't know if its true, but I hear Worthington enforces price controls on dealers.

CompuDude
08-05-2008, 11:45
Since PST went under, there are really only two remaining players in the steel scuba tank market, Faber and Worthington.

I'm not sure why Faber's tend to be cheaper. Could be volume?

Personally, unless I was diving only fresh water, I'd rather spend the extra to get the hot-dipped galvanized finish of the Worthintons (sold by XS Scuba), so I don't have to worry about rust in salt water.

medic001918
08-05-2008, 11:58
Not sure of why the large cost difference unless the finish costs that much more to do. But I had a couple of sets of Faber tanks and used them for a while without any issues at all.

Shane

character157
08-05-2008, 14:27
A couple of my buddies dive Faber tanks and love them. Faber tanks have been around awhile-Scuba Pro and OMS used to use Fabers with their own labels.

RoyN
08-05-2008, 15:58
Actually I think PST is making a comeback on their tanks so we all can rejoice :D

CompuDude
08-05-2008, 16:21
Actually I think PST is making a comeback on their tanks so we all can rejoice :D

Aside from selling some old stock on eBay and shipping a couple back orders (also old stock), not a single tank has been sold. Even if they do, the new offshore company that bought the NAME of PST has yet to prove themselves capable of making a quality tank.

I'd be happy if they did, but don't hold your breath.

texdiveguy
08-05-2008, 16:40

Aside from selling some old stock on eBay and shipping a couple back orders (also old stock), not a single tank has been sold. Even if they do, the new offshore company that bought the NAME of PST has yet to prove themselves capable of making a quality tank.

I'd be happy if they did, but don't hold your breath.

We can only hope the Korean interest get the act together.....I have always liked the product.

mike_s
08-05-2008, 16:43
The Faber seems to be much cheaper. Is there a reason?

Because the Worthington tanks is a better tank, better finish, and has a better valve.

That and Faber just isn't moving tanks like it should, so it's having to discount them....

The Faber tanks went on sale for the FX100 at Divers Direct again today for $259

FYI.

Note, expect these to be up to a year (on average) into the current hydro, but that's not a big deal as it's such a good price.

Also I suggest you get a good visual done by someone you trust as mine came in filthy.

Blue Steel FX100 Steel Cylinder 3442 PSI at Divers Direct - Scuba gear & equipment online dive catalog! (http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts/ecatalogisapi.dll/Item?Item=44530&Group=128&Template=9990000096000999&desc=Blue%20Steel%20FX100%20Steel%20Cylinder%20344 2%20PSI)

Don't know if its true, but I hear Worthington enforces price controls on dealers.

Pretty much all scuba manufacturers/distributors enforce price controls on dealers. that's nothing new. There used to be two distributors of Worthington Tanks in the US, but now there is only one. (XS Scuba bought the other distributor). So now they control the price without any outside competition.

Faber prices their tanks lower in deals/sales, but the worthington tank has a better finish and doesn't really have to compete as they already have the market.

Your dealer still has plenty of wiggle room to discount the tank. but the issue is that unless you buy them in bulk and can move them, then shipping tanks isn't exactly cheap (cost per tank to ship). And unless you're selling a lot of them locally, then you have to ship them again to customers online. eats into profits.

and since at most LDS's, tanks are "slow movers" and don't have a quick return on sale, it's just not worth it to buy in bulk. especially in todays economy.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the Faber if you can get it on sale and save a few hudred on a set. But if you can't get it on sale, pay the extra few bucks and get the Worthington.

in_cavediver
08-05-2008, 17:21
I'll be blunt. I have Fabers and the older PST hot dipped galvanized. I have heard the speculation about finishes etc but I just haven't seen the problems come to fruition.

To me, either is a good choice.

CompuDude
08-05-2008, 17:39
Christ, Mike, they're having that sale again?

It's a good thing I bought mine time around.

And that I'm broke. Else I'd want to buy another pair!

CompuDude
08-05-2008, 17:39
I'll be blunt. I have Fabers and the older PST hot dipped galvanized. I have heard the speculation about finishes etc but I just haven't seen the problems come to fruition.

Don't you dive 90+% fresh water, though?

(I dive my Fabers in salt, mind you, and haven't had issues, but I still prefer HDG finished Worthingtons)

jbres1
08-05-2008, 17:43
I have some Fabers, and have not had any problems with them either.
I have FX100's LP95's and a FX117. The inside of the tank has a phosphatized internal that is pretty good at preventing any rust.
I just o2 cleaned one of my tanks yesterday, and it looks just like it did last year when I cleaned it.
Jim Breslin

in_cavediver
08-05-2008, 20:20

(I dive my Fabers in salt, mind you, and haven't had issues, but I still prefer HDG finished Worthingtons)

No, its not 90%. Its more like 99% fresh water. In some cases, its like diving in bottled water. (Zephrhills bottles water at Madison Blue Springs which I dove last week)...........

Point taken though.

Splitlip
08-05-2008, 20:40

No, its not 90%. Its more like 99% fresh water. In some cases, its like diving in bottled water. (Zephrhills bottles water at Madison Blue Springs which I dove last week)...........

Point taken though.

Do you happen to have a P-valve in your drysuit?:smiley11:

RoyN
08-06-2008, 02:07
Whatever anybody else say, don't get the M series from Faber. Believe me, 2 was enough to caused to me lose sleep. Thank goodness my friend sold me his PST double HP100. I guess I could rejoice with that. :D

mike_s
08-06-2008, 08:20
The ones I've got are the FX100's. Have two of them used them in the ocean and fresh water for a year and no outside rust.

I did take one of them on a liveaboard last year and had some minor rust on the inside afterwards, but did 6 or 7 other people who had Worthingtons also... but that was due to a compressor putting out moisture....

in_cavediver
08-06-2008, 16:22

Point taken though.

Do you happen to have a P-valve in your drysuit?:smiley11:

I'll never tell - just avoid the lemonade version........

Splitlip
08-06-2008, 20:43
Makes feel better.