PDA

View Full Version : Float & Flag Reccomendations?

crgjpg
08-05-2008, 15:21
I am looking to get a float, flag, and line. Any recommendations on a float? What type of line and holder (reel or something else)? I dont want something overly expensive but willing to spend a bit.

Jenn
08-05-2008, 18:25
I personally like to use the bouy floats and use it with a reel which is convenient because you can clip it on your bc and not have to have something around your arm. I am looking into getting a divers platform as soon I am able to invest 350 for one. They are very nice.

wmspdi
08-05-2008, 18:37
I personally like to use the bouy floats and use it with a reel which is convenient because you can clip it on your bc and not have to have something around your arm.

BAD IDEA to clip the reel to your BC while it is attached to the float. I know a guy who was diving in Lake Erie with his float line clipped to his BC. A recreational boater came by, pulled his dive buoy on board and then took off, dragging the diver through the water until he finally cut the line. Better procedure would be to hold the reel in your hand.

mchain
08-05-2008, 19:32
I personally like to use the bouy floats and use it with a reel which is convenient because you can clip it on your bc and not have to have something around your arm.

BAD IDEA to clip the reel to your BC while it is attached to the float. I know a guy who was diving in Lake Erie with his float line clipped to his BC. A recreational boater came by, pulled his dive buoy on board and then took off, dragging the diver through the water until he finally cut the line. Better procedure would be to hold the reel in your hand.

Holy cow! Talk about a bad day! That would seriously anger me. Grr....

trekkindave
08-05-2008, 19:35
are there self retracting systems that can be hand held so that you dont have line all over the place?

Panmanmatt
08-05-2008, 19:59
I use this float:
Dive Flag Float and Cover with Pole Assembly Kit, Accessories-Signaling Devices, Trident, Dive Flag Float and Cover with Pole Assembly Kit (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DeluxeFloatKit)

with a Dive Rite classic safety reel.

As was mentioned, you should never clip your float to you. Always have it in hand so you can let it go if need be.

Splitlip
08-05-2008, 20:03
I once had my float line hooked by some clown's lower unit.

I had most of my line out while decending and he snagged it like a tail hook catching a wire. I had line and bottom hook kind of draped over my arm as I played the remaining out. It was not attached to me, but when the boat took it, the line and hook somehow wrapped around my wrist.
Very unpleasant being dragged towards the surface until I got loose. Lost my buddy, my boat lost us both. Rough seas, swift current and no surface signaling device. (were not available then AFAIK)
It was one of my Mini Season/opening day misadventures.

hooligan
08-05-2008, 20:06
I know a guy who was diving in Lake Erie with his float line clipped to his BC. A recreational boater came by, pulled his dive buoy on board and then took off, dragging the diver through the water until he finally cut the line.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity, a boat, and a lot of beer.

FishFood
08-05-2008, 20:10
Keep it simple.

Floats & flags are lost from time to time. (or taken... boaters, grrr) The dive flag w/ a styrofoam base is simple and easy.

You want a flag will the least amount of drag as possilble. I don't know if you every plan to dive in current, but that big fancy dive platform would be a workout.

Splitlip
08-05-2008, 20:29
I don't know if you every plan to dive in current, but that big fancy dive platform would be a workout.

I live this pic of Diamond Dave pulling a surface float.

Current is usually much swifter at the surface.

blue37
08-05-2008, 21:25
Reel or Spool?

digitalman
08-05-2008, 22:47
Thanks for the info. I too am looking at floats.

brandon
08-06-2008, 16:06
I'm a big fan of this type - any chance ST has these in the shop, but not on the website?

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5219/aqufd21su8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5219/aqufd21su8.7b2a175dac.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=48&i=aqufd21su8.jpg)

-B

character157
08-06-2008, 19:10
Inflatable Flag-N-Float, Accessories: Floats, ScubaToys, Inflatable Flag-N-Float (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FlagandFloat)

That one looks cool...high vis and a spot for some random gear or a flashlight for those night dives.

trekkindave
08-16-2008, 18:50
I found a hand wind(able) roll of nylon cord at home depot for $3.50. Its 75' long and has a nifty plastic do-hickey with a handle to wind the rope around and to be able to hold onto.. While not using it as a tow rope for the buoy, it can be clipped to the BC with a carabiner.

I found those cheap at Home Depot too.. they are like .99c, but are not "marine" rated and may rust or break occassionally.

Splitlip
08-16-2008, 19:36
Hmm.
Do-hicky...

You might be better off using something proven for it's intended use and pay the extra buck. Just my humble opinion.

(I am unfamiliar with this particular do-hicky, so take my advise with a grain of salt. I am guilty sometimes of being over anxious when it comes to my gear.)

trekkindave
08-16-2008, 19:49
The do-hickey i speak of is a flat line real. Its simular to the line holder for kite string, only bigger.

pir8
08-16-2008, 20:11
I made my own with an inner tube that I wiretied an old Hibachi into the center and attached a flag support to it. Also I use a flat spool and unwrap/wrap line as I need it

Duckydiver
08-16-2008, 20:20
I made my own with an inner tube that I wiretied an old Hibachi into the center and attached a flag support to it. Also I use a flat spool and unwrap/wrap line as I need it

you can also use your float to bbq right after your dive

trekkindave
08-16-2008, 20:23
Thats AWESOME!!!! I want a hibachi dive platform... you can dive down, catch a lobster, come up and cook it... by the time its done and you have eaten it... i guess you can count that as a surface interval.... but do you have to wait 30 mins before swimming if you eat while already in the water?

MSilvia
08-17-2008, 13:48
I use one of these as a reel... I tried a spool once, and believe me when I say you don't want to re-spool the line by hand if you can help it. A reel is much easier, and the ratchet is nice for flag use, as it helps you monitor depth changes as well.
http://www.divebooty.com/prodimages/lg/8915.jpg

ReefHound
08-17-2008, 14:24
I am currently using this inflatable float and flag (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DF67) but I will probably switch to the more compact styrofoam cylinder like the one posted earlier. The one I have works OK but is annoying to have to inflate and catches wind too easily while walking to the site and getting in. It also creates a lot of drag.

I've used finger spools and reels. I hate the hassle of winding up a finger spool. The reel is OK but now I use the item below because it's much larger and easier to handle.

MSilvia
08-18-2008, 10:32
I use the item below because it's much larger and easier to handle.
I can't stand those things myself, but if you must use one consider replacing the line on it with something other than polyproplyne.

The yellow line that comes on those things floats. I once lost a flag and had no idea it was floating away, because the line still went straight to the surface. Of course, the bolt snap probably helps with that.

Rileybri
08-18-2008, 10:56
I use the item below because it's much larger and easier to handle.
I can't stand those things myself, but if you must use one consider replacing the line on it with something other than polyproplyne.

The yellow line that comes on those things floats. I once lost a flag and had no idea it was floating away, because the line still went straight to the surface. Of course, the bolt snap probably helps with that.

Would that be the day at Minot Light when the flag started drifting down current when I was in the safety boat?

MSilvia
08-18-2008, 11:42
Would that be the day at Minot Light when the flag started drifting down current when I was in the safety boat?
Yup... that would be the one. I was solo diving from a sailboat-launched zodiac while spearfishing for dinner, and Bri and our friend Rob had just fired up the outboard to chase "me" when I surfaced next to them with our fish. The flag had slipped the shoddy knot I tied, and had drifted about 100 yards or so.

CompuDude
08-18-2008, 20:31
Yup... that would be the one. I was solo diving from a sailboat-launched zodiac while spearfishing for dinner, and Bri and our friend Rob had just fired up the outboard to chase "me" when I surfaced next to them with our fish. The flag had slipped the shoddy knot I tied, and had drifted about 100 yards or so.

The poly line you had may have had more to do with it than the "shoddy" knot. That stuff is miserably bad at holding knots.

ReefHound
08-18-2008, 21:17
The key is to melt the knot.

Black-Gorrilla
08-19-2008, 00:18
but do you have to wait 30 mins before swimming if you eat while already in the water?

lol... i think thats just to scare the kids...
my brothers instructor ate double cheeseburgers between dives.

Techdiver
08-19-2008, 00:39
I am looking to get a float, flag, and line. Any recommendations on a float? What type of line and holder (reel or something else)? I dont want something overly expensive but willing to spend a bit.

If you use Styrofoam base dive flag which is fine make sure the base can't be pulled under without some resistances and trident makes a reel that has a lever to push to let line out, it makes a nice dive flag reel. What ever you do, don't attach it to any part of you equipment not only can a boater pick it up, but can hit and drag it and it is easy for you to get tangled up in the line.
Common sense is a part of safe diving, be safe I wish you well. :smiley20:

MSilvia
08-19-2008, 07:32
The flag had slipped the shoddy knot I tied, and had drifted about 100 yards or so.

The poly line you had may have had more to do with it than the "shoddy" knot. That stuff is miserably bad at holding knots.
Thanks for the opportunity to save face, but the truth is it was a junk knot, and I should have known better.

I disagree. The right knot, tied properly, shouldn't ever need melting to be secure. Melting, in my experience is most often an insurance policy against fraying, or against the wrong knot coming undone. I switched over to a good bowline knot, and didn't have the problem ever again.

I'm still not happy with the popular method for attaching a boltsnap to gear. Rileybri was bringing his climber's rope skills to bear on that problem when I saw him last, and his solution was MUCH cleaner than the multiple loop and square knot monstrosity I'm accustomed to.

Rileybri
08-19-2008, 11:59
The flag had slipped the shoddy knot I tied, and had drifted about 100 yards or so.

Thanks for the opportunity to save face, but the truth is it was a junk knot, and I should have known better.

I disagree. The right knot, tied properly, shouldn't ever need melting to be secure. Melting, in my experience is most often an insurance policy against fraying, or against the wrong knot coming undone. I switched over to a good bowline knot, and didn't have the problem ever again.

I'm still not happy with the popular method for attaching a boltsnap to gear. Rileybri was bringing his climber's rope skills to bear on that problem when I saw him last, and his solution was MUCH cleaner than the multiple loop and square knot monstrosity I'm accustomed to.

Ya should take a pic or two of that set up. It was basicly the same routing but using two half hitches in aposing directions. Just cleaned things up a bit and hade a more + conection while still being loos enough to cut in an emergency.

Duckydiver
08-25-2008, 15:22
i just got one of these
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5219/aqufd21su8.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)
with a flage of course.
It was the chepest one they had, and looks faily stupid proof.

MSilvia
08-25-2008, 15:32
looks faily stupid proof.
Be careful of entering that arms race... they're making huge improvements in stupid almost daily. ;)

trekkindave
08-25-2008, 17:35
Stupid is as Stupid does... thats what my momma always said.

Looks like a good dive flag marker buoy. I would feel confident diving under it.!! (wink wink):smiley20:

FishFood
08-25-2008, 17:41
Speaking of stupid. here is a tip:

When you tie the line to the float/pole make sure you also tie it through the flag! If not... One gust of wind and your flag is gone.

Skuttle
08-25-2008, 18:20
I saw a really cool setup at the lake on Saturday. It was a inner tube for a tire with a cover that zipped and the flag was on a metal rod. Very strudy I thought.

fire diver
08-25-2008, 19:55
i just got one of these
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5219/aqufd21su8.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)
with a flage of course.
It was the chepest one they had, and looks faily stupid proof.

That's the same type I use. I'm very happy with mine. As for line... I suggest getting a reel. I personally don't like the big "kite" versions, and I have one of those too. You have to use a little common sense with the reel so you don't get tangled, but it's not too hard. Heck, I even figured it out!

Duckydiver
08-25-2008, 21:49
Speaking of stupid. here is a tip:

When you tie the line to the float/pole make sure you also tie it through the flag! If not... One gust of wind and your flag is gone.

That flag pole has a split ring through the pole with a string that secures the flag from blowing away.

Its a good thing you said something and that they put it there. Otherwise I would have lost it for sure.