PDA

View Full Version : Underwater cameras

Jenn
08-05-2008, 19:29
Hello I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on a nice underwater camera for diving? Both video and still pics. I am looking for something that is not to expensive at this point but still takes nice pics.

Sansho
08-05-2008, 20:18
I've order a Canon 870IS with a Canon DC17 underwater case, at a little over $400 total. What I like about the Canon is that it's lens is a wide angle lens, one of the few in that size camera, equivalent to 28mm, which is useful in underwater photography. If you look on Amazon, you'll find many positive comments about the Cannon underwater camera cases. Another nice thing is the camera is a good, small, land camera too.

Now, that combo is good as long as you don't try to take high quality shots in deeper, or real dark, water, as the camera's built in flash has it's limitations. Then you really ought to get an external flash, and that can double the cost of the case/camera, in fact it can push the total package up towards $1,000. I'm going to use the setup above without a flash for a bit.

Trey9123
08-05-2008, 20:38
I have a Reefmaster Mini, It takes decent photos above and below water, and is practically indestructible and also cheap. I like it.

Jenn
08-05-2008, 20:59
Thanks guys I will look into those recommendations. I am looking for a decent camera for the price. I have a nice olympus underwater camera 10 meg pix but it is only rated for 33 feet bummer.

hooligan
08-06-2008, 00:17
I second Canon's line. They make a case for almost all their digicams. You can find a digi you like and then buy the underwater case for it.

crgjpg
08-06-2008, 04:34
You might want to look at the Panasonic DMC-TZ5. I have the DMC-TZ3. It does not have as good of video but the TZ5 has better video.

mistletoe
08-06-2008, 08:40
I have Olympus u870. It's waterproof to ten meters so if my housing leaks camera is still ok. I don't need to worry about it.

Vercingetorix
08-06-2008, 08:45
I have the Canon A620 and housing. This camera shoots both stills and video onto a standard 2 gig SD card.

Video specs:
640x480 @ 30 FPS: 17 minutes
320x240 @ 15 FPS: 33 minutes

Image size is upto 3000x2000; resolution is settable.

All controls are accessible from the housing.

Defman
08-06-2008, 09:09
Thanks guys I will look into those recommendations. I am looking for a decent camera for the price. I have a nice olympus underwater camera 10 meg pix but it is only rated for 33 feet bummer.

If you like the camera you have now, why not look for a better housing for it? I know Olympus offers housings for some of their cameras that go down to 40 meters.
Underwater Housing - Olympus Imaging America Inc. (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_underwater.asp)

Although it might be beyond the budget, you could look at the Ikelite housings too.

FWIW, I have a Sony DSC-W5 in a Sony housing with Bonica Neon XP strobe that I am very happy with.

CompuDude
08-06-2008, 12:03

I agree with Defman... if you already have a camera you like, check to see if there is a housing for it rather than spending more on a second system. Olympus makes housings for many of it's cameras, particularly the ones that are already partially waterproof. If you have the camera I think you have, you're in good shape.

If, however, I'm wrong and there is no housing for your camera, I'd agree that the Canon A series is the way to go. I'd save a few bucks and look at the Canon A series, like the Canon A570is (Under $250). You should be able to get both the camera and the housing for under $400.

I like the SD870is that Sansho recommended also, but that camera has no manual controls whatsoever. If you're ok with that, it makes for a very sweet (and small!) camera package, though, and he's dead on about the wide angle. If you get into it, however, the A series cameras, with manual controls and available add-ons like macro and wide angle adapter lenses, will let you take your photography a lot farther.

IndyDiver
08-06-2008, 12:27
I agree with the above posts. Why buy a camera and a case if you can buy just a case?

BTW, some of Olympus's cameras have waterproof cases available for them but only for the Japanese version of the camera. I have a Stylus 780 and there is no case available in the US for this camera. However, there is one for the u780, which is the Japan version that is physically identical. I got one on Ebay for $205 with shipping.

Also, the underwater mode on the 780 in macro mode takes some great pictures. I also picked up a generic external strobe for it for $250 on Ebay that works fine for my basic needs for vacation pictures. ST sells one similar to it (but a different brand) for $299.