PDA

View Full Version : Midsouth in 2 weeks

violakat03
08-06-2008, 01:26
I'm going to be in the Memphis area the week of the 18th and bored out of my mind while my husband's in training! I'm willing to travel to get to some dive sites (cause there aren't ANY in Memphis) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions within a few hours drive of Memphis and would be willing to buddy up with me.

WestTnDiver
08-13-2008, 19:39
There aren't any dive sites close to Memphis. Most of the time people go to Heber Springs (Greers Ferry Lake) in AR. There was so much rain in the area this spring that the lake is just now getting back to normal levels. The report I heard last week said that the vis is pretty bad 2-5ft. The local dive shop here has been doing Open Water weekends at Martha's Quarry near Nashville and Pelham AL. Most of these sites take 3hrs or more to get to.
The biggest dive shop in town is The Dive Shop. You can call them and see if they know of anyone diving during the time you'll be here. Their number is:
901-763-3483

violakat03
08-18-2008, 06:22
I'll give a shout out to the Dive Shop today and see if they've got anyone planning for anywhere later in the week. Drive times aren't a bother to me, especially if I can find someone to share the gas cost with. Unfortunately, I'm getting over a sinus infection right now so that may scrub my plans completely. At least I brought my gear with me just in case.

BSea
08-18-2008, 10:46
If you can find someone to go, or meet up with, I'd suggest Mermot Springs. It's about 3 hours North of Memphis. You could also call them & ask if they could set you up with another diver. I usually make a trip there each year.

Mermet Springs - Home of 1st Class Diving (http://www.mermetsprings.com/)

violakat03
08-25-2008, 00:17
Well, the remnants of the sinus infection killed all dive plans. Didn't even get in any pool time while I was down there. Oh well.