PDA

View Full Version : Fins/Mask

porsche060
08-11-2007, 14:32
How much is the approx cost for a good fin/mask set?

With my fins I need to buy booties too?

medic001918
08-11-2007, 15:31
The cost varies. It depends on what fits you. With fins, if you go with open heel, you'll need booties as well.

Like everything else, you'll get all kinds of suggestions. I dive a Mares Liquidskin mask and ScubaPro jet fins with spring straps. All told, for the mask, fins and boots...it was probably about $250 or so. You can go cheaper or more expensive.

Shane

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 16:00
maybe not much more than 300 for your basic setup of mask, fins, snorkel, boots and gloves. Also depends on some of the bells and whistles you might want.

ScubaToys Larry
08-11-2007, 16:14
Our best selling setup is a set of Zoom split fins, booties, a semi-dry snorkel, soft strap for the mask, panaromic mask (but you can switch to a different one if you want), it comes with a backpack mesh bag with a dry pocket in it, and some defog. The whole package is $199 before any of your discounts or gift certificates.

Here's a link: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZoomPackage

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 16:31
Our best selling setup is a set of Zoom split fins, booties, a semi-dry snorkel, soft strap for the mask, panaromic mask (but you can switch to a different one if you want), it comes with a backpack mesh bag with a dry pocket in it, and some defog. The whole package is $199 before any of your discounts or gift certificates.

thats sounds like a really good deal.

medic001918
08-11-2007, 17:41

thats sounds like a really good deal.

Definatly sounds like a good deal. I had a set of the zoom split fins and liked them . I just liked the paddles of the Jet's better.

Shane

namabiru
08-12-2007, 11:11
If you are going to do any shore diving, you'll want booties.

Oh, and spring for some spring straps too. You'll love them.

porsche060
08-12-2007, 11:47
Can anyone comment on full foot fins and what exactly they are?

Also what do you guys think of the package? Sounds like a good deal..

thesmoothdome
08-12-2007, 11:58
Can anyone comment on full foot fins and what exactly they are?

Also what do you guys think of the package? Sounds like a good deal..

Full foot fins are rubber molded foot pockets that go around the whole foot, inlcuding the heel area. They should fit fairly snugly so they don't fall off. Because of this, you don't wear any booties. If you're going to be diving in cooler water, you'll want booties though so you'd probably want to lean towards open heel fins.

The Tusa package looks pretty sweet. Considering the fins themselves retail for $140 or so, that's a nice package. I've heard nothing but good things about the fins too.

porsche060
08-12-2007, 12:31
Since the feets get cold first isnt it a good idea to always have booties?

DivingsInMyBlood
08-12-2007, 13:16
open heel fins are the way to go so you can wear the boots to keep your feet warmer and to protect them a little from walking around top side.

namabiru
08-12-2007, 13:19
Mmm... depends on the individual diver, and where you're going. Some people choose to not wear booties. The people I dove with in Okinawa didn't wear booties.

Here's something to consider, though. Even if you dive off a boat, you usually have to climb the ladder to get back up on the boat. You might find that bare feet are more susceptable to slipping on the ladder. That would probably be *my* Waterloo, anyway. Perhaps more athletic types will disagree with me there.

I find that it's hard for me to purchase full-foot fins which will work well, as I wear a 7.5 shoe and usually fins are made in full sizes. So when I buy the next size up (the size down won't let me into the fin), I have trouble with the fin rubbing my foot. Not too enjoyable.

Also, I have to wear a wide-size shoe sometimes, so I've found that open heel fins are a bit wider to accommodate my foot. Granted, that's because you wear a bootie with an open-heel fin, but I still find they're more comfortable.

porsche060
08-12-2007, 15:11
Good to know since I prob need a wide-size too