PDA

View Full Version : gearing up for padi open water

mustang_52
08-06-2008, 18:23
hey guys, im getting reading to sign up to take the OW course but I need to get some gear first. I already have a mask and snorkel. I'll need to get a weight belt and fins, and prolly booties to go with. Any suggestions on what to get?

hooligan
08-06-2008, 18:40
First, where will you be diving? What are the water temps like? If you are going to be diving colder water, you will want an over the ankle bootie. If you are diving in tropical water, you'll want low cut booties. For fins, it all depends on how much you want to spend. You could get some hella expensive Force Fins for $500, or you can get some Mares Quattros for like $75. If you plan on doing moving up to tech/cave diving, Scubapro jets ~$80, or the new Hollis Fins ~$120 are your friend. I would suggest on holding off on purchasing that stuff until you can get it in the water and see what you like.

Panmanmatt
08-06-2008, 18:47
I would suggest on holding off on purchasing that stuff until you can get it in the water and see what you like.

Unfortunately those are required items for the PADI OW course that you must supply.

hooligan
08-06-2008, 19:34
I would suggest on holding off on purchasing that stuff until you can get it in the water and see what you like.

Unfortunately those are required items for the PADI OW course that you must supply.

When I did my PADI Open Water course the shop let us try almost any piece of gear they had in the store during the class. We only had to have our own Mask, Snorkel, Fins for the OW dives, not the pool sessions. Same with the wife when she took hers. Both were at different shops.

georoc01
08-06-2008, 20:03
Same here. My local shop has all of the masks and fins for sale available for trying in the pool before you buy and a discount if you purchase during your pool sessions.

You really want to try before you buy if you can. Otherwise just find something that feels comfortable in the store, realizing you may find yourself replacing them down the road.

Don't worry, we all do that over time. That is why there is the section to buy/sell used gear on the forum.

sravin1
08-06-2008, 20:16
if you need to bring fins, i would suggest you buy open heel fins that can be used in both warm and cold water. you then have to decide on comfort and price range what exactly you want.

roofless
08-06-2008, 20:30
It's good to get things like booties at your LDS (local dive shop - I just recently figured that acronym out) so that you can be fitted properly. I would have never know to get 1-size smaller than my normal shoes size.

Glad I did, otherwise they might slip off when they're wet. (I wear the ankle-high ones, not the zip ups)

ScubaJ
08-06-2008, 20:56
You shouldn't need to buy weights for your OW class.

Some shops may be different, but you usually only need to supply Mask, Snorkel, & fins. I would suggest you try those on and purchase from one of your local dive shops. Doesn't hurt to shop around as the prices can fluctuate quite a bit from one shop to the next. You'll also get different opinions that will help you make your decisions.

thesmoothdome
08-06-2008, 21:31
Mask, snorkel, booties, gloves and fins should be all the "personal gear" you need to provide for the class. Don't stress too much on buying the right snorkel, booties or gloves. You really can't go wrong with anything that fits.

Be sure to try on a bunch of masks and use the sniff test. A good sealing mask will stay on your face without a strap if you breathe in. Make sure it doesn't press against your brow and that you're comfortable with the view.

As for fins, there are lots of good fins out there. The important thing is to get one that isn't too stiff. If you don't have the leg strength for a given fin, you'll cramp up easily and not get any propulsion from the fin.

Jenn
08-06-2008, 21:54
You shouldn't need to buy weights for your OW class.

Some shops may be different, but you usually only need to supply Mask, Snorkel, & fins. I would suggest you try those on and purchase from one of your local dive shops. Doesn't hurt to shop around as the prices can fluctuate quite a bit from one shop to the next. You'll also get different opinions that will help you make your decisions.

Really I needed to get weights and a weight belt for my ow class. Glad that I had already had the mask, fins, and snorkels though. I have to agree def go with open heel fins for diving. Good luck with the ow class.

crgjpg
08-07-2008, 06:42
When I did my OW, I only had to have mask, snorkel, and fins. The LDS gave a discount if purchased them with the class. They also gave a discount if you purchased the rest of your gear within 6 months of the class. I did not get any more than the mask, snorkel, and fins. I thought it wanted to try diffrent makes and models first.

Panmanmatt
08-07-2008, 14:57
When I took my class they required mask, snorkel, fins, hood, boots, gloves, weights and weight belt for the OW class, Only things we didn't need for the pool sessions were hood and gloves.

mustang_52
08-07-2008, 16:57
I'll be taking the open water course at dutch springs so its cold water. I guess ill wait till i get to the pool dives to get fins and what not. Thanks for the advice.

Panmanmatt
08-07-2008, 17:26
When I dove Dutch for my OW class I didn't even wear gloves or a hood. Water wasn't that cold. I would definitely recommend gloves of some sort though as those zebra mussles are sharp as heck on the platforms. Even 1.5mm reef gloves would work to save you from slicing your finger like I did.

diverdan_51
08-07-2008, 21:02
If you're diving in quarries in New Jersey, you'll definitely want to go with at least a 5-mil zip bootie. Also a definite, are open-heeled fins. I prefer split fins (like Tusa X-Pert Zooms) although you can pick up a pair of plain paddle fins fairly cheap.....

dogseatmayo
08-07-2008, 21:15
fins- totally go with open heel. that way you can use them in the tropics and in cold water. you might even go with split fins, but iy's your choice. you should try them out first before you get them.
booties- no reason to go fancy on these. just get a basic pair that fits.

why does your LDS make you have your own weight belt and weights? when i took my ow i didn't need those. I dive with a weight integraded bcd, so i don't use weight belts.

good luck in your ow. have fun

Panmanmatt
08-07-2008, 21:20
why does your LDS make you have your own weight belt and weights? when i took my ow i didn't need those. I dive with a weight integraded bcd, so i don't use weight belts.

good luck in your ow. have fun

Don't know why they did but we had to have them. The BC's we used in class were weight integrated but the LDS wouldn't put the weights in for class. Guess they didn't want folks getting used to them in case the BC they ended up buying wasn't integrated.

thesmoothdome
08-07-2008, 21:31
Guess different areas do it differently. I've never heard of an LDS in San Diego making people purchase weights for an OW course.

OTGav
08-10-2008, 03:29
I'm a bit shocked that any dive shops expect you to buy all this stuff.

Round here most will hire you everything - inc. mask fins. The smart ones hire nice stuff that you want to buy at the end. Weights are pretty much always included in with tank hire too.

I think it's very cheeky to get you to buy belt and lead for OW course - my advice would be to pick another provider that doesn't try and nickle and dime it's students to death before they even get wet.