PDA

View Full Version : Aeris XR1 vs. Genesis Pro Console?

Rebelvis
08-11-2007, 14:42
I've looked at both of these and still don't know enough about either to choose. The AR1 seems to be discounted everywhere and the Genesis costs more, but is it worth it and why?

I don't do any nitrox so I have no need of that. Most of my diving is fresh water under 80'. I ocassionally go to the carribean though.

Thoughts, advice?

Thanks!

cummings66
08-11-2007, 18:14
I'm not sure if you're referring to the Genesis React or Resource. IMO buy a Nitrox computer while you're shopping. It won't cost much more and will save you money in the future when you decide to use Nitrox. Don't discount it. Almost all my buddies scoffed at Nitrox 2 years ago and most of them are diving it now.

ScubaToys Larry
08-12-2007, 02:33
Shhhh... don't tell anyone. Aeris / Oceanic make all the gauges and computers for Genesis/Sherwood. It's just some companies set different pricing plans. Give us a shout and we'll get one with the features you want - and don't worry too much about what name is silk screened on it.

Also keep in mind, you may do nitrox one day, and the nitrox ones will have other features that some air computers may not like download capability, audible alarms, back lights. Really most the companies have stopped making air only computers, as it really doesn't cost much to put in the math for the nitrox mixes. There is plenty of chip power there... In fact, I'd be willing to bet, it's the same chip in both... they just don't hook up the extra button and features for programing. So many times, those other features like the back light, audible, and download capabilities are what is raising the price of the nitrox computers... not just the nitrox.

There... Now are you even more confused? :smiley5:

the gooch
08-12-2007, 04:06
But..........If you are dead set on getting air only, rest assured the XR1 is a stellar unit--I am very happy with mine.