PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh What did I do?

KimkiD
08-07-2008, 08:38
I went diving last night in a local quarry and stayed relatively shallow (between 20 and 10 feet deep) and when I went to 20 from 10 feet I had a little difficulty equalizing my ears but it wasn't that bad.

Today I can hear everything on the inside of my mouth perfectly...its almost amplified. Chewing is painfully loud. Yawning sounds like I am in a wind tunnel. Just opening my mouth causes a series of pops and cracks.

So, what did I do?

ReefHound
08-07-2008, 08:45
I am not a doctor. If the problem persists more than a day or two, see a doctor to make sure everything is OK. I wonder if you could have water inside the eardrum. Sometimes people can perforate the ear drum and not realize it.

Lulubelle
08-07-2008, 08:52
This has happened to me before too. No worries. Get some swimmer's ear drops, use them to try to dry the fluid out. Do got to the doc if it doesn't clear up in a couple of days. Go sooner if you have pain or fever.

Yes, I have some expertise in ears, but since I can't see yours, this is just friendly advice, not medical advice!

wgt
08-07-2008, 09:19
I went diving last night in a local quarry and stayed relatively shallow (between 20 and 10 feet deep) and when I went to 20 from 10 feet I had a little difficulty equalizing my ears but it wasn't that bad.

Today I can hear everything on the inside of my mouth perfectly...its almost amplified. Chewing is painfully loud. Yawning sounds like I am in a wind tunnel. Just opening my mouth causes a series of pops and cracks.

So, what did I do?

Please do a test for me...have a friend read something to you over the phone. Then repeat the exercise, placing the phone next to the other ear. Compare the sensitivities of each ear to the speech sounds broadcast over the telephone. Please report back with the results of the comparison.

KimkiD
08-07-2008, 10:49
My left ear is a little bit sharper than my right ear. However both ears seem to be a little more sensitive to sound than usual. It's very annoying.

wgt
08-07-2008, 10:52
My left ear is a little bit sharper than my right ear. However both ears seem to be a little more sensitive to sound than usual. It's very annoying.

Which ear is more sensitive to the sounds from inside your mouth and throat?

KimkiD
08-07-2008, 11:34
The right ear. But both are sensitive. It sounds like a concrete truck when I'm eating. Scary stuff.

sravin1
08-07-2008, 11:42
I have a feeling that its water in your ear. you might have an infection if you dont let it out in atleast a couple of days. my advise would be to go see a doctor asap.

wgt
08-07-2008, 12:04
The right ear. But both are sensitive. It sounds like a concrete truck when I'm eating. Scary stuff.

The fact that you feel that your ears are more sensitive to sound presented to the outer ear is a bit worrisome. A pair of small muscles in the middle ear normally restricts movement of the bones to protect the nervous part of the hearing apparatus. Some disease processes and traumatic events can weaken these muscles either temporarily or permenently, leading to persistently elevated sensitivity to sound (hyperacusia). For example, persons with facial paralysis associated with Bell's palsy often experience pathologically elevated sensitivity to sound due to damage of the nerve supplying one of the muscles in the middle ear. Damage to the nerve that operates the jaw can have a simliar impact on hearing.

Despite the serious sounding nature of the foregoing possibility, a physical examination by a physician is required for confirmation (tests with an i-phone and a hamburger administered by a fellow diver somewhere out there in cyberspace are hardly conclusive). Under these circumstances, it is possible that the problems will resolve in a few days, as suggested by other posters, even if the muscular or nervous components of the middle ear are involved. However, I would also encourage caution with early clinical assessment and monitoring, for obvious reasons.

ReefHound
08-07-2008, 13:20
In any event, do not go diving again until you have seen a doctor or it has been 100% cleared up for a number of days.

KimkiD
08-07-2008, 13:52
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the help and will keep you posted just so everyone's curiosity is soothed.

KimkiD
08-12-2008, 13:41
After two days my ears returned to normal...if anything my hearing is just a touch better than before. Odd...but I'm not hearing a concrete truck in my mouth everytime I chew....and no odd pops and crackles.

Thank you everyone.

Rileybri
08-12-2008, 13:53
and no odd pops and crackles

Well that explains it, the rice crispy finally fell out of your ear! You were hearing the snap crackle and pop (the TM of rice Crispi’s) of moisture hitting the crispy. Just be glad it was not a coco pop in there! Although this begs to ask the question, why did you have rice Crispi’s in your ear ???:smiley36:

sravin1
08-12-2008, 15:46
glad to hear everything is back to normal.

KimkiD
08-13-2008, 09:03
and no odd pops and crackles

Well that explains it, the rice crispy finally fell out of your ear! You were hearing the snap crackle and pop (the TM of rice Crispi’s) of moisture hitting the crispy. Just be glad it was not a coco pop in there! Although this begs to ask the question, why did you have rice Crispi’s in your ear ???:smiley36:

LOL...I think the cat put them there.

snagel
08-13-2008, 09:34
Good to hear things are back.....Don't put of seeing a doc if it is required.

Just for future thought....one thing a lot of divers use is a mixture of 50% vinigar & 50% alcohol. Put this in your ears after a dive. This will help clean the ear (limit ear infections) and dry out the ears. I haven't had an ear problem since starting this. Obviously, don't put off seeing a doc if warrented, this is not a cure, just preventative thing.

Snagel