PDA

View Full Version : What is an ideal buddy like?

cummings66
08-11-2007, 14:58
OK, here's a question not asked and I'll toss it out for discussion. What traits does a good buddy have? What do you personally consider a buddies duty to be?

For me a buddy is the person who's there by your side backing you up at all times. They stick to you and won't wander off to look at a fish leaving you gasping for air. They're the person who swims side by side with you, up and down, wherever you are look sideways and there they are.

If you end the dive the buddy goes up with you and doesn't give you grief later on.

What I expect of a buddy more than anything else is that they be there when and if I need them, but we're also a team and so I'm not the leader or follower. We're there together diving the plan we come up with. A buddy will talk with you, not to you. They're a good friend, one you trust with your life. Basically a good decent human being who's my friend and trusts me with his life as I do him with mine. We usually share a common interest outside of diving as well, sometimes we just chat.

What I don't expect of a buddy is that they risk their life for me. If I'm going down and it gets deep I don't expect them to follow me down and probably expire with me.

To me, my job as a buddy means that I will be there with you and do my absolute best to have a fun safe dive.

medic001918
08-11-2007, 15:30
You pretty much summed it up Matthew. That's why my favorite buddy is my fiance. I trust her and we have a great time diving together. Actually, we have plans to dive on our honeymoon next month. I would do anything to keep her safe.

Shane

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 16:18
yep alot got covered, what it all boils down to is having a buddy that has your back in a pinch, not some yahoo who is a buddy and keeps going off and doing their own thing (against the dive plan).

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 16:34
i almost forgot this one, someone whos not afraid to buy a round of beers.

medic001918
08-11-2007, 17:40
I'm not afraid to buy 'em...I just don't drink them any more.

Shane

cummings66
08-11-2007, 18:23
I thought about one other one, a buddy would most likely have similar interests. It's not good for one to be into macro photography and the other is a speed racer.

I know in my case many of my buddies are pilots and we talk about flying during the SI.

porsche060
08-12-2007, 15:54
An ideal buddy is someone who has a 3 day semi-video resort cert and due to the course is very confident they know the right way to do things :-)

cummings66
08-12-2007, 18:44
I dove with one of those today.

porsche060
08-12-2007, 19:49
Must have been a fun trip. Care to give highlights?

paintballindivr
08-12-2007, 19:59
i think a great dive buddy would be the persons wife for a few reasons

1. u get to see her in a wetsuit
2. all u hear from her all day is 'BUBBLE BUBBLE BUBBLE'
and 3 u trust her

plot
08-12-2007, 20:57
a good buddy is one i don't have to save.

yet he's there to save me when i need it

plot
08-12-2007, 20:58
i think a great dive buddy would be the persons wife for a few reasons

1. u get to see her in a wetsuit
2. all u hear from her all day is 'BUBBLE BUBBLE BUBBLE'
and 3 u trust her

I dunno, with my wife (if I had one), i'd be overprotective and worried about her the entire dive instead of enjoying the dive. Also, if something happened to her, i'd probably risk my own life to save her and we'd both end up corpses.

I'll do what I can to save my current dive buddies, but not if it means dropping to 200 feet and killing myself too.

cummings66
08-15-2007, 22:23
Must have been a fun trip. Care to give highlights?

Well lets just say he had NO buoyancy control at all. He was either laying in the mud or floating on the surface. I have never said this before to anybody, but this one was told to get in a pool and do some work because you're dangerous right now.

As a dive buddy I do have responsibilities but one of them should not be to push your inflator button when needed. If you haven't done this it's easy to do and you can actually get it pretty easy, we did it in our rescue class. But I should not have that job because what if something happens to me, who's going to push the button as needed?

The only time I managed his buoyancy for him was when we hit an area of maybe 1 foot visibility and I didn't want to lose him, so I controlled him and maintained physical contact. Other than that I hoped he'd pick it up. We did the dive in a shallow quarry so there was little risk, but still...

cummings66
08-15-2007, 22:35
I'll do what I can to save my current dive buddies, but not if it means dropping to 200 feet and killing myself too.

I did a 2.0 PPO2 to save a buddy once, not sure why other than I told his wife I'd take care of him. I just didn't count on him doing something stupid and then getting narc'd at the same time.

I know this much, as I was going down in my mind I was thinking about how far I was willing to go, trying to come up with a point where I'd surface without him. You know it's really tough to say when, I know I had an idea in mind but who knows for sure if I would have stopped. I broke my 1.6 PPO2 decision point and the second one was 2.0 which I made. Would I have broke it for a complete insta buddy? I honestly don't know and I hope to never again test my limits that way. The intellectual answer is no I wouldn't have done it because I have a family to take care of, but my sense of responsibility is pretty high to a buddy, not one that I take lightly. However I feel my buddy owes me the same respect and in this case he could have shown it but then he was narc'd. At least when I caught him I managed to convince he to go up, and around 110 feet he seemed to start acting better and by 90 he was fine.

Buoyant1
08-16-2007, 20:50
Hmmm besides one that's willing to drive me to the site/boat and buy the pizza beer afterwards...One that is easy to dive with! Meaning that they are in control, you can trust them in an emergency, and knows the 'pace' to dive! I've done dives with people that were in such a hurry it wasn't funny..I like that nice slow pace!

cummings66
08-16-2007, 23:01
I had one buddy who told me I was an ideal buddy because I moved real slow under water and didn't race. To me that's how a dive should be done, I've done way too many where I had to work hard to keep up.