PDA

View Full Version : Project Aware

Wkndbum
08-07-2008, 20:17
Sept 13 Project Aware Table Rock

Who's going?

I'm going to try & make it but not for sure yet.

Terry

mm2002
08-08-2008, 11:42
We'll be there. There will definitely be plenty of cleaning needed at Moonshine!

skdvr
08-08-2008, 11:54
I have wanted to come down for that for several years and stll have not made it. Again this year I have to work....

Phil

mm2002
08-08-2008, 12:22
I have wanted to come down for that for several years and stll have not made it. Again this year I have to work....

Phil

Phil, maybe this will help:
Need-a-Day-Off (http://www.wikihow.com/Call-in-Sick-When-You-Just-Need-a-Day-Off)

skdvr
08-08-2008, 13:08

Phil

Need-a-Day-Off (http://www.wikihow.com/Call-in-Sick-When-You-Just-Need-a-Day-Off)

That would probably work, except that I work for my Dad, and he would wonder why I was calling in sick and heading to his house at the lake...

Thanks for the idea though...:smiley20:

Phil

mm2002
08-08-2008, 13:14

Phil

That would probably work, except that I work for my Dad, and he would wonder why I was calling in sick and heading to his house at the lake...

Thanks for the idea though...:smiley20:

Phil

Ouch, yeah that may not work too well in your case!

Wkndbum
08-13-2008, 20:24
Just saw this in the Baxterbullitin newspaper. Will the Corp still allow the Project Aware dive to headquarter out of there?

Lewis said the Corps knows plenty right now about "base failure" underneath asphalt and concrete structures in campgrounds. What Corps parks managers see spells out a costly and lengthy recovery effort, Lewis said.
The most recent evidence of major base failure came last week with the collapse of a concrete retaining wall around the public parking area at Moonshine Beach (http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080813/NEWS01/808130313&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL#) and Recreation Area on Table Rock Lake. Lewis said the bases underneath all asphalt and concrete surfaces inundated for six months or longer will likely result in some damage to all those structures, including some that will require razing and reconstruction.

mm2002
08-14-2008, 22:53
I was kinda wondering why they were planning it there in the first place, as that park seems aways away from opening back up to the public again. I don't know though.

DrRobb
08-17-2008, 04:21
I'm planning on making it this year. No other trips planned for that weekend...

BillS
08-21-2008, 08:33
I have the date on my calendar and am planning on being there. If I attend, my daughter will probably be there also. I missed it last year.

mm2002
09-06-2008, 21:22
If I attend, my daughter will probably be there also.

Hey, that could work out good. I'll have my two girls with me. How old is your daughter?

BillS
09-07-2008, 08:07
She's a little older than your two and my diving buddy. You've got two great looking girls! I hope you can get them interested in diving. It's a great way to spend time with your kids.

mm2002
09-07-2008, 08:35
She's a little older than your two and my diving buddy. You've got two great looking girls! I hope you can get them interested in diving. It's a great way to spend time with your kids.

Darn it! I'm really hoping there will be other kids around their age for them to play with. If not, it may be a short day for me.
Oh yeah, the oldest wants to dive. Just two more years!
I'm letting her do the bubblemaker thing for her birthday the end of this month, and she's excited!

cummings66
09-09-2008, 07:03
I'm coming down this weekend with my wife Judy, my friend Melanie (that's who you saw last time I was there Mark) and all of our kids. Elizabeth is 5, her's are I think 8 and 13.

We're staying at the Table Rock Inn so all that's left now is to try and get a van so we can share a ride down there. Otherwise we'll be in separate cars, but we'll be there no doubt.

I called the dive shop and they're still on for the weekend but it does look like some storms might be there, at least weatherunderground says 40%. So I think it may be diveable but we'd have to work around some storms, maybe. Rain is ok, lightning isn't. I'll figure it out when I'm there.

mm2002
09-09-2008, 08:02
I'm coming down this weekend with my wife Judy, my friend Melanie (that's who you saw last time I was there Mark) and all of our kids. Elizabeth is 5, her's are I think 8 and 13.

We're staying at the Table Rock Inn so all that's left now is to try and get a van so we can share a ride down there. Otherwise we'll be in separate cars, but we'll be there no doubt.

I called the dive shop and they're still on for the weekend but it does look like some storms might be there, at least weatherunderground says 40%. So I think it may be diveable but we'd have to work around some storms, maybe. Rain is ok, lightning isn't. I'll figure it out when I'm there.

I'll look forward to seeing you again Matt, and hopefully there will be some diving. Great news about the kids being there, perfect ages too! I've still got your cel, and I'll PM you my new one so you'll have it.

BillS
09-09-2008, 10:21

Talking about rain and lightning reminded me of a dive at Moonshine Beach last summer. We entered the water with heavy cloud cover and while down about 25'-30' began noticing faint flashes of light coming from above. I decided it must be lightning! Didn't know weather to surface and make a dash for cover or just stay down. Ended up sulking on the bottom for about 30 minutes until things settled down. Upon surfacing we learned there had indeed been a thunderstorm, with lightning, which dropped a considerable amount of rain. I later read an article which stated a diver, while in the water, was not grounded and in no danger of electric energy produced from lightning and would be safe as long the diver was deep enough to avoid injury from a direct strike. I believe, given a choice though, I would rather be tucked away high and dry on solid ground! :raincloud:

cummings66
09-10-2008, 21:46
That's pretty much what I've heard, but never how deep is deep enough. That's the part that scares me.

BillS
09-11-2008, 07:27
That's pretty much what I've heard, but never how deep is deep enough. That's the part that scares me.

Yea, me too. Hope we never have to find out! :smiley5:

SteveC
09-11-2008, 21:49
I’m certainly not an expert on the matter, but logic would tell me that if lightening could electrocute you in the water, then there should be a lot of dead fish floating on the surface after each storm.

mm2002
09-11-2008, 22:04
Iím certainly not an expert on the matter, but logic would tell me that if lightening could electrocute you in the water, then there should be a lot of dead fish floating on the surface after each storm.

Nope, because I've heard that fish are immune to electricity! :smiley20:

Wkndbum
09-12-2008, 05:02
Iím certainly not an expert on the matter, but logic would tell me that if lightening could electrocute you in the water, then there should be a lot of dead fish floating on the surface after each storm.

Fish & Game people use shocking gear to "stun" fish which brings them to the surface for fish counts/surveys and collecting eggs.

cummings66
09-12-2008, 07:12
Plus, I've seen videos of people doing that to catch them the easy way. Not legal but I've seen the videos on the Internet.

Terry, are you coming down? I'm leaving around 4:30 tonight so I can be there and get wet during the SI.

mm2002
09-12-2008, 07:17
I sure hope the weather forecast is wrong! They're now saying 80% chance of thunderstorms all day tomorrow. A little rain doens't bother me, but the "thunderstorm" part does. Everybody start praying now.

BillS
09-12-2008, 07:39

Fish & Game people use shocking gear to "stun" fish which brings them to the surface for fish counts/surveys and collecting eggs.

Very true. Electrofishing is accomplished by hanging two electrodes, generator or battery powered into the water. The electric field is influenced by several factors but is usually only a few feet, typically 6-8 feet to the sides and below each electrode.

mm2002
09-12-2008, 10:41
The old hillbilly method was using one of the crank generators out of the old "crank up" telephones.

mm2002
09-12-2008, 19:18

Ummm yeah....I was kidding. :smiley20:

Wkndbum
09-12-2008, 19:39
Terry, are you coming down? I'm leaving around 4:30 tonight so I can be there and get wet during the SI.

No, can't make it.

I think maybe my next chance to get down that way will be for a New Years weekend dive.

cummings66
09-12-2008, 21:29
It will be good to see you then, for now I'm at Tablerock Inn and I'm hoping to get some dives in.

snagel
09-13-2008, 09:59
Give us a heads up on the conditions. It's pouring her in the Warrensburg area.

Snagel

cummings66
09-13-2008, 13:04
so far it's dry. Back to diving.

BillS
09-14-2008, 08:09
To the two guys, I won't say who, that didn't go back out on the boat yesterday afternoon, we changed locations. We went to the cove just north of Jake's Point and dove under the boat docks. That's the place to pick up trash! We almost ran out of trash bags by the end of the dive. One diver even found a jet ski! :smiley9:

snagel
09-14-2008, 08:16
Thanks to everybody that participated in the Project Aware. I wish I could have made it down, but had other obligations. This needs to be done more often - I'm just curious how many fishermen where there cleaning things up.

Anyway, would love to get an update on the conditions at Scuba Steves' Midwest Muck Diving Conditions (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com)

Thanks again,

Snagel

mm2002
09-14-2008, 11:08
To the two guys, I won't say who, that didn't go back out on the boat yesterday afternoon, we changed locations. We went to the cove just north of Jake's Point and dove under the boat docks. That's the place to pick up trash! We almost ran out of trash bags by the end of the dive. One diver even found a jet ski! :smiley9:

Ha! Wonder who those two guys were??? :smiley36:
Yeah, we didn't find squat on our shore dive, and wished we'd went back on the boat again. I'll say one thing though, we went to 50 ft and it was a total night dive. That area of the lake has no vis to speak of.

Really nice to meet ya Bill, look forward to doing some more diving with ya.

cummings66
09-14-2008, 19:36
I do wonder... I found a beer bottle and 2 beer cans. I forgot, I found a nice new looking mask, pretty nice but decided to give it to my buddy Mark...

We had fun diving together and come up to shore and the kids really enjoyed it when we got there. They love the water and someday hope to become divers, so they claim. Good event and even with poor vis it was still fun.

mm2002
09-14-2008, 19:53
I do wonder... I found a beer bottle and 2 beer cans. I forgot, I found a nice new looking mask, pretty nice but decided to give it to my buddy Mark...

We had fun diving together and come up to shore and the kids really enjoyed it when we got there. They love the water and someday hope to become divers, so they claim. Good event and even with poor vis it was still fun.

Thanks for the mask, Matt...you shouldn't have! :smiley36:
Kind of a funny story about that.....I have bought probably 10 or more masks over the last year or so, and I still hadn't found one I really liked. That one is a Seadive which I just paid $130 for last week, and it's by far the best I've had yet. Fits perfect, never leaks a drop, and doesn't fog at all...... then, playing around with the kids in the shallows I lose it. My heart sank (along with the mask), but my buddy Matthew saved the day!

Hey Matt, tell Judy that, again, I said a special thanks to her for helping out with the kids. If it weren't for you guys I wouldn't have been able to dive. :smiley31:

cummings66
09-15-2008, 08:59
Not a problem, she enjoyed it and I know my daughter had more fun than she would have had without more kids around. It worked for both of us. I'll pass it along though.

BillS
09-17-2008, 10:49
Thanks to everybody that participated in the Project Aware. I wish I could have made it down, but had other obligations. This needs to be done more often - I'm just curious how many fishermen where there cleaning things up.

Anyway, would love to get an update on the conditions at Scuba Steves' Midwest Muck Diving Conditions (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com)

Thanks again,

Snagel

As far as I know there were no fishermen. Everyone was a diver or with a diver.

mm2002
09-18-2008, 18:57

Thanks again,

Snagel

As far as I know there were no fishermen. Everyone was a diver or with a diver.

I'm pretty sure Snagel meant that kinda sarcastically.........and I agree:smiley36: