PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Traffic School

thesmoothdome
08-11-2007, 15:30
Just finished my latest experience in traffic school. What a waste of time!! I guess doing it online sure beats the 8 hour class, but do we really learn anything? Sigh...another gimick to make money off of honest working folks.

3rdEye
08-11-2007, 15:34
too many speeding tickets?

thesmoothdome
08-11-2007, 15:39
too many speeding tickets?

Naw. I made an illegal left out of shopping center. Evidently, there was a sign saying no left turn 9am-6pm Monday-Friday. Its summer. I don't know what day it is, nor do I want to.

3rdEye
08-11-2007, 15:43
those are kinda hard to fight i guess....i'm suprised they would make you do a traffic course for that though. Any points?

thesmoothdome
08-11-2007, 15:44
those are kinda hard to fight i guess....i'm suprised they would make you do a traffic course for that though. Any points?

No points if you do traffic school. If I get another moving violation in the next 18 month, then there are points.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 16:03
i would almost want to get the points instead of having to go to school for 8 hours.

georoc01
08-11-2007, 16:05
When I was a kid, I went just for the insurance discount. Its a pain, but was worth it financially.

3rdEye
08-11-2007, 16:19

No points if you do traffic school. If I get another moving violation in the next 18 month, then there are points.

worth it to avoid the points ....i always show up to fight speeding tickets, just to avoid the points. usually the cop who issued it will bargain with you before the hearing.

cummings66
08-11-2007, 17:42
Really, so if I'm doing 80 in a 70 they'll bargain with me? Not that I speed, my job depends on me not getting a ticket so I never speed.

ReefHound
08-11-2007, 18:13
If you have a commercial class C license you are ineligible for many of the alternatives like driver ed or deferred disposition. But in general, if you plead innocent and demand a jury trial, they don't have the resources to waste on petty tickets and they will try their best to plea it away. It gets trickier on multiple offense tickets but single violations usually get offered deferral of disposition - don't commit another traffic offense and it is dismissed. But commint another offense and you're on the hook for both, plus you'll pay about the same amount in "court costs" and fees as if you just paid the fine. They are gonna get their money under any of the alternative options.

thesmoothdome
08-11-2007, 18:20
Really, so if I'm doing 80 in a 70 they'll bargain with me? Not that I speed, my job depends on me not getting a ticket so I never speed.

That's what radar detectors are for. Wouldn't leave home without mine.

i would almost want to get the points instead of having to go to school for 8 hours.

In Cali we can do traffic school on line. Takes about 45 minutes if you're quick. Costs the same as attending an 8 hour class too.

94GTStang
08-12-2007, 17:05
Blah, been there done that. I got stuff out of my traffic school though. I thought it was pretty fun. Of course we were on a track with our cars.

Splitlip
08-12-2007, 17:21
We have a comedy traffic school. Was not to bad compared to the others I have used.

porsche060
08-13-2007, 10:44

Ne happy you dont live in VA with the fees they instituted on tickets.

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 10:59

Ne happy you dont live in VA with the fees they instituted on tickets.

Fees aren't good in Cali either. A few years ago, I got caught at a photo red light = $300.00 (I was 4/10ths of a second late and had a car screaming up my butt) Then there was the 44 in a 35 (turned to a 35 right at the moment I got caught...my fault, no radar detector) = $216.00. This illegal left that I made was $188.00. When you do traffic school, they charge you extra court fees for the privledge.

Harshal
08-13-2007, 11:08
Dude you still got the easy end, how about $1150 speeding ticket. This lady was given a speeding ticket in VA for $1150 coz she was trying to rush to hospital as she was about to have a baby.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/11/AR2007081101352_pf.html
This is just ridiculous...........

deepdiver47
08-13-2007, 11:25
Just finished my latest experience in traffic school. What a waste of time!! I guess doing it online sure beats the 8 hour class, but do we really learn anything? Sigh...another gimick to make money off of honest working folks.

Do you want to know why you were pulled over? It's because you were a Saints fan. The cop could just tell by looking at you:smilie_haendehoch:

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 11:34
Dude you still got the easy end, how about $1150 speeding ticket. This lady was given a speeding ticket in VA for $1150 coz she was trying to rush to hospital as she was about to have a baby.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/11/AR2007081101352_pf.html
This is just ridiculous...........

OK, that wins! That's ridiculous.

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 11:37

Do you want to know why you were pulled over? It's because you were a Saints fan. The cop could just tell by looking at you:smilie_haendehoch:

Bah...None of tickets were while wearing my Ricky Jackson, Ricky Williams or Reggie Bush jerseys :smiley2:. And if anything, that may help get me out of the ticket. People love the Saints now:smiley32:

ScubaToys Larry
08-16-2007, 08:22
It was pointed out to me (by multiple people reporting) that this thread, got a little off topic and a little too heated... So I've trimmed off where it turned from traffic school to politics. If any of you guys that were in the "discussion" from that point on, want to continue... I'd like to suggest we take it into a private chat room, pms, or any back alley.

I don't like playing censor, but when multiple people complain that a thread is getting out of hand, it seemed like the right thing to do. If any of you feel otherwise, let me know, and I do have the posts saved, and we can put them somewhere else, maybe in a private forum if you guys are not done....

But maybe best if we turn our efforts toward some...oh... I don't know... Scuba?

94GTStang
08-16-2007, 08:26
Wow.... it pretty much consisted of the entire thread getting edited :smiley36:

Ah... keyboard warriors

ReefHound
08-16-2007, 08:50
I don't like playing censor, but when multiple people complain that a thread is getting out of hand, it seemed like the right thing to do. If any of you feel otherwise, let me know, and I do have the posts saved, and we can put them somewhere else, maybe in a private forum if you guys are not done....

I would agree that it went off topic and perhaps the thread should have been split but I don't think it qualified for complete censorship. Sure there were passionate positions taken but I don't recall anything "personal" or profanity or insults. Surely it's not a forum crime to disagree on issues?

(But I think we were done.)

ScubaToys Larry
08-16-2007, 09:02
Ok then... Here is where it split off into the other discussion.. But let's keep it so I don't get more posts complaining about folks yelling at each other...

Let's just all remember... we're all brothers in scuba, and no matter what your political or social views are... I'd still let you use my octo at 100 feet if you were out of air. Just some of you - I'd charge for it. :smiley2:

Here's your thread...

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1826

creggur
08-16-2007, 09:27
While I respect Larry's decision to split the thread in two. After reading through the exchange in the split thread, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would have complained about it. There were different view points, but it didn't seem to me that anyone was disrespectful, or that it got out of hand....Hmmmm
If something in a thread is bothering you, you don't have to participate in it.. If no one is being beligerent there is really no need to bother Larry with it...IMO

ScubaToys Larry
08-16-2007, 09:35
I don't know... it was off topic... but so many threads are... but you must admit, that there was more and more capitalization (shouting) going on as the thread progressed... But there it is - it's it's own thread now with a title that makes more sense for the topic covered - so no harm - no blood - no foul.

creggur
08-16-2007, 09:46
I'll say this and drop it, as I don't want to drag this out...

I agree that it got off topic, and you are right that the participants were getting more animated in their arguements..
I just don't want this place to turn into a playground environment where you are being flooded with finger pointing and tattle-taling (sp) to the point that it becomes more trouble than it's worth. Seen this happen in other forums where the admins just throw up their hands because they have to get involved in every little disagreement that occurs, that's all..

To keep this SCUBA related, I just received the backpad for my Brigade from the nice man in the brown truck....its preeettttyyy!!!!!

thor
08-16-2007, 09:53
Wow. I didn't know that the Grand Poobah had the power to Banish. Cool. I don't think I have the banish feature on my keyboard.

Although I am not a fan of censorship, I do think that ST has the right to send people to their rooms if they behave badly, without dinner.

mike_s
08-16-2007, 10:53
You'll want to stay out of Alabama this week. They are having a weeklong blitz to reducing speeding.

Troopers issue 5 times normal ticket number

MONTGOMERY (AP) — The second day of a statewide highway crackdown went like the first, with state troopers writing five times as many tickets as they did on the comparable day last year.

Troopers wrote 5,741 tickets Tuesday, the state Department of Public Safety reported Wednesday.

On the same comparable day last year, Tuesday, Aug. 15, they wrote 1,047.

On Tuesday, troopers issued 2,445 tickets for speeding and 1,057 for seat belt or child restraints violations.

They also made 154 non-traffic arrests, such as for illegal drugs.

On Monday, the first day of the “Take Back Our Highways” program, troopers wrote 5,989 tickets, compared to 1,150 on the same day a year earlier.

The Department of Public Safety launched the five-day crackdown and put an extra 200 troopers on the road because of Alabama’s rising highway death rate.

On Tuesday, troopers responded to 75 accidents on rural roads, with 32 injuries and no deaths.

On the comparable day a year ago, they worked 100 wrecks with 42 injuries and no deaths.

loudgonzo
08-16-2007, 12:09
I'll say this and drop it, as I don't want to drag this out...

I agree that it got off topic, and you are right that the participants were getting more animated in their arguements..
I just don't want this place to turn into a playground environment where you are being flooded with finger pointing and tattle-taling (sp) to the point that it becomes more trouble than it's worth. Seen this happen in other forums where the admins just throw up their hands because they have to get involved in every little disagreement that occurs, that's all..

To keep this SCUBA related, I just received the backpad for my Brigade from the nice man in the brown truck....its preeettttyyy!!!!!

Wow, what a good read on that other thread, at least from the outside. I try and stay away from those, Anyways, I also recieved a package from the man in the brown truck a few days ago. A shiny black AL80 tank. It's very pretty to look at, I just might not want to dive it for fear of scratching it up.....on the other hand....I don't care, I WANT to scratch it up with hard use

creggur
08-16-2007, 12:22
I understand, I can't wait to try out my new back pad Saturday!!!!

reservecops
08-16-2007, 13:26
I would agree that it went off topic and perhaps the thread should have been split but I don't think it qualified for complete censorship. Sure there were passionate positions taken but I don't recall anything "personal" or profanity or insults. Surely it's not a forum crime to disagree on issues?I'll have to agree with reefhound. Sure, we adamently disagree on the subject, but it's that part of "discussing" things? I mean, heck, if we were all gonna sit around, hold hands, and agree on everything, discussion forums (in general) would get pretty boring, pretty fast! Who knows, maybe we'll end up agreeing on something (else) some day ... :)

I do agree with the split to the new thread (for the sake of this thread's topic). Good call, Larry! :)

paintballindivr
08-16-2007, 13:38
i just finished a parent taught program i get 2 different discounts on insurance and was quick and easy

ammie
05-06-2008, 12:23
Hey!!!

Yes of course doing it online beats the time , but we can learn too in online courses but it depends on the online school you have join .:smiley32:
Approved Traffic School (http://www.freetrytrafficschool.com/index.jsp)

mm2002
05-06-2008, 18:46
Hey!!!

Yes of course doing it online beats the time , but we can learn too in online courses but it depends on the online school you have join .:smiley32:
Approved Traffic School (http://www.freetrytrafficschool.com/index.jsp)

:smiley36: Trolling for leads eh?
Did you check the date on this thread? This is old news, we've all learned how to drive now, so it's not an issue.

georoc01
05-07-2008, 11:15
Hey speeders! How cops will catch you - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/07/aa.speed.trap/index.html)