PDA

View Full Version : Fluctuating depth gauge

Splitlip
08-07-2008, 22:46
So how many people know that you should suck on your second stage while looking at your SPG to make sure your tank valve is open completely?
If you do, did you learn (really "learn") this in your open water? Or did you learn this from a source other than your Open Water class.

ScubaToys Larry
08-07-2008, 22:50
That probably won't tell you... It's not enough air. I tell my students to look at the gauge and hit the purge. If the tank is just cracked, it might still deliver enough air to keep the pressure gauge up - but a good purge blast will probably tell the tale.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
08-07-2008, 22:57
I learned to take several hard breaths while watching the SPG to make sure the tank is not turned off. I also learned the symptoms of an incompletely opened tank valve. Bouncing SPG at depth. My instructor told us a pretty scary story to go with it. He was voted instructor of the year at the LDS, and deservedly so.

I'm diving off the same boat as him this weekend. Will be the first time our diving paths have crossed since I was his student. I remember being in awe of his diving. Will be curious what I think now that I know a lot more.

mchain
08-07-2008, 23:25
I do it every dive. I wasn't taught to check for that in my class but an experienced diver told me some stories that encouraged me to be vigilant.

brandon
08-07-2008, 23:30
Larry's purge blast method is what I prefer - quicker to just hit the purge button than to put the regulator in your mouth and draw a breath.

I usually do it while walking to the beach to get into the water. If it's real cold out I'll wait until I can dunk the regulator to help keep it from freezing.

-B

Splitlip
08-07-2008, 23:32
Larry's purge blast method is what I prefer - quicker to just hit the purge button than to put the regulator in your mouth and draw a breath.

I usually do it while walking to the beach to get into the water. If it's real cold out I'll wait until I can dunk the regulator to help keep it from freezing.

-B

Where'd you learn?

Rileybri
08-07-2008, 23:42
As I stated in the original thread that started this thread I not only learned it I was hammered in to our heads in a similar fashion as "dint hold your berth" was. We did cover the purge method as well however we primarily used the deep berths off the second stage and octo as part of our pre dive gear check. I think the idea is that you are at least aware of the issue and are looking for it. The more I dive and the more I dive with other divers, the more I appreciate the thoroughness and detail of my OW course. It makes me want to keep going back for more.

brandon
08-07-2008, 23:47

-B

Where'd you learn?

Oh, crap - um, I learned from the bad experiences of others!

-B