PDA

View Full Version : Starting my Cavern Class

UCFKnightDiver
08-08-2008, 21:56
Starting my cavern class next weekend 8/16, and am really looking forward to it, but also a bit nervous but I think thats a good thing. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Jenn
08-08-2008, 22:05
Congratulations good luck with the class. I want to do cavern sometime. You will do just fine keep us posted. Have fun.

mchain
08-09-2008, 01:31
That sounds like a blast! Have fun, let us know how it goes.

caroln
08-09-2008, 02:37
You'll have a great time, but be prepared to be poor forever---you'll never be done buying gear once you start on that path :) Good luck, and cant wait to read your report when you're done.

stairman
08-09-2008, 09:11
Congrats on signing up.Cavern is an excellent class to become a more proficient diver.When I did my class I made my primary tie off and took off for the back of the cavern.OOPS forgot my secondary tie off.The other guy in the class did the same thing.We got chewed out afterwards.Coming out on the line,no mask air sharing the mouthpiece on his reg I was on came off in my mouth.That was sobering.I suggest getting a sidewinder reel instead of the old style with the metal L-shaped handle.They wont foul as easy reeling in and I have had the old style handle hang up on the line while attached to my hip D-ring.Practice with your reel in the yard at night so its familiar Good luck youll have fun...Randy

UCFKnightDiver
08-09-2008, 15:05
yeah I ended up getting a salvo 400ft sidewinder reel thanks for the suggestion though

stairman
08-09-2008, 16:24
Good choice.Just noticed your avatar.Padi /DIR diver,thats funny

UCFKnightDiver
08-09-2008, 16:25
LOL yeah just a joke :D im acctually taking cavern through the NACD with Jeff Bauer

stairman
08-09-2008, 16:40
After cavern youll tire of them and wanna go farther and farther.I did anyway.Doing Peacock/Orange Grove tomorrow.I never met Jeff but he's been around a while for sure.Im sure he's got teaching cavern down pat.

UCFKnightDiver
08-09-2008, 17:15
After cavern youll tire of them and wanna go farther and farther.I did anyway.Doing Peacock/Orange Grove tomorrow.I never met Jeff but he's been around a while for sure.Im sure he's got teaching cavern down pat.

Im confused tire of who?

stairman
08-09-2008, 17:18

Im confused tire of who?
Not who,them.The caverns.30 minutes is a long time in a cavern for me if Ive been there before.They do look good coming out from a long cave dive though.

UCFKnightDiver
08-09-2008, 17:25
oh lol I see what you mean, I thought about taking intro to cave with cavern, but in the end decided I would wait awhile in order to get more proficient in the skills I will be learning.

stairman
08-09-2008, 17:42
I wouldnt advise taking cavern with intro either.IMO,you should dive with other cave divers as a cavern diver before taking intro.Just inside the cave not far,so the reality of being in a cave dont hit all at once on the first day of intro,which is the hardest of them all.After several intro dives as skills and confidence are at their peak,then take apprentice/full together.But not cavern/intro.Too much to learn too fast.

UCFKnightDiver
08-17-2008, 17:02
well finished my cavern class today and let me say holy crap what an awesome expirience the improvement that I saw in my diving was enormous, and my respect and awe for the cavern zone grew. review to come of my class

Daz
08-17-2008, 17:28
Congrat Rox. Was it everything you hoped?

UCFKnightDiver
08-17-2008, 17:53
absolutely I would recomend this course to everyone, because it improves your diving so much, and the caverns are just awesome

fire diver
08-17-2008, 17:57
congrats. It's one of the classes I plan on taking next year. I hope mine is as good os yours. I look forward to your report.

UCFKnightDiver
08-17-2008, 18:10
well I would defintely recommend Jeff Bauer, great attitude, great sense of humor, in terms of diving he critiques you alot, and does tons of drills, he really makes sure you are ready for the cavern. He defintely tells you what you did wrong but isnt an ass hole about it which Is kinda nice because I have heard that some other cave instructors are like that.

ianr33
08-17-2008, 18:38
I wouldnt advise taking cavern with intro either.IMO,you should dive with other cave divers as a cavern diver before taking intro.Just inside the cave not far,so the reality of being in a cave dont hit all at once on the first day of intro,which is the hardest of them all..

It depends!

I did cavern and intro together and am glad I did. I had been doing deco dives for some years so was used to doubles,drysuits,reels and so on. Cavern was pretty straightforward but Intro certainly pushed my comfort zone.

I can see that going from OW to Intro Cave could be a little too exciting.

stairman
08-17-2008, 18:55
Congrats on the cavern cert.It is an excellent class to take.You learn more in two days than would take two years to achieve.Get ready to spend a lot more money if you go the cave route.And since you live in Florida you probably will.Dive at least monthly and practice what-if skills often.

UCFKnightDiver
08-17-2008, 19:08
thanks guys, and yeah I plan to go cave at some point. But at the moment my gear is kind of rec tec and I want to be using a back plate and doubles before I go any farther

caroln
08-18-2008, 11:01
Good idea to practice a lot at the skills you learned in cavern and become 100% comfortable both in the environment and with the skills. Especially being in FL, there's no rush to finish. The caves will be there right in your backyard when ever you are ready to take that step.

Sounds like it was a good class.

beperkins
10-16-2008, 15:14
Cavern should be called Teaser to Cave, because as mentioned above during cavern we all get that desire to go farther and farther. Exploits of the divers in Wakulla Springs sound like the closest thing to space exploration that most of us could ever aspire to.