PDA

View Full Version : Depth Guage malfunc

Miller9
08-08-2008, 22:17
I had an opportunity to get some pool time and check out some new gear. Pool was only 9'. At the bottom of the pool, bascially hovering on the bottom my Aeris Analog Depth guage never got past 2'. So I guess I'll borrow one and see how mine compares on the next real dive. Is this common to not be accurate at minimal depth, and the guage could be fine? Or is this something that only "my wallet" will be able to fix.

brandon
08-08-2008, 22:49
All of my depth gauges work fine at the bottom of a pool... I'd check it with a trusted depth gauge on a real dive and see what happens. Problem may go away if you take it deep then back up.

-B

crgjpg
08-09-2008, 07:39
I have the Aeris analog gauge also. I have seen that it is slow to react. I have not notice what you have. I will look on my next dive at a shollow depth.

Miller9
08-09-2008, 18:31
Thanks for the replies. I hope that it is just slow and taking it deep and then back up will be the cure. crgjpg, do you regret the analog? I was thinking of adding the Computer puck to mine, but I am not sure. $$$$. I also thought about getting a watch style computer and having both. I am trying to be careful that I dont over spend, but rather add the right new equiptment at the right time. A computer seems like the last thing, however at times it seems like I'd like it sooner.

mitsuguy
08-10-2008, 07:34
Thanks for the replies. I hope that it is just slow and taking it deep and then back up will be the cure. crgjpg, do you regret the analog? I was thinking of adding the Computer puck to mine, but I am not sure. $$$$. I also thought about getting a watch style computer and having both. I am trying to be careful that I dont over spend, but rather add the right new equiptment at the right time. A computer seems like the last thing, however at times it seems like I'd like it sooner.

IMO, a computer is a great backup for a new diver... it helped me - it reduces task loading just a little in case you get off of your original dive profile - using tables is great, and a good way to plan a dive, but a computer gives you a little extra freedom if you want to vary from your plan, and it alleviates some of the excessive info you need if doing a multilevel dive...

get the watch style computer - the GEO is on special here at ST and they are awesome...

character157
08-11-2008, 11:52
A couple of buddies of mine dive with Aeris consoles and instead of add a computer they went with wrist computers. The console/wrist computer set up is great-each is a back up for the other. Nothing wrong with a back-up in my book.

crgjpg
08-13-2008, 14:45

Sorry to reply so slow. I was out of town. I went with analog to begin. I am now getting a wrist computer. I figure that if something happens to the computer, I will have the analog as back up.

cbope
09-04-2008, 13:49
I recently bought an Oceanic analog 3-gauge console (SPG, depth, compass) with full knowledge that I would be getting a wrist computer in the very near future (my wife's buying me a Suunto D6 for my bday in a few weeks!). I like having the redundancy and don't mind the bigger console vs. just an SPG. However, I didn't get an air-integrated wrist computer because I just don't trust them enough (transmitter batteries depleted during a dive, etc.).