PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially a Jersey diver!

BoomerNJ
08-09-2008, 22:59
I did my first Jersey dive today on the Sea Girt reef. The Travis Tug (http://njscuba.net/reefs/site_nj02sg_travis.html), about 75' of water. This was my first boat dive & my first ocean dive. It was incredible & I can't wait to get out there again. This was my 3rd dive for my AOW card. I'm going out again in 3 weeks to finish it up (I'm going away next weekend, then my instructor is going away or it'd be sooner). At least now I can finally say I have gone diving in NJ! :smiley20:

Panmanmatt
08-10-2008, 09:35
Congrats!!! It's a totally different world diving off the Jersey coast. Glad your first experience was a good one.

BoomerNJ
08-10-2008, 09:58
Thanks, it definitely was different from the Quarribbean I'm used to (Dutch SPrings). LOL... If you're ever looking for a buddy, pm me!

Sansho
08-10-2008, 10:50
Congratulations. Interesting history on the tug, thanks for the link.

Panmanmatt
08-10-2008, 12:03
I am actually hoping to get a trip together out to DS with my local reef club in the near future.

I will definitely look you up when I am looking for a buddy or even just another person to dive with. My son and I got our OW cert together a few months ago so I usually dive with him but it is always nice having a few other folks in the group.

BoomerNJ
08-10-2008, 12:48
Congratulations. Interesting history on the tug, thanks for the link.

Thanks! For me the history of the wrecks is the best part. Even if it was sunk on purpose it's fun to know about how it got there & where it's been.

We were tied in at that mast in the picture, just forward of the bit (where they tied the tow lines) & aft of the cabin. So the first thing I saw after the shadow of the wreck itself rose out of the deep was that giant bit. It was so cool!

caroln
08-10-2008, 12:49
Congrats on your first wreck dive. My first Jersey wreck was the Venturo also in Sea Grit. There's a nice shore dive in the Back Bay in Belmar if you want to get some more Jersey experience without waiting on your next boat dive. I'm hoping to get a night dive in there before the season ends.

BoomerNJ
08-10-2008, 13:09
Hi Carol,

Thanks! We tried to hit the Venturo but missed it with the hook (the Captain's first time EVER missing that wreck, so we busted HER chops mercilessly, lol!). When we started doing the pattern again another dive boat started trying to jump our wreck. So we went to the Travis instead. When the mate went down to set the hook & found out we missed the wreck, he said the viz was crap anyway& to just let the other boat have it & avoid the problem. We had better viz anyway, so we made out pretty good. Plus from what the instructors said, the Travis is in better shape. The Venturo, according to them is just a hull now. The wheelhouse has collapsed completely.

I might be doing my night dive there in the back bay in a few weeks. I haven't dove any of the shore dives around here yet, but I definitely want to soon. Anytime you want to come down check out my LDS, Diver's Two (http://www.diverstwo.com/), they do Friday night dives there all the time... And it's free! There's a schedule on their site.

Take care & dive safe!

C

thor
08-11-2008, 13:33
Congrats. I just did a Joysey wreck dive also this weekend and it is definitely a unique diving experience. Lobsters, flounders, crabs. If I had a knife and fork I would have eaten down there. Also the first time I had done a side roll off of a boat. The amount of DIY gear was also astounding. Came away with some great ideas.

BoomerNJ
08-11-2008, 14:55
Thanks Thor! It was funny actually, on the wreck I dove... There was not a keeper on the wreck the whole time down there. We didn't bother telling the two boats that were trying to fish where we were diving though... My instructor wanted to swim over & tie their lines to the wreck...

Panmanmatt
08-11-2008, 15:34
Glad you had a great trip too, Thor. It's amazing the life these wrecks support.

thor
08-11-2008, 15:46
Thanks. I was also amazed by the amount of jellyfish. We had been seeing an increased amount at the beaches and heard reports about swarms of them this year. They were amazing to watch, especially the lion mane jellyfish. Glad I had my gloves on. I'll have to go back for a night dive.