PDA

View Full Version : One more Newbie!

mmf3279
08-11-2007, 20:09
Hello everyone! I am a newly certified PADI OW Diver as of Aug 5, and TDI Nitrox certified Aug 8. I am hoping to get in the Advanced OW within the next month. Hey... if you are going to do something... do it right! I have been reading this forum for the last couple of weeks and have found very useful info. I am in the process of researching which BC/REG/Computer to buy. I am really having a tough time with the BC due to the fact that I am a woman. There are 3 LDS in my area and b/w the 3 they only had 4 women's BCs to try on. I think I have decided on the Aqualung Legend ACD Supreme Regulator (1 LDS said they could add the knob on in the future if I wanted it to make it like the LX).
I need help with the computer. I want to be streamlined and I think I have decided on hoseless air integration wrist computer. I would like to hear from the board about which hoseless air wrist computer offers the best dependability, best features, and best value.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 20:10
hello and welcome to the board.

TxScubaBear
08-11-2007, 20:23
Howdy and welcome!!

plot
08-11-2007, 20:41
Hey... if you are going to do something... do it right!

uh oh... this will lead to many arguements in the future. there's a DIR crowd around here somewhere, you'll fit right in :smiley2:

medic001918
08-11-2007, 21:49
Congratulations and have fun diving.

As far as computer's go, there are plenty of options and even more opinions. Aeris makes a good computer at a fair price. The XR1 is decent. You can also climb the ladder and spend more and more money depending on what you're looking for. I would recommend getting something nitrox capable if you ever plan to take the course. Did you want an air integrated computer? Or simple non air integrated and a pressure gauge (which would be my recommendation).

Shane

kevinj1
08-11-2007, 22:44
hello and welcome to the board. Any questions, just ask...

Centerius
08-12-2007, 09:59
Welcome to the board! I'd recommend the Oceanic VT3 for a computer. I just bought mine and I love it. I'd also recommend getting a backup SPG. I bought the Tusa SCA-230T (it's pretty small).

mmf3279
08-12-2007, 10:26

uh oh... this will lead to many arguements in the future. there's a DIR crowd around here somewhere, you'll fit right in :smiley2:

Ok Newbie question what is DIR?

plot
08-12-2007, 12:07

Ok Newbie question what is DIR?

DIR is "Do It Right", it's a group of people that have a specific way of doing things and think anything else is ludicrous and you're out to kill yourself doing it. There's specific DIR guidelines, schools, etc. out there. It mainly involves how your gear is set up...

They like to argue with everyone else. :smiley2:

thesmoothdome
08-12-2007, 13:43
Welcome to the board. You'll love the AL Legend. It's a sweet breathing reg. I'm assuming you're going to be doing a lot of cold water diving because you're getting the Supreme. Where abouts are you located?

nferra2
08-12-2007, 13:56
Sorry, no more newbs, we are all filled up.

J/K, I am a newb too, greener than you even. Welcome aboard the board.

creggur
08-12-2007, 14:51
Larry posted an email he received from a DIR type that kind of shows their attitude toward things...Basically they have very strict guidelines on what equipment to use, and how diving should be done. They call it an "holistic approach to diving". Whatever, I guess if you are penetrating caves or wrecks it's probably not all bad, but some of the practicioners seem to go way overboard with the attitude that seems to come along with the DIR approach to diving...

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/dir.asp

Enjoy

plot
08-12-2007, 19:48
Larry posted an email he received from a DIR type that kind of shows their attitude toward things...Basically they have very strict guidelines on what equipment to use, and how diving should be done. They call it an "holistic approach to diving". Whatever, I guess if you are penetrating caves or wrecks it's probably not all bad, but some of the practicioners seem to go way overboard with the attitude that seems to come along with the DIR approach to diving...

Enjoy

lol... that about sums it up.

mmf, i have a Legend ACD LX and love it. The LX knob part can easily be added on, but i recommend going ahead and getting it if you plan on diving at depth.. maybe it's just me, but I adjust it frequently when I get down to 100 feet or so, makes the breathing easier. In shallower waters I forget it's there.

Foo2
08-13-2007, 11:57
Welcome to ST mmf3279! Congrats on your new cert!

thor
08-13-2007, 13:28
Welcome. I have an Aeris elite hoseless. Aeris makes very good value computers, but don't have all of the bells and whistles as others. I love it, although sometimes I forget that I have my pressure gauge on my wrist now. I will probably get an Air 2 so that I can get rid of my octo. the less hoses, the better IMHO, but people have their preferences. I suggest seeing if you can rent a computer or try someone's computer for a day, and see what kind of style you like. Sometimes things on the surface seem much better than they are at depth.

Dive-aholic
08-13-2007, 13:43
Welcome to the board! To answer your computer question, I'd recommend a wrist computer with a separate spg. I'm not a fan of the hoseless AIs. I did a dive once with someone with a hoseless AI that stopped working as soon as he hit the water. On the surface, it worked. They're just too much of a failure point right now.

As for the DIR comments...

First, I'm not DIR, never taken a DIR course, and don't subscribe to the "strict" DIR gear configuration. However, I feel the need to clarify some things. Not all DIR divers are the way they're being described here. Yes, there are some DIR divers that won't have it any other way or dive any other way and can be a$$holes, but most DIR divers are just regular divers with a different philosophy. They're nice people who will dive with non-DIR divers but prefer their own style. Please don't base your opinion of DIR divers on the comments of a few bad ones.

mmf3279
08-13-2007, 15:50

Enjoy

WOW! I sure did open a can a worms with my comment! That link is hilarious!!! I definetly am not DIR!! I believe in doing things the best and most efficient way, but I am ALWAYS open to suggestions.

thesmoothdome: I am located in NC. I will be diving locally in quarries and dive during travels to warmer destinations. I liked the ACD Supreme b/c of the silver. I didn't like the gold on the Legend ACD, I just thought it looked gawdy! :) Also the Legend's ACD feature looked more mechanically sound than the Oceanic DVT.

mmf3279
08-13-2007, 15:55
Welcome to the board! To answer your computer question, I'd recommend a wrist computer with a separate spg. I'm not a fan of the hoseless AIs. I did a dive once with someone with a hoseless AI that stopped working as soon as he hit the water. On the surface, it worked. They're just too much of a failure point right now.

As for the DIR comments...

First, I'm not DIR, never taken a DIR course, and don't subscribe to the "strict" DIR gear configuration. However, I feel the need to clarify some things. Not all DIR divers are the way they're being described here. Yes, there are some DIR divers that won't have it any other way or dive any other way and can be a$$holes, but most DIR divers are just regular divers with a different philosophy. They're nice people who will dive with non-DIR divers but prefer their own style. Please don't base your opinion of DIR divers on the comments of a few bad ones.

Thanks for your response. I keep reading posts about carrying a SPG with the Hoseless AI wrist computer, however, the reason I wanted a AI wrist comp. was to not have to carry a guage! I am now thinking a AI hose Computer. I like the features on the Aeris Atmos AI with Compass and Quick disconnect.

Buoyant1
08-13-2007, 20:27
Welcome! I'm planning on doing my AOW next month also...been putting it off, finally have a weekend that works!

uzzell20
08-14-2007, 18:05
welcome to the board there are many willing to answer questions here