PDA

View Full Version : I'm so frustrated!

thesmoothdome
08-11-2008, 22:58
So I see on ESPN.com that Michael Phelps is scheduled to swim at 7:15pm PST. Like the rest of America, I want to see if he can pull off the 8 golds he's after.

At 7:00pm, I flip over to NBC only to figure out that they're not starting coverage until 8:00pm. Now, you know it's 10:00pm on the east coast and they're going to see the race live. Why can't we? Are replays in prime time really going to draw a bigger audience than the live race? We live in an instantaneous society. I found out the results within minutes of the finish.

Sports are supposed to be watched live!!!! GRRRRRR!!!! Can you imagine if they delayed the Super Bowl or the World Series? Why do they do this garbage with the Olympics?

Splitlip
08-11-2008, 23:04
Phelps shmelps.

I got to watch Misty and Kerri!

mitsuguy
08-11-2008, 23:17
you got the shaft man, I watched it all live :)

different time zone though...

hooligan
08-11-2008, 23:20
You would think they would show it live, given all the press about Phelps as of late.

Lulubelle
08-12-2008, 05:22
$$$$$, that's why. More people will tune it at Primetime. I agree with you, it should be shown live too.

thesmoothdome
08-12-2008, 10:19
$$$$$, that's why. More people will tune it at Primetime. I agree with you, it should be shown live too.

I wonder about that. In the past that was true. In 1980, when the Americans played the Soviets in hockey for a chance to medal, ABC considered showing the game live at 5pm EST, but ultimately decided to stick with it in their prime time coverage because more people would watch. I know I was glued to my TV.

Life was different then though. We didn't know the results of the game until we saw it. Today, within minutes, the west coast had the results. I'd lay money on the fact that less folks watched on the west coast because of this. Invariably, this would affect the bottom dollar.

Less viewers = less revenue from advertising. If I'm paying 1/2 million dollars for a 30 second spot, I'd be pissed that I'm getting less bang for my buck on the west coast. I'm sure the networks don't break national events down by region when selling advertising, but as the buyer, I'm sure that something I would push for.

unclepooty
08-12-2008, 10:36
Phelps shmelps.

I got to watch Misty and Kerri!

+1:smiley20:

sravin1
08-12-2008, 11:30
saw it live...

i hate it when they call it deferred live. just call it a recorded event.

the same thing happens 3-4 times a year for the formula1 races too.

thesmoothdome
08-12-2008, 11:36
saw it live...

i hate it when they call it deferred live. just call it a recorded event.

the same thing happens 3-4 times a year for the formula1 races too.

They're not even doing that on west coast. NBC just leaves the LIVE overlay on the screen. It's pretty sad.

sravin1
08-12-2008, 16:12
you may have a potential case to talk to a lawyer about. they cannot have the live sign if it is not LIVE....

FailedExistence
08-13-2008, 12:08
I have the same complaint ... fortunately I was able to stay away from ESPN, CNN, etc for the men's 4x100 relay, but every other race has been spoiled for me so I have ended up not watching and just catching the video highlights when ESPN tells me about it.

NBC failed.

Skuttle
08-13-2008, 16:28
Don't know exactly what is up with the repeat showings at different times, but I have been recording everything from beginning, and end up with duplicates occasionally.

chinacat46
08-13-2008, 16:35
I have the same complaint ... fortunately I was able to stay away from ESPN, CNN, etc for the men's 4x100 relay, but every other race has been spoiled for me so I have ended up not watching and just catching the video highlights when ESPN tells me about it.

NBC failed.

Same crap here in CO. I guess the eastern and central time zones get the live feed. Maybe I can switch to satelite TV and pick up east coast stations.

No Misses
08-13-2008, 16:46
Are you as frustrated as...

A hair lip, trying to say Bingo when he's got Bingo? Mingo! Mingo!
A _____ who is trying to pee in the corner of a round room?
A one armed man hanging wall paper?
A one legged man in a butt kicking contest?
A water head trying on a turtle neck?

Really! How frustrated are you?